What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parachute recommend for a lightweight RV4 pilot

Kooshball

Well Known Member
I am to the point where I do acro (Solo) pretty much every flight in my RV4 and would like to get a parachute. I’m pretty light at 140-145lbs and hope that means I can use a thin, lightweight chute as well. I have zero experience with parachutes so any advice on what to buy, what not to buy would be appreciated. Also, if anyone is selling a chute that would work for me please let me know

Thanks!

I would look at a MicroSoftie or Mini.
I have a Mini with the aerobatic harness (keeps your belts off the harness hardware) and sheepskin pad.
I also have mine packed diaper-down to give lumbar support, otherwise it was killing my lower back. Made a big difference. That is a nice thing about Softies, the certification allows the packer some latitude in how it is packed.

Give them a call and see what they say.

As fly-mike says...call Softie, talk to Holly or Jimmy, and have them set you up with a _Micro 180_. They just had another "save"... a Reno Racer bailed out of his Cassutt IIIM and saved himself with a Softie. Central California, yesterday.

Paraphernalia
360 435-7220

I flew an RV4 with chute for 10 years, Para-Phernalia (Softie shell and harness) with 28' military canopy. It was a full sized backpack, bigger than a Micro or Mini. It worked well with seat back pad removed. Pilot weight is not a consideration for light pilot. The Softie Mini is 240 lbs max and Micro 180 or 240 lb max. Fitting in the airplane is important. Either one will work well in any RV. The Wedge Softie is also an option based on preference. I like the wedge as it gives more lower back support.

A safety chute is not a comfort accessory, but it's not bad, just not as comfortable as your padded upholstery. One option is padding or liner on chute to make it more comfy.

http://softieparachutes.com/parachutemodels/

Softie makes good stuff for pilot emergency chutes. I owned one. The prices are insane now. I paid under $400 for a slight used one 20 years ago.

Shop around. Other brands are also good (MarS ATL–15, Strong 311). Airshow season brings up some sales usually, but you can't go wrong with Softie. If buying new you have choice of shell color, trim color, web color, hardware, width (smaller width taller shell). The Wedge Softie works as well. Some options add to cost. I bought mine +20 yrs ago for about $400 used. Now they are 6 times that.

GET SOME GROUND instruction from someone who understands how to utilize them. There is a lot to think about and drill on the ground to make it "muscle memory". Also criteria on when to bail is critical. Practice or dry runs (with out actually pulling D-ring) is really important. Do NOT wait to pull D-ring with (BOTH HANDS). Also don't leave it in the plane. Take it out and get an old hard sided suite case to store it in. Store Chute in environmentally controlled storage (your house not hanger).

Last edited:
Back