What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airbox paint

Which paint do you recommend for painting the FAB (filtered airbox)?

I'm considering using Rustoleum Engine paint since it claims to be gasoline resistant.

Any comments will be much appreciated.

What Carl said. Nothing from a spray can is a tough as two-part auto paints.

I used West Systems epoxy pigmented black. Warm the airbox with a heat gun as you brush on the epoxy to help is flow out.
Stewart Willoughby, 6

Epoxy

I used West Systems epoxy pigmented black. Warm the airbox with a heat gun as you brush on the epoxy to help is flow out.
Stewart Willoughby, 6

That is a good idea! Thx
Still wondering if it needs a finish or if that's cosmetic.
My Frankensnorkel is still "Commando". I kinda like it.

No requirement

There's no requirement to finish the exterior of the airbox. I didn't! I don't think any of the Van's demos have a finished/ painted airbox.

It'll see limited UV exposure, so no need to protect it for that. Limited water exposure too, except maybe on the interior, and in any case fiberglass can handle that short-term moisture.

I'd say that any paint is purely cosmetic.

Dave

I'd say that any paint is purely cosmetic.

Dave

Perhaps, but I seal all cowl and FWF fiberglass to protect agains oil and such. And yes it is cosmetic, just like painting your plane.

Take the little bit of time to paint this along with baffles and such. You will have a much more “finished” look.

Carl
28356-A9-E-35-B6-4937-B3-E9-33-F41-E1-FFD46.jpg

I just use two part urethane paint I had on hand from the RV-10 paint. Just like the cowling, I want the fiberglass sealed up and finished with a durable glossy urethane paint that will not absorb any fine oil mist and can be easily cleaned off with either a solvent or non flammable cleaner such as Super Clean degreaser.

Attachments

• 61E7F7B2-EC6B-49F0-8DA1-B5A25E43AB00.png
    61E7F7B2-EC6B-49F0-8DA1-B5A25E43AB00.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Perhaps, but I seal all cowl and FWF fiberglass to protect agains oil and such. And yes it is cosmetic, just like painting your plane.

Take the little bit of time to paint this along with baffles and such. You will have a much more “finished” look.

Carl
28356-A9-E-35-B6-4937-B3-E9-33-F41-E1-FFD46.jpg
Carl

How come your top plate flange sits outside the airbox instead of inside, curious as im working on this now.

I wouldn't paint it. On down the road I'd rather be able to see staining as an indicator of stuff dripping where it shouldn't.

Carl

How come your top plate flange sits outside the airbox instead of inside, curious as im working on this now.
If you flip the top plate over you can fit an K&N E-1000 filter (same diameter as the stock filter, just a bit taller). The idea was more filter area equals to less pressure drop across the filter. I also found that this complemented the James RV-10 cowl to line up the cowl engine air inlet.

Carl

Given enough time, uncovered fiberglass looks...well...ugly.

Axalta/Spies Hecker - Permacron on my under cowl fiberglass pieces.

Slightly OT, I replaced all of the MS21919-WDG clamps with - WCH variants. Further, I'm considering changing them to the WCJ version -- to keep with the blue theme :)

IMG_4945.jpegIMG_4938.jpeg

Back