What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any e-scooters that fit into a tip up 7A?

SwimmingDragonfly96

Well Known Member
There are various threads on this subject, but I haven't seen any in the past couple of years. Given the rapid pace of advancement of e-scooter technology, does anyone know of one that will fit into the back of a 7a with minimal PITA effect?

We’ve got a couple of Segway Mini’s - the stalk comes off, don the fit fine in the baggage area. I think there are newer, probably smaller and lighter options today.

I know you didn’t ask about bikes but 2 flooding bikes fit in the back of my 9 so I don’t think you would have trouble with scooters. I looked at the Segway F35 and it is 45” long. I believe that will fit at an angle but you could make a box the size and try it. More goes back there than you think will fit!

Attachments

• FE1678D1-8DDA-4DB8-B068-22DFDE3C68DE.jpg
    FE1678D1-8DDA-4DB8-B068-22DFDE3C68DE.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 177
EUC

I find that the most compact form of electric transportation is an electric unicycle (EUC). Yes, there is a learning curve unlike a 2 wheeled contraption, but it is fun and rewarding to learn. Just wear knee pads and wrist guards. My current traveling EUC for my -7 is the Gotway MCM5. It has a reasonable 14” tire, good range, and goes about 23 mph. The main advantage of an electric unicycle is the compact size. In my RV-7 I can put my roller bag on one side of the cargo compartment and my unicycle on the other side. I’ve looked into regular scooters before and felt like it would be hard to get a bag in with the scooter. I’m not sure how easy it would be to put in a tip up RV as EUCs can get fairly heavy due to their batteries and motor.

Check out https://www.ewheels.com/shop/

Last edited:
I've found that the more useful such a vehicle is relative to speed and range, the less useful it is relative to size and weight. I've tried a Boosted Board, a One Wheel, and spent some time on my hangar neighbor's unicycle (In Motion). Sufficiently portable, but potentially dangerous, and the older you get, the greater the consequences of lunching the thing on a crack or rock that you wouldn't' even notice on a bicycle.

I gave up on convenience and have had a Segway Ninebot scooter for a few years. It's fast, easy to ride, and has a 28 mile range...as transportation it's great. But it's big and heavy. If folds up, but even so, getting it into the back of an RV is quite the exercise, and it think would be impossible without a SuperTrax canopy extension. These days, I mostly use the thing to zip around the airport visiting friends and getting to the bathroom (which seems to be getting farther away every year). Probably, there's a better compromise scooter out there than the one I have, but unless my mission changes I'm sticking with this Ninebot.

Attachments

• 341B6899-327B-4ACD-B7F2-D4E77D3E9418.jpeg
    341B6899-327B-4ACD-B7F2-D4E77D3E9418.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 94
My e-Skateboard fits in the back of my -6 tip-up. Saves a lot of space to not have that handlebar. Lycaon Swift, it's got a 30 mph top speed, or a 30 mile range... You can pick. ;)
Going faster shortens your range.

I have a Gotrax G4 I picked up before I had the RV. Fit well in the last plane but a bit large for the RV. Biggest block to get it in the back, the handle bars. If you find one that fits the width and has removable bars you should be fine. I can only take mine alone when I'm solo. Thought about modding the bars, but I think I'm just going to go with a set of the small bikes instead.

EUC 4 ME

I second the comments about Electric Unicylces. I have an Inmotion V8, which I bought used for $700. It fits perfectly behind the seat in my RV-6A, weighs 28 lbs and can carry me 18 miles at 17-19 mph. It handles rough terrain if needed. In my 1.5 years of use it has never cut out on me (unlike the onewheel which dumped me into the concrete unexpectedly). It does take time to learn. For me I was doing basic trails after ~1 hour of training, and felt comfortable after 4 hours.

Battery Safety

If you transport E bikes or scooters you need to treat them as potentially hazardous material. I read a story a couple of days ago in the WSJ about E bike fires. There were 216 E bike/scooter fires last year in NYC alone.

Make sure you are using high quality New (not re-manufactured) batteries. It seems that many fires happen during charging.

The new Honda suitcase scooter is a nice package if a bit heavy.

Attachments

• IMG_2968.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 117
I know you didn’t ask about bikes but 2 flooding bikes fit in the back of my 9 so I don’t think you would have trouble with scooters. I looked at the Segway F35 and it is 45” long. I believe that will fit at an angle but you could make a box the size and try it. More goes back there than you think will fit!
I had flooding bikes once.... but they corroded.

I just bought a Dynamic “model B” for my RV6. Folds up to 26”x5x12” and weighs 22 lbs
What range do you normally see with the Dynamic. It looks very compact and perfect for a plane. Do you just carry an extra battery in a backpack

Haven’t used it yet. From utube it looks like one might get 7 miles or so out of it. I will likely purchase a second battery. I liked it for the size and weight. Winter time at my place now so haven’t tried it except for a trip around the drive shed.

Back