What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

360 gopro

Rocky's GoPro

Hey Rocky,
Looks great! First time I've seen your wheel pants. Very nice!!
Blue skies,
Chuck Brietigam
RV-6XXL

Please tell more or show the probe you are using as the camera mount. I'm impressed with the vibration of the wing without vibration of the image.

The camera takes care of the stabilization. I’m still not happy with my mount. I will try and get a picture tomorrow.

Check out Flightflix.net …. they have a nice pole/ mounting kit. Works great on my 7A.

Attachments

• 95D63DCE-823B-45E8-BB35-DAF7BB547165.jpg
    95D63DCE-823B-45E8-BB35-DAF7BB547165.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 19479436-35A8-42E1-8A8E-5F95BB295FCE.jpg
    19479436-35A8-42E1-8A8E-5F95BB295FCE.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 120
Photo of mounting kit from FlightFlix.net

Attachments

• 369C3CBE-9462-45D8-AEAB-E7DA2CE63A95.jpg
    369C3CBE-9462-45D8-AEAB-E7DA2CE63A95.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 126
That's quite the pickle stabber! :) Thanks for sharing. I suspect I would go for something more "home brew".

There’s a guy who flys a Rocket in Utah; his YouTube channel is “Wheels in the Sky”….. he posted a good video on his homemade mounting pole….

I have seriously considered a GoPro 360. Someone told me they are a mother bear when it comes to editing. Did you find this to be the case too?

Great video! Love the shot from out front.

I've had many GoPros over the years, and their unreliability has been pretty consistent. I have an older Insta360 and now a newer one....IMHO, not going to buy any more GoPros.

I am happy with the gopro's I have. I have the 360 and the 9 Hero I think it is called. The software was not intuitive but is learnable and works well. I dont have experience with the insta but it looks like a good camera. I have the remote to turn it on and off but I dont use it. I am afraid it will not work so I just turn the wing camera on before I get in the plane.

Battery power is the problem. If you get an hour out if it you are lucky. I am working on a portable battery or wire to power the wing camera.

The 360 is amazing. You take the video, land, put the SD card in your computer and then you choose what you want to look at. You can make as many videos as you want from the original video. I am working on a stiffer mount but the stabilization built into the camera is pretty good.

I have seriously considered a GoPro 360. Someone told me they are a mother bear when it comes to editing. Did you find this to be the case too?

Great video! Love the shot from out front.

I have a GoPro 9 that I have used mounted on my wing tip…. for the 360, I decided to get the Insta 360 X3. All of the reviews and comparisons I saw picked the Insta over the GoPro. (Lots of comparison videos on YouTube). I have found the Insta is much easier to operate and adjust settings, etc than my GoPros.
Very simple to navigate the settings and use.

The editing is not as tough as I expected. You can do quick “key frames “ and edit shorts right on the iPhone App. I also use the Insta 360 App on my Windows computer. So far I’ve just done basic stuff… It is time consuming, but like anything else, it gets easier the more you do. I cannot see myself doing these 15-20 minute videos like you see on YouTube, with multiple soundtracks, cockpit recordings, views from three different cameras, etc. It would take me 20 hours to do that!

I cannot see myself doing these 15-20 minute videos like you see on YouTube, with multiple soundtracks, cockpit recordings, views from three different cameras, etc. It would take me 20 hours to do that!

I would like to be a good enough editor to do cool videos but mine are just for my grandkids to see me flying and taking them for a ride. I only got the 360 gopro because I had the Hero 9 and didnt want 2 platforms. The insta is more streamline and maybe less wind disturbance though I didnt notice any different when I mounted it on the wing.

I've had :many GoPros over the years, and their unreliability has been pretty consistent. I have an older Insta360 and now a newer one....IMHO, not going to buy any more GoPros.

Just got the Insta 360 Remote. Only works on the ground! Shortly after takeoff it loses connection and will not reconnect. Crazy!

Pictures of my mount

Here are a few pictures of my mount. It is my second try and it works well. It is over built with the thick angle and a bit heavy but solid. Im going to try one more to see if I can get it a little lighter and still stiff. The pole is an old broom stick. I drilled out the yellow end and put a bolt through it for the gopro mount to screw on. I filled the inside with epoxy to make sure the bolt will not come loose. Overall it works pretty good. I do not notice any extra drag or heavy wing. This is video showing it in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUkdOsWiaB4

Attachments

• Image (00A).jpg
    Image (00A).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
  • Image (00E).jpg
    Image (00E).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • Image (008).jpg
    Image (008).jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Image (014).jpg
    Image (014).jpg