What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine out!

rv6n6r

Well Known Member
Patron
So I was tooling along the other day and pulled up into a simple positive-G aileron roll, and 90 degrees over, the engine quit. At the same time my cell phone fell off its magnetic mount onto the floor which of course I ignored since I had other things to worry about like getting right side up and the whole engine not running thing.

So: fuel selector, switches - huh why are both mag switches off? Well there you go, the phone was above the switches and when it came off its mount it flicked them both off. Flipped 'em back on and it fired right up. No appreciable loss of altitude and no time to even get perturbed, back and running in 8 seconds according to the EFIS log.

Two takeaways:

1) The obvious: Don't have un-secured stuff on / around the panel or controls. A lot of us use IPADs - no doubt more secure with ball mounts and such but still, if that isn't tight I can imagine similar things happening, like interference with the stick.
2) Practice actual engine out procedures. I do that now and then (as in, intentionally letting a tank run dry up high over an airport or dry lake bed). I believe that served me well - muscle memory kicked in with no panic, diagnosed / resolved in a few seconds. We all know this stuff in our heads, but practicing it for real makes it automatic.

But yeah, DUH on the whole phone magnetic mount thing!

Switch guards

Might want to consider adding switch guards on those mag switches. Cheap insurance rather homemade or store bought.

Yikes.

Reminds me of the time I took off out of an airport within the DC ADIZ (now SFRA) and my TERPS binder vibrated off the dash, fell, and only hit the Avionics master switch on it's was down. I had just checked in with the tracon and was waiting for their response. I have never moved so fast in a cockpit before that day - I like to think they never noticed :D

Siting here now and planning my new upgraded panel and thinking about
switches going ON TOP this time. I have a tilt-up and it would make wiring, maintaining and making changes very easy. And also places them where they are as safe as possible without guards.

These are really nice switch guards - all switches on my panel have them. Makes my cockpit look like the space shuttle. :)

https://periheliondesign.com/product/organic-handpicked-coffee/

PDM-005-800.jpg

+1

I've struggled with magnetic phone holders as well. Just changed to the rotate and "click" version of this product. Seems secure.

https://www.quadlockcase.com/?tw_source=google&tw_adid=&tw_campaign=19673594103&gclid=CjwKCAiA9NGfBhBvEiwAq5vSyxOrQ8ss2XBaF1QCpJwMi52w7qg3iJDFirH8UI3lyFYPOxbN1jdzLBoC6TcQAvD_BwE

I use the quadlock mounts with the case, the mag charger mount works well in the car and the locking version is what I have in the -7 (for the very reason as the original poster). they also have a 1" ball mount compatible with RAM mounts. Good system.
Figs

For new panel builders: Please don't have wires, etc dangling from above switches. They will either be in the way or cause problems when something moves. I see this way too often :(

I've been flying real aerobatics at least a couple times per week for the last 6mo or so. Step one is during pre-flight to ensure there is Nothing in the airplane that isn't bolted or strapped down solid. Otherwise real danger looms.

That cell phone has some mass to it. What if it hadn't just hit the floor, but bonked you square in the eye. Same thing applies to seatbelts that aren't in use. They must be fully secured and strapped down.

"positive-G aileron roll" ??

acro prep

While instructing in the Navy, we had a (pre) aerobatics checklist. Wouldn't hurt to work up one of your own. Might include: secure non occupied seat belts and harnesses (preflight item), fuel on proper tank (which side has flop tube?), check cockpit for loose items, perform clearing turns, etc.

Doug
Seattle area

What was the after fire like when you switched them back on?

My thoughts exactly,,,,, I know of several mufflers weren’t were they were supposed to be after shutting the mags off & not clearing the system of vapors,

Instead of magnets use velcro. The good stuff hold 1 lb per square inch per spec. So an ipad is 62 square inches at about 1.1 pound so will hold north of 50g . I have flown that way to max g limits many times with no issues. Just need to make sure you replace the velcro when it gets worn.

Oliver

So I was tooling along the other day and pulled up into a simple positive-G aileron roll, and 90 degrees over, the engine quit. At the same time my cell phone fell off its magnetic mount onto the floor which of course I ignored since I had other things to worry about like getting right side up and the whole engine not running thing.

So: fuel selector, switches - huh why are both mag switches off? Well there you go, the phone was above the switches and when it came off its mount it flicked them both off. Flipped 'em back on and it fired right up. No appreciable loss of altitude and no time to even get perturbed, back and running in 8 seconds according to the EFIS log.

Two takeaways:

1) The obvious: Don't have un-secured stuff on / around the panel or controls. A lot of us use IPADs - no doubt more secure with ball mounts and such but still, if that isn't tight I can imagine similar things happening, like interference with the stick.
2) Practice actual engine out procedures. I do that now and then (as in, intentionally letting a tank run dry up high over an airport or dry lake bed). I believe that served me well - muscle memory kicked in with no panic, diagnosed / resolved in a few seconds. We all know this stuff in our heads, but practicing it for real makes it automatic.

But yeah, DUH on the whole phone magnetic mount thing!

Sounds like you are familiar with RAM mounts. For my iPhone: RAM-HOL-PD3U There is no way my phone is coming lose and yet I can still remove it for photos.

Or my go-to mil-spec switch from Honeywell:

2TL1-2D.jpg

Expensive...but these easily pay for themselves by preventing your knee from accidentally turning on your master and killing your battery after egress. So I'm

Last edited:
there was a 767 (I was not on it but i knew the guys well) that had the clipboard with the plan on it fall off the panel and getting under a fuel cutoff switch...yeah that got their attention. no more putting the plan up there after that!

Your signature says O-360 (carb). Did the engine quit before your phone knocked off the mag switches, or because the mags got turned off? If your phone fell off it sounds like you might not have done a very smooth "positive G" roll, which of course with a carb can cause the engine to instantly quit the moment you get zero G or slightly less. Good FOD lesson though. Acro and FOD don't mix well and not just because of what happened here. Stuff can also fall where you don't want it and jam the pushrods, bellcranks, etc. of the control system. Saw someone nearly get killed once by a small camera mount that found its way to the wrong part of the airplane.

Your signature says O-360 (carb). Did the engine quit before your phone knocked off the mag switches, or because the mags got turned off? If your phone fell off it sounds like you might not have done a very smooth "positive G" roll, which of course with a carb can cause the engine to instantly quit the moment you get zero G or slightly less. Good FOD lesson though. Acro and FOD don't mix well and not just because of what happened here. Stuff can also fall where you don't want it and jam the pushrods, bellcranks, etc. of the control system. Saw someone nearly get killed once by a small camera mount that found its way to the wrong part of the airplane.

A local helicopter pilot out here was killed a couple years ago by a shotgun shell that got lodged under a torque pedal following a hog hunt. FOD can get real serious real fast.

Back