What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak Gemini

MarkCFI

I just installed the head unit for a TruTrak Gemini in my RV-4. Servo install to follow.

My mechanic was asking me whether the TruTrak could replace the old steam gauge ASI and Altimeter.

I thought it could but he was unsure. I’m extremely limited in panel space and to install the TruTrak some other gauge had to go.

Is there any reason I couldn’t use the Gemini as a mini EFIS and use the ASI and Altimeter in the Gemini and get rid of the steam gauges?

xCruze 110

I replaced an older TruTrak ADI Pilot II, and 2 1/4 ASI and Alt (backup) gages, with a Bendix King xCruze 110, which I believe is the same as the Gemini.
I use the xCruze as A/P and backup to my single Dynon Skyview display, as it has airspeed and altitude indications [pitot and static connections on the xCruze].

One issue that I notice, and it my be my own problem, is when I set the baro on the xCruze, the altitude is almost always higher than field elevation. Luckily the second setting after baro on the xCruze is to set the field altitude. I do have the xCruze connected thru ARINC to a GPS, so perhaps the initial altitude is being obtained by the GPS.

One issue that I notice, and it my be my own problem, is when I set the baro on the xCruze, the altitude is almost always higher than field elevation. Luckily the second setting after baro on the xCruze is to set the field altitude. I do have the xCruze connected thru ARINC to a GPS, so perhaps the initial altitude is being obtained by the GPS.

On mine I set the second setting to match my Dynon EFIS altitude and they seem to stay synched after that.
Figs

Interesting.

Mine is brand new old stock.. I believe it arrived from TruTrak in about 2015..

The previous owner never installed it and when I purchased the plane I bought it as well. Just getting around to the install. I need to tackle the servos next and that’s a much bigger job.

I do think I should check with Bendix/TruTrak to see if there are any firmware updates I should do.

Mine also requires field elevation to be input as well as baro prior to flight.

The other piece to note is that according to Andrew the GPS needs to be connected via RS232 as that is what is used as the primary GPS input. Even if you have a arinc 429 connection from a navigator you still need the 232 connection. In my case the aera 760 provides the 232 connection and the 375 the 429 (the 375 could provide both but the 760 provides an easy lateral NAV capability).
Figs

Gemini in my RV-4

Do any of you guys have a problem seeing the display? Mine seems dim especially during the day.

Do any of you guys have a problem seeing the display? Mine seems dim especially during the day.

Yep, I found it basically useless in my RV-10. I couldn’t image using it as a backup device. I found it hard to read.

I just replaced mine with a Garmin G5. It’s much easier to read.

I also uninstalled all the other Trutrak products from my RV-10 as well.

Back