What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about Second Hand Kits

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
I'm interested in buying a tailwheel kit, although not yet sure which one. Sometimes, an "A" model kit is listed for sale, and I'm wondering if I could buy such a kit and build it as a tail dragger. Are the differences only in the fuse and/or finishing kits? Would it make sense cost wise to buy an "A" kit and make the necessary changes to build it as conventional? Forgive my ignorance. I tried a few search terms but couldn't come up with an answer.

One way to get a better feel for it would be to buy the plans thumb drive for the model you're considering. It contains both versions. You could see what's involved that way.

Also, this question's come up (more often going from the taildragger to the nose wheel version) so a search within that model's section here on VAF might bring up some good information.

The relative quantities of each vary by model. For example, there are more RV-8s than RV-8As, and more RV-9As than RV-9s. And models like the RV-3 and RV-4 are only offered in tailwheel styles, and the RV-10 and RV-12 are only sold with a nose wheel configuration.

Dave

Last edited:
Nose to tail conversion

I'm interested in buying a tailwheel kit, although not yet sure which one. Sometimes, an "A" model kit is listed for sale, and I'm wondering if I could buy such a kit and build it as a tail dragger. Are the differences only in the fuse and/or finishing kits? Would it make sense cost wise to buy an "A" kit and make the necessary changes to build it as conventional? Forgive my ignorance. I tried a few search terms but couldn't come up with an answer.

Kinda depends on how much work has been done. Given the wait times and savings on a prebuilt kit, it's probably worth it.

Difference on the fuse.
One is the doubler bars on the F711 or F712 Bulkhead. Study the plans. Easy to drill them out and replace. I cut mine so it could go either way. There's a hole for the tail gear but that can be drillled.
The other is gear towers and the holes in the bottom foward skin for the main gear. If the holes are cut, the bottom skin would have to be swapped. Gear towers would have to be removed.
Difference on Finishing
Engine mount is different and obviously the nose gear isn't there.
Cowl might have a slot cut for the nose gear. Easy fix
The bottom rudder cap on the TW version needs some tweaking to clear. Most leave that till later and fiberglass is easy anyway.

If it’s a slow build fuselage, it’s a piece of cake. If it’s a quick build, depends on the model. The -7 and -9 are not hard to switch either way. The -8 QB is not feasible to switch. You will need different engine mount and gear mounts. Usually you can find someone who will swap with you or at least has the excess parts for sale.

Vans has a great publication on their web site covering pitfalls of buying a used kit. Good place to start regardless.

Back