What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet meaning

Googled it :eek:

A" rivets are "soft". They are fabricated from 1100-grade aluminum and have a tensile strength of 16,000 PSI. "AD" rivets are fabricated from 2117 aluminum and heat treated to the T4 condition. They have a shear strength of 26,000 PSI and a tensile strength of 38,000 PSI. Prices below are for 1lb. quantities. Minimum order of 1/8 lb. (use qty .13). All rivets can be purchased in 1/4 lb. (use qty .25) and 1/8 lb. (use qty .13) packages. AN470 (MS20470) AN426 (MS20426).

Googled it :eek:

A" rivets are "soft". They are fabricated from 1100-grade aluminum and have a tensile strength of 16,000 PSI. "AD" rivets are fabricated from 2117 aluminum and heat treated to the T4 condition. They have a shear strength of 26,000 PSI and a tensile strength of 38,000 PSI. Prices below are for 1lb. quantities. Minimum order of 1/8 lb. (use qty .13). All rivets can be purchased in 1/4 lb. (use qty .25) and 1/8 lb. (use qty .13) packages. AN470 (MS20470) AN426 (MS20426).

With respect, I don't think that's what the OP is asking about.

The soft rivets would be AN426A4-6 vs AN426AD4-6

Per the spec (both AN426 and the MS20426 that supersedes it) the second A in MS20426AD4-6A (or as we're used to seeing it,AN426AD4-6A) basically indicates clear anodizing vs. alodining (chromate conversion coating).

Honestly I'd never noticed references to finish codes on these before. The performance is likely interchangeable for our purposes and I suspect that everyone has long been supplying/using anodized rivets instead of the alodined ones out of toxicity concerns anyway (the Type II anodizing is sulfuric acid, not chromic acid).

Last edited:
Everyspec.com is your friend for most specifications. AN426 was updated to MS20426. Just for added information, there are 7 different materials and 9 different head stamps for a 426 series rivet. Same for the 470.

Correct

You are correct. I finally got the answer by calling Cessna, who puts out the color code “a”.

With respect, I don't think that's what the OP is asking about.

The soft rivets would be AN426A4-6 vs AN426AD4-6

Per the spec (both AN426 and the MS20426 that supersedes it) the second A in MS20426AD4-6A (or as we're used to seeing it,AN426AD4-6A) basically indicates clear anodizing vs. alodining (chromate conversion coating).

Honestly I'd never noticed references to finish codes on these before. The performance is likely interchangeable for our purposes and I suspect that everyone has long been supplying/using anodized rivets instead of the alodined ones out of toxicity concerns anyway (the Type II anodizing is sulfuric acid, not chromic acid).

The -A suffix rivets are non-drilled shank. The ones without the -A are drilled for a teenie-tiny cotter pin. Don't bother with these - takes way too long to finish your build, adds weight, cost, and the tensile strengths are about the same either way.

I was going to hold off posting this until April 1, but figured the thread would be abandoned or someone else would have beat me to it by then anyway.

Back