What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What os so special about the LP24693C296 Screw

MElstien

Well Known Member
Hello,

The LP24693C296 screw is a SS countersunk screw that is used to capture the main wheel pants into the wheel axles. Those little screws have a slot cut into the threads and some sort of blueish green material in that slot. On my plans they are shown on page 48-7. For a picture of the screw please visit Vans Store and enter the part number

Vans charges almost $ 4.00 per screw. Technically an MS24693C-296 will fit, I am guessing that is the screw they use and then cut and fill that slot.

What is so special about that screw ad the slot. Is this screw re-usable?

Can I use a MS24693-296 with a type of Loctite? I also have the Berringer wheel and brake package with custom axle extenders from a Vans Airforce advertiser. Does this make a difference.

I have asked Vans via their store webs site and have not yet received a reponse.

Male Nylock good response

I was thinking the same thing.

I will buy a few extras next time I order from Vans so I have them when I loose them:)

As others have said, this is the male version of a nylock nut, and the same rules apply: they can be re-used a few times, but when they can be turned too easily they should be replaced.

using a standard screw with some removable loctite on it works for me ;)

Last edited:
As others have said, this is the male version of a nylock nut, and the same rules apply: they can be re-used a few times, but when they can be turned too easily they should be replaced.

In addition to Bob’s comment, should be part of pre flight, they do come loose. I check em when I check air pressure when preflighting. And although checking tire pressure is a PIA with stock tubes, i use a measurement from the floor to the center of that screw: (6 1/8 - 6 1/4” 50-55 psi on my GY II)

+1

I was using a regular screw during testing to avoid wearing them out and forgot to put the correct ones in after I was done with all the pant work. Landed one day with noise and the screw had backed out and created a small F/G repair job for me.

From experience, those screws WILL back out without some means of creating resistance.

+1

I was using a regular screw during testing to avoid wearing them out and forgot to put the correct ones in after I was done with all the pant work. Landed one day with noise and the screw had backed out and created a small F/G repair job for me.

From experience, those screws WILL back out without some means of creating resistance.

After the Nylok wears off from multiple removals, blue loctite will work until you want to replace with fresh screws. I replace with new at condition inspection.

Fishing for answer

I remember reading some time ago where an article recommended using a piece of fishing line for this exact purpose. Curious of the thoughts on doing that in this location.

I remember reading some time ago where an article recommended using a piece of fishing line for this exact purpose. Curious of the thoughts on doing that in this location.

Nylon fishing line will crush into the thread slot and will act in the same manner as an elastic stop nut to wedge the screw in place; how long it actually retains the screw in a vibrating environment over time is uncertain.

I think this whole topic is a bit "overcooked" in an attempt to replicate the LP24693C296 screw retention method... a couple drops of blue thread locker will do the job well at a low cost, and easily replaced with each reinsertion of the screw.

Last edited:
Back