What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sky Design Wheel Pants

vomatic

Does anyone have experience with Sky Design wheel pants and larger 6.00x6 wheels? I'm thinking of putting them on my -8 just to give me some additional flexibility on grass and explore a little bit of the back country out West. Thanks.

Sky Design carbon fiber wheel pants

I installed Sky Designs wheel pants on my RV-6XXL. I run 380x150 tires mounted to Grove Aircraft aluminum gear legs. It's a similar system to the RV-8 landing gear. The entire installation process is a snap. No more running chalk lines on the floor and strings around the hangar. Everything comes pre fitted and it's just a matter of a few hours to completely fit. The transition fairings run a bit longer(at least in my case). I highly recommend them!
Chuck Brietigam
RV-6XXL

Attachments

• Test Flying - 1 of 1.jpeg
    Test Flying - 1 of 1.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 248
I recently put them on my -8 and they've been a great upgrade. I had a few questions on the installation, but Ken at SkyDesigns was very helpful anytime I needed guidance. You'll need to be handy with a Dremel wheel (or the like) to size the wheel openings correctly.

I used 8-ply Michelin tires, but I think 6-ply would actually be better.

Surprisingly, it took only 2 - 3 knots (if even that) away from my RV-8's previous cruise speed. I test flew it with and without the wheel fairings and, as one might expect, the difference was more dramatic: 10 - 15 knots slower with the fairings off.

In addition to rough field advantages, you get the fringe benefit of being able to use standard-sized wheel chocks.

P.S. I've added a "before" picture to show the big difference in clearance from the original 5.00-5 setup. In my mind, an -8 or -14 with the Sky Designs 6.00-6's (and Condor pneumatic tailwheel) is the bees knees - plus you get those cool jack points on the mains.

Attachments

• IMG_2735.jpeg
    IMG_2735.jpeg
    526.3 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2734.jpeg
    IMG_2734.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1547.jpeg
    IMG_1547.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Guys. Thank you! This is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks for posting pictures AND step by step directions. These planes look great. Can you offer any suggestions on tires? Looks like 6 ply Michelins? Do I need to spend $300 on tires or can an Airhawk or Dresser retread suffice?

I've fitted the Sky Design Wheel Pants to my RV14 with Beringer 6.00x6" wheels and I am very pleased indeed. The extra ground clearance allows confident grass strip operation. See the following links for pictures of their installation ...

https://vansrv14project.uk/2021/11/18/sky-design-engineering-wheel-spats/
https://vansrv14project.uk/2022/01/04/sky-design-engineering-wheel-spats-part-2/
https://vansrv14project.uk/2022/01/08/sky-design-engineering-wheel-spats-part-3/

I know you incorporated the 6.00x6” wheels/tires, and Sky Designes wheel pants from the beginning of your build and really don’t have a direct comparison, but how much ground clearance do you think you gained?….and do you think this mod effected your speed any?….(slower or faster)

I know you incorporated the 6.00x6” wheels/tires, and Sky Designes wheel pants from the beginning of your build and really don’t have a direct comparison, but how much ground clearance do you think you gained?….and do you think this mod effected your speed any?….(slower or faster)

As you say, I have no way to directly compare speed, but even if it’s a few knots it is definitely worth the small sacrifice to not worry about operating from the numerous grass strips here in the UK. Aeroplanes are full of compromises, aren’t they?

The picture below of a 14 convinced me to increase the ground clearance … see mine for comparison.

Attachments

• 7A7FA0C9-52DA-4F63-8477-6F46C19EEE02.jpeg
    7A7FA0C9-52DA-4F63-8477-6F46C19EEE02.jpeg
    498.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 3F00CAC4-0EC5-4E86-872B-8B901E6ECBBD.jpeg
    3F00CAC4-0EC5-4E86-872B-8B901E6ECBBD.jpeg
    467.8 KB · Views: 169
I could be wrong, but it appears to me that part of the reason that additional ground clearance is obtained is because everyone is mounting the larger wheel pants with a different longitudinal alignment in pitch than is typically used for the standard kit parts.
I.E., the aft end of the fairing is positioned higher from the ground, so that it appears that they will look tail end high in level flight which would look odd to me.
A standard installation would be for the wheel faring to be aerodynamically aligned between the leading edge and the trailing edge when the airplane is in level flight. This usually means that the wheel faring aligns at the same angle as the cockpit side rail. All the photos I have seen, make it look like the fairings are installed with the aft and much higher than they would be for that case.

Last edited:
As you say, I have no way to directly compare speed, but even if it’s a few knots it is definitely worth the small sacrifice to not worry about operating from the numerous grass strips here in the UK. Aeroplanes are full of compromises, aren’t they?

The picture below of a 14 convinced me to increase the ground clearance … see mine for comparison.

Thanks Steve for the reply! I agree, I think the positives of opening up the options of being able to operate out of more areas outweighs the “possible” loss of a knot or two of speed. I’m planning on incorporating the Sky Designs setup as part of my -14 build as well. Thanks again!

I could be wrong, but it appears to me that part of the reason that additional ground clearance is obtained is because everyone is mounting the larger wheel pants with a different longitudinal alignment in pitch than is typically used for the standard kit parts.
I.E., the aft end of the fairing is positioned higher from the ground, so that it appears that they will look tail end high in level flight which would look odd to me.
A standard installation would be for the wheel faring to be aerodynamically a line between the leading edge and the trailing edge when the airplane is in level flight. This usually means that the wheel faring aligns at the same angle as the cockpit side rail. All the photos I have seen, make it look like the fairings are installed with the aft and much higher than they would be for that case.

I see what you mean, but it just may be the design of the wheel pant itself rather than how it’s mounted. From pictures, it appears to me that the aft portion of the Sky Designs pant is “swooped” up more than the Vans unit.

I see what you mean, but it just may be the design of the wheel pant itself rather than how it’s mounted. From pictures, it appears to me that the aft portion of the Sky Designs pant is “swooped” up more than the Vans unit.

Possibly, but it looks like if you visualize a reference line through the center line of the wheel pant from the fwd most point to the aft most point, it is no where close to being parallel with the cockpit side rail.

My point in commenting which I failed to mention is that if someone is fine with that look, you can mount the standard wheel pant the same way and gain a lot of ground clearance. Maybe not quite the amount you get with the 600x6 tire but close. You wouldn’t get the benefit of the larger tire contact area for soft surfaces though.

Possibly, but it looks like if you visualize a reference line through the center line of the wheel pant from the fwd most point to the aft most point, it is no where close to being parallel with the cockpit side rail.

My point in commenting which I failed to mention is that if someone is fine with that look, you can mount the standard wheel pant the same way and gain a lot of ground clearance. Maybe not quite the amount you get with the 600x6 tire but close. You wouldn’t get the benefit of the larger tire contact area for soft surfaces though.

Yeah, upon further examination of Steve’s pictures, I see what you mean. I’m wondering if it’s just his particular installation and/or if there’s room for a little bit of adjustment during installation to get the profile a little closer to that of the stock pants?

Sky Design Wheel Pant Alignment

See below a better side view of the wheel pant alignment on the RV14. The pants arrive with all the screw hole locations pre-determined, so the alignment has been selected by Sky Designs. As their web site mentions ...

Designed for minimum drag, while providing good ground clearance, light weight, and aesthetic styling.

They are probably slightly tilted as highlighted by Scott, but I think the pants look quite pretty on the RV14, and I have had lots of similar comments by those who have seen her.

Attachments

• Favourites - 1 of 1.jpeg
    Favourites - 1 of 1.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 171
I had an email discussion with Ken, he is developing this product for the RV10 now, to be released soon.

See below a better side view of the wheel pant alignment on the RV14. The pants arrive with all the screw hole locations pre-determined, so the alignment has been selected by Sky Designs. As their web site mentions ...

They are probably slightly tilted as highlighted by Scott, but I think the pants look quite pretty on the RV14, and I have had lots of similar comments by those who have seen her.

Very nice!….that looks proper.

Sam James 6” wheel pants

These Sam James wheel pants are mounted high and at the original Vans angle. 2000 landings, mostly turf. Been to Idaho, Montana, etc many times. No damage and really no measurable speed loss. They were $250 about 5 or 6 years ago.

Attachments

• 1086AAA0-A55E-4BAB-83BA-E31326A18D40.jpeg
    1086AAA0-A55E-4BAB-83BA-E31326A18D40.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 181
Here are some pics showing the ground clearance. Hopefully you can zoom in to see the measurement.

As Steve Hicks said the attach hole locations are pre drilled so the clearance is predetermined.

The 6.00-6 tires are approx 3" greater diameter vs the 5.00-5 thus giving you an additional 1.5" prop clearance.

Marriner Smith
RV-14

Attachments

• IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2201.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 127
Back