What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Surefly SIM6L & Dynon EMS-D10

Darinh

Well Known Member
All,

I have a Slick mag that needs replacement and am considering going with EI. I want this to be simple an straight-forward which seems to be Surefly's option. Engine is an IO-540 with dual impulse couple mags. In reading Surefly's installation instructions, they say to call if you have P-leads for tach which my EMS-D10 does. Dynon uses resisters in-line to bring the voltage spike created to acceptable levels register RPM. The Surefly only produces 60V spikes whereas a slick mag will produce upwards of 300V spikes. According to Surefly, there lower spike will not register RPM or it will be low, erratic, etc.

They say if the Dynon will accept 0-5V square wave input they have a Tach controller module that will work or I could use a UMA mechanical to digital converter on my tach drive and forego the P-lead RPM completely.

Question: Anyone know if the EMS-D10A will accept a 0-5V square wave signal for tach? I can't seem to find this info in the manual and a call to Dynon isn't getting any further than the answering machine at the moment.

So, I've since learned a bit about my question above and thought I'd share my findings with the group to record it in the collective data vault that is VAF.

Anyway, I did get in touch with Dynon and found that their inputs to the EMS-D10 are, in fact, 0-5V square wave inputs. So, for the Surefly mag to output RPM to this instrument one would need to add the Surefly Tach2 module which converts the EI RPM signal to square wave. Any resistors in the RPM wire leads would need to be removed in this option.

The other options are to use the UMA Tach sender (T1A3-4) which runs off the mechanical tach drive on the case. This eliminates the need for P-lead RPM signal completely. OR, one could run the UMA magnetic RPM pickup off an existing mag.

Lastly, one could simply run single RPM off the other existing mag through the P-lead. The downside to this is that when you do a mag check on the Slick, RPM will go to 0 on the instrument.

My plan is to go with this last option until the Tach 2 module become available. With this installed, I will have RPM from by

Back