What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Replacement 6A Nose Gear/Strut Fairing

dbier99

Well Known Member
I'm installing the Antisplat Nose Job 2 reinforcement bracket on our recently acquired 6A. It does have Van's modified nose strut / nose wheel but figured the extra reinforcement can't hurt. Unfortunately, the builder appears to have trimmed the strut fairing a bit tight so there is not enough clearance to put it back on with Nose Job 2 bracket installed. I called Antisplat and they no longer have any of the roomier fairings they made for the first version of the fix (Nose Job 1) so I next tried to order one from Vans. Unfortunately they are on back-order. If anyone has one they want to sell - or knows of another source - I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!
THIS IS THE VAN'S PART:
https://store.vansaircraft.com/fiberglass-nose-strut-fairing-kit-gear-leg-fairing-nose.html

UPDATE...

I called Vans this morning and they now have the fairing and related parts in stock (although website not updated) so I've got one on it's way. Once it arrives I may be asking for points on how to trim the fiberglass as needed for proper fit and tips on riveting the piano hinge latch (have very limited riveting experience).

Last edited:
If you don't have one, buy or barrow a squeezer (manual or pneumatic) you don't want to use a rivet gun / bucking bar on the fiberglass.

If you don't have one, buy or barrow a squeezer (manual or pneumatic) you don't want to use a rivet gun / bucking bar on the fiberglass.

Thanks! We will track one down. Is there any special type of saw or cutter needed for trimming fiberglass. I'm concerned about chipping/cracking it if we don't use the right tool/technique.

Cutting fibreglass

Thanks! We will track one down. Is there any special type of saw or cutter needed for trimming fiberglass. I'm concerned about chipping/cracking it if we don't use the right tool/technique.

A Dremel tool with an abrasive wheel is good for fine cutting and trimming of fiberglass parts. Alternatively an oscillating multi-tool also works well. Hopefully you have at least one of those tools.

Back