What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend (7/9 - 7/10) 2022

goatflieg

Well Known Member
Had to jump start this. Another huge milestone this morning: Amy finally got to ride in the RV-8! Thank you, m'love, for all the support you have given this project. Now we both have the RV Grin! May we be blessed with many more. (grins; not RVs) 😜
AM-JKLXNQltDlWxC-VdfPJAWSYKm5U7XnkZGkW8BvQnhsfrHlnjmurD8WF_tIZmt538zhme-93KkM3BWSzpj4ajLH8NVHnLnILrW9b18UBHehxxNp58aB1HVO5SEux1F8MMurv8EKzkfGq67F9zUteWlOy1z=w900-h600

100 Hour mark

I hit my 100 hour mark today. The first 40 were flown off by my friend CTBrietigam but I have been in the plane every hour since! Chuck and I flew out from Idaho to Michigan the end of last summer. I have about 45 hours solo and 15 with an instructor. I hope to take my check ride later this month or next month for sure.

What an airplane. It is hard to believe I get to fly it!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 185
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
  • 100 Hour screen shot.jpg
    100 Hour screen shot.jpg
    884.8 KB · Views: 208
Took this pic of "ArlingtonRV" while collecting some Transponder test data for a "ScrollF4" thread that was subsequently deleted.

i-DgbL6Qp-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Today, two other RVs plus mine took off from Essex Skypark and headed over to Millville Airport, New Jersey for a delicious lunch at Verna's Flight Deck Diner. On the way back, crossing the Delaware Bay at 5000 feet or so, I saw a C-5 Galaxy about two thousand feet below. It isn't often that I've looked down on a big jet! He turned west, as I was, and pulled away. But then he turned north followed by a U-turn heading south into Dover Air Force Base. I turned north so we were on opposing courses and I watched him pass by me, 2,000 feet below. This time I had my camera ready!

Attachments

• C5_1.jpg
    C5_1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 182
  • C5_2.jpg
    C5_2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 199
  • C5_3.jpg
    C5_3.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 191
  • C5_4.jpg
    C5_4.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 245
Flew an hour home and then drained the oil, we’ll finish another day.

Attachments

• 90DE20B3-E64B-4EFE-9ADF-4EBFF384093C.jpg
    90DE20B3-E64B-4EFE-9ADF-4EBFF384093C.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 221
500 hours and another RV Grin

Flew to Charlottesville on Friday to see our daughter and taxied in just as the hobbs clicked over to 500 hours.

Thank you Roger Mell for allowing me to enjoy nearly 200 hours of flying your amazing handiwork in the 21/2 years since I became its caretaker.

Today I was finally able to get our daughter up for a ride and the photo attached is her RV Grin selfie after we parked. Tomorrow, my wife and I will fly back home with another adventure in the books. Next up...my first trip to Airventure in the RV...

Attachments

• IMG_3806(1).jpg
    IMG_3806(1).jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 20220708_132338.jpg
    20220708_132338.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 188
Gave the plane a prettier place to park after a day of work with M'lady and a tolerant grand-dog on Saturday.

Before:

iPMKUgml.jpg

After:

efU1dv7l.jpg

Got to park next to this bad boy when I went to take my instrument written test. 92%:)

Also happened to meet one of the local DPEs. After looking at the plane and talking to him for a bit he agreed to do my check ride in couple of weeks.

Fixed the left fuel tank sender after pulling the tank. It was a busy one.

Attachments

• IMG_2784 (1).jpg
    IMG_2784 (1).jpg
    486 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_2785.jpg
    IMG_2785.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 233
Today, two other RVs plus mine took off from Essex Skypark and headed over to Millville Airport, New Jersey for a delicious lunch at Verna's Flight Deck Diner. On the way back, crossing the Delaware Bay at 5000 feet or so, I saw a C-5 Galaxy about two thousand feet below. It isn't often that I've looked down on a big jet! He turned west, as I was, and pulled away. But then he turned north followed by a U-turn heading south into Dover Air Force Base. I turned north so we were on opposing courses and I watched him pass by me, 2,000 feet below. This time I had my camera ready!

You should see how big it is at 50 feet behind you:D:

Boomer

continuing my tour, left North Las Vegas for the Grand Canyon, breakfasted in Sedona, took some shots of the famous crater, strafed a train, and put my bird to rest in Page…

Attachments

• BD120875-7CF5-4444-BDBC-C28AE87B895B.jpeg
    BD120875-7CF5-4444-BDBC-C28AE87B895B.jpeg
    508.3 KB · Views: 140
Huntsville AL to Houston TX and return

A

My wife is new to GA and so I have only flown with her in near perfect conditions but I knew the heat would be in full force on arrival. This was her fourth flight and the second over 1 hour. I stopped midway for fuel and a leg stretch, a very gradual descent at 250 ft.min as she expressed previously that 500 ft/min was too fast for her ears to adjust. The temperature was 100 F as I fueled, the sweat dripped. Experienced a longer takeoff roll that what I see with cooler temps, but after ten minutes were were back into cooler temperatures. On descent into Houston, faced the tradeoff between slow descent and more time in the heat and humidity or a rapid descent to the airport. I chose the gradual descent. The air was the most turbulent that I have ever experienced, it was like a broncing buck, wow! We were slammed for the last 15 minutes and the heat below the cloud deck was in the mid to upper 90's. I looked down as I was taxiing to the FBO and it was 102 with insane humidity.

On the return leg, we flew at 9500' for a while with crystal blue skies and fabulous temperatures at altitude. As we neared the our fuel stop, the clouds were low and solid and I descended below the cloud deck. The remainder of the flight home was under a hazy and solid overcast.
https://benneighbors.smugmug.com/Public-Sharing/i-vhG7nLD/A

Last edited:
Got to park next to this bad boy when I went to take my instrument written test. 92%:)

Also happened to meet one of the local DPEs. After looking at the plane and talking to him for a bit he agreed to do my check ride in couple of weeks.

Fixed the left fuel tank sender after pulling the tank. It was a busy one.

Nice work Jereme! 92%!
Bad sender huh? Did you have to pull the sender itself?

Glad the DPE was hip to use your ride.

Back