What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing RTV holding two aluminum sheets

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Helping a local -9A builder .. We have a situation where a small 2x2 aluminum sheet is affixed to a larger aluminum sheet with RTV.

If anyone has concerns about affixing aluminum in this way I'm here to tell you it ain't coming off :D I think the intent was to temporarily cover a hole with hopes of being able to remove it later.

I'm trying to find a way to remove the 2x2 sheet without damaging/scaring the surrounding aluminum.

I can probably take a razor blade to it but fear it will dig into the surrounding aluminum and this is a cosmetically sensitive area.

Any suggestions from the vast and mighty VAF brain trust? :D :eek: :p

Can you get floss or a thin piece of copper wire between the sheets. Thinking something like a PVC cable saw I've used in the past, but using something that won't damage the aluminum. Use friction by pulling the cord back and forth to cut the RTV vs trying to wedge the pieces apart.

Can you get floss or a thin piece of copper wire between the sheets.

Thanks! This is in on my list as a last resort, I'm not sure what the wire will do the the underlying aluminum sheet.

Paint wont stick

If your intent is to paint it afterward, I don't think anything will remove 100% of the Silicone in the RTV such that paint will stick.

I'm sure we will all be interested in the path you choose to take, and how it works out.

Good luck!

Cutting adhesive

Know any guitar players? Try the small "E" string. Seen many windshields removed in Mexico with it.

Aerosol Brake cleaner dissolves silicone. Obviously you can only attack it a little at a time, but I think the dental floss along with the brake cleaner will work.

Braided fishing line. It?s tougher than any wire and very thin diameter. Shouldn?t scratch the surface.

I had to remove a fuel tank rib. Besides heat (and a heat gun is considerably hotter than a hair dryer, which I used) I found that a .020 music wire did a decent job.

This is the posting. It includes a photo and commentary. Now while tank sealant is different than the RTV, of course, perhaps some of the tools or techniques might carry over.

Dave

Last edited:
There are commercial solvents for removing RTV like this:
Goo Gone Caulk Remover
https://googone.com/caulk-remover

I have used vinegar in the past and found this link that might be of interest:
https://www.hunker.com/12602900/what-can-be-used-to-dissolve-silicone-caulking

Use a textile line or small diameter wire to lift a corner and then stare flooding the bond line with a liquid solvent. Will take some time but should be able to separate the parts without too much cosmetic damage.

-larosta

Back