What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Structural Failure Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdts

I'm New Here
Hi all,

I'd like to be able to give a confident statement about the statistical structural integrity of the Vans RV series of planes.

There's already a good number of posts on this forum about this, but I'm looking for accident reports (or lack thereof) in particular.

Other than the Vans RV-3 (before new spar), I can't find any instances of an RV experiencing a structural failure when operated within design limits (below Vne, within G-limits).

Does anyone else have any data or research either to confirm this, or to the contrary?

I'd like to be able to give a confident statement about the statistical structural integrity of the Vans RV series of planes.

Other than the Vans RV-3 (before new spar), I can't find any instances of an RV experiencing a structural failure when operated within design limits (below Vne, within G-limits).

Does anyone else have any data or research either to confirm this, or to the contrary?
I believe I have read every RV NTSB accident report and I don't recall any structural failures that were not caused by flying outside the design limits. Even those failures are a very rare cause of accidents. Out of curiosity, why are you looking for this info?

In context of flying WITHIN IN limits and early RV3 rear spar attach issue... The Van's aircraft planes are structurally sound. I have a degree in mechanical engineer and did aircraft structural analysis and certification so I am aware of aircraft structure.

With that said YOU CAN PULL WINGS OFF AN RV....

Flutter. Many a folks lived to tell the tale. People putting high performance high HP engines in their RV's and flying high in O2 altitudes, pushing the nose over thinking if they keep it below Vne (indicated) they are safe.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/hp_limts.pdf

In a fast slippery RV you can exceed Vne is easily pushing the noise over without reducing power. Flutter will rip the tail off. How many have failed this way? I don't know but one is suspected I recall reading accident reports, but there have been some bent Horiz stabs and scared pilots after a flutter event. See article link above.

There have been some other inflight break ups, but one or two were highly suspected to be a bird strike.

Last edited:
Flutter will rip the tail off. How many have failed this way?

5 RV7's have had catastrophic emp failures in flight. Some had data indicating overspeed with G loading, but not all. Lots of discussion as to why. Not saying flutter. Rudders came apart, VS came off, HS spars folded down were consistent with all. Not saying flutter.

1-Canada 3-USA, 1-New Zealand.

Following the Canadian and first USA events Vans issued an HS Bulletin. Something there they did not like. All quiet since NZ and hope it stays that way.

Self training for aerobatics? Excessive turbulence over maneuvering speed? Are 7 pilots less skilled? Maybe the -7 is less tolerant of excesses? Speculation is prohibited and truly not productive outside the technical environment.

It has certainly brought attention to the subject and remains open for more definitive information in this -7 builder/owners mind, but that's just me. The archives can be searched for other models, but all-in-all not enough to calculate a number for structural MTBF when in the envelope. Vans seems satisfied, and they are really uncompromising when it comes to structural failures. That seems like good data.

Stuff deleted....

1-Canada 3-USA, 1-New Zealand.

More stuff deleted....

In the Canadian case the aircraft was doing simulated air combat WAY over VNE and the pilot kicked the rudder hard to get his target into camera view. The vertical stab sheared off along with most of the rudder. This all was captured on a cockpit mounted camera and the SD card contained within the EFIS (which was recovered post crash).

This is your first post here. Curious why you ask this question.

RV7

Was the RV7A near Atlantic City NJ in Sep 2013 included?? Documented evidence of loss of control in previous attempts at self taught aerobatics. Also previous wind damage to the rudder which was repaired. Way in excess of airspeed limits and probably G limits as well.

In the Canadian case the aircraft was doing simulated air combat WAY over VNE and the pilot kicked the rudder hard to get his target into camera view. The vertical stab sheared off along with most of the rudder. This all was captured on a cockpit mounted camera and the SD card contained within the EFIS (which was recovered post crash).

Mark
Did you see the pictures of that rudder? Thick filler (bondo?) along stiffener rivet lines & under formed or short rivets along trailing edge wedge?
More than a few factors caused that accident. Chilling...

Mark
Did you see the pictures of that rudder? Thick filler (bondo?) along stiffener rivet lines & under formed or short rivets along trailing edge wedge?
More than a few factors caused that accident. Chilling...

Hi Ralph

I did see that. I knew the pilot/builder and had been up close and personal to the airplane. Probably best for me to not comment further.

Tell us why…?

This is your first post here. Curious why you ask this question.

I too wonder why your first post here is to bring a somewhat controversial topic to the table. Now you seem to have disappeared. You’re not trying to troll us into a multi-sided argument, are you?

Sort of reminds me of a boss I once had. He would bring up a controversial topic, and after a heated argument developed, he would slip out the back of the conference room. Some people call it throwing a t*** into a punch bowl. I never thought it was productive.

So please tell us, “gdts,” Art <no last name>, Mr. student pilot, one who hasn’t visited this thread since you made one and only one post Sunday night, your reason for asking such a question…
This type activity doesn’t usually endear one to a group.

Last edited:

There was also this RV-7 accident on 1/26/2015, over the Hood Canal near Seabeck, WA. Appeared to come apart in-flight. The reason was undetermined since the majority of the airplane wreckage was not recovered, nor was the pilot's body.

NTSB Final Report:

Thanks for the links, added to the archive.

Can this be CLOSED now?

Thread closed…per Bill’s request. Everyone please note the Original Poster only posted once and did not revisit the forums. I think we were trolled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back