What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A cheap tool I can't live without

mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
I can't remember where I got hip to this tool, but for certain tasks it's changed my life. Hartmann alligator forceps are like tiny needle-nose grabbers on the end of a long thin shaft. They're perfect for retrieving dropped items from tight spaces, they can pick up things that won't stick to a magnet, and they're ideal for installing nuts and washers in places where you can't get your fingers. Just yesterday I used mine to start the nuts way down at the bottom of the spar carrythrough, and they made an otherwise tough job a snap.

The ones I have are 14 inches long, and I paid all of $16 for them from Amazon (click here). They're surprisingly nice quality and seem like they should last a long time if I don't abuse them. Not a tool I reach for every single day, but definitely one of those "when you need it, you need it" tools.

Attachments

• IMG_4989.JPG
    IMG_4989.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 277
I am going to order one to add to my collection. I have a whole assortment or hemostats that I bought years ago in the fly mart. Very useful to have lots of sizes and shapes. This one looks like a useful addition.

Hi Matt, like it, but do you have "this" problem??

nice but you need to work for more precision on jaws ...
for exemple : impossible to catch paper , the gripper jaws do not touch each other

nice but you need to work for more precision on jaws ...
for exemple : impossible to catch paper , the gripper jaws do not touch each other

Mine seems to not have this issue, maybe you got a bad one? Anyway, mostly I'm picking up things like dropped nuts and bolts, for which it works great.

My order came in yesterday, and the jaws fit perfectly. I could easily pick up paper and thin plastic. This will be a handy addition to my tool box.

Back