What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Spruce C-frame vs Cleveland Tools C-frame

Foam-the-runway

Are they the same tool from same manufacturer? Does any one know if there is a difference? Aircraft Spruce's is cheaper. Other then that the specs don't detail any major differences.
I'm also interested in which one did you use if you went that route. I see great reviews on the DRDT2 but I'm interested in C-frame information. Thanks in advance.

I can’t speak to the comparison but I can say that virtually everything that comes from Cleveland will be top notch quality! I used their C-frame for my build.

For the love of whatever you believe in don’t buy the one from Aircraft Tool Supply. Biggest piece of garbage tool I have ever used…. Luckily they let me return it.

Some of ATS tools are okay though.

PS when buying clecos pay the extra for wedge lock brand from Cleveland. Well worth it!

I can’t speak to the comparison but I can say that virtually everything that comes from Cleveland will be top notch quality! I used their C-frame for my build.

For the love of whatever you believe in don’t buy the one from Aircraft Tool Supply. Biggest piece of garbage tool I have ever used…. Luckily they let me return it.

Some of ATS tools are okay though.

PS when buying clecos pay the extra for wedge lock brand from Cleveland. Well worth it!

Thank you very much! I did notice that Cleveland was very detailed in their description.

CAT

I’ve never been dissatisfied with a purchase from Cleveland Aircraft Tools (including my dimpler). Just wish I’d never sold my Main Squeeze….dangit! Be sure to find their tent @ OSH and meet Mike Lauritsen and his family.

It has been a decade since I last bought tools from Cleveland, but I can say I have nothing but good things to say. I recall they changed ownership, but believe they have the same quality as always.

I’ve never been dissatisfied with a purchase from Cleveland Aircraft Tools (including my dimpler). Just wish I’d never sold my Main Squeeze….dangit! Be sure to find their tent @ OSH and meet Mike Lauritsen and his family.

I've been thinking about purchasing that tool also. Is there a time when that was a better option than the pneumatic squeezer?

I've been thinking about purchasing that tool also. Is there a time when that was a better option than the pneumatic squeezer?

The hand manual squeezer is great when you have less than 10 holes or rivets to squeeze and you don’t want to fire up the compressor. Or if you have to do a small job away from the shop, you just go grab your hand squeezer, and go!

The hand manual squeezer is great when you have less than 10 holes or rivets to squeeze and you don’t want to fire up the compressor. Or if you have to do a small job away from the shop, you just go grab your hand squeezer, and go!

Good point! I was on the fence about making that purchase. You just pushed me off...lol...

Cleaveland

Cleaveland…and I don’t know why they spell it that way. Maybe someone knows and will enlighten us. :eek:

The philosophy Cleaveland, and before them Avery, uses is that any tool should last at least one build project. They know what that means as they have both built RVs. I don't know many other companies who think the same way. Buy from Cleaveland and your tools will probably last 2 or 3 projects, buy elsewhere and you may be buying again before too long.

Pete

The philosophy Cleaveland, and before them Avery, uses is that any tool should last at least one build project. They know what that means as they have both built RVs. I don't know many other companies who think the same way. Buy from Cleaveland and your tools will probably last 2 or 3 projects, buy elsewhere and you may be buying again before too long.

Pete

I bit the bullet and went with a DRDT2. Also brought a main squeeze and some other stuff.. All from Cleaveland.
I've watched videos of the young man describing and giving demonstrations of there tools. Lots of sincerity and straight to the point with no hype. As per your endorsement I'm glad I made the right decision.
Ordered my rivet gun from ats...seen mixed reviews on that...got my fingers crossed mine will be a good one.

Last edited:
C frame, Cleveland dies and a steel hammer make the best dimples. Get the Cleaveland version to simplify your order.

Russell

C frame, Cleveland dies and a steel hammer make the best dimples. Get the Cleaveland version to simplify your order.

Russell

Couldn’t agree more. Built two airplanes with two different dimplers and found that the best results were achieved with what Russell stated.

Are they the same tool from same manufacturer? Does any one know if there is a difference? Aircraft Spruce's is cheaper. Other then that the specs don't detail any major differences.
I'm also interested in which one did you use if you went that route. I see great reviews on the DRDT2 but I'm interested in C-frame information. Thanks in advance.

Although the OP seems to have moved on and got a DRDT 2, the answer to the question is that the Cleaveland C-frame accepts a .401 shank rivet set that makes it easy to back rivet AN470 rivets. Just insert the same rivet set you would put in your rivet gun and use the 12 inch back rivet set that Cleaveland also sell. I'm not sure if the ACS tool does this but Cleaveland do sell a retrofit kit to convert the Avery C-frame, implying that it does not out of the box.

https://www.cleavelandtool.com/coll...-dimpling/products/avery-c-frame-retrofit-kit

And I understand that "Cleaveland" is a family name, nothing to do with the city.

Cleaveland C Frame

I will put in a good word for Cleaveland Aircraft Tools. The service after the sale is wonderful at Cleaveland. I had a Cleaveland C Frame with which I was breaking off #40 dimple dies. I talked to Buzz Lauritsen, Mike’s late Dad and a real good guy. He told me the C Frame was probably slightly out of alignment. I will tell you to my eye it looked good. Buzz told me another one was in the mail to me along with a couple of replacement dimple dies. I never had another problem with the replacement C Frame. I think any other vender (except Bob Avery) would have just left me with a problem C Frame. So yes, factor in service after the sale and good people standing behind their products when you buy from Cleaveland Aircraft Tools. I still buy from them.

And I understand that "Cleaveland" is a family name, nothing to do with the city.

Mike told me that given the propensity to misspell and/or mispronounce "Lauritsen", his dad decided to name the business after DJ's maiden name of "Cleaveland".

It's Xmas!!!...DRDT2 arrived yesterday...This thing is a piece of beautiful art and heavy.
Glad I deviated from the EAA workbench plans and made it longer and sturdier.

Back