What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Pull Rivet Tool or Scam?

I have not used one, but there are a ton of them to pick from on Amazon. Some as low as $10...

It may not be a scam..... But, very close to it.

You can see that it takes two hands to operate.
2hand.JPG

And this picture proves I am not a robot.
But, it also proves they don't know what a
pop rivet is.... or what it does
rivet.JPG

They are gaining popularity

Here is the Makita version.. Makita also makes a high end one for Cherry lock and Cherry Max rivets I have tried for the commercial world.

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 121
I have one similar to the link. Mine is a little less expensive (if I remember correctly), attaches to any drill, but it certainly works and is a lot less tiring than pulling by hand. It does require 2 hands but is still easier than pulling. The mechanism is a larger diameter so it can't be used where the clearance is limited.

I've been on a long-term quest to find a good one-handed powered pull-riveter. I'm moderately tool-addicted, so I finally bit the bullet and bought this one. It's met my every expectation. I don't usually use the black shank-catcher and haven't had issues with jamming that others have mentioned.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 11.55.45 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 11.55.45 AM.png
    626.8 KB · Views: 71
Hmmm... I just use the harbor Freight air riveter. Cheap, light, single hand op, requires no charging. Am I missing something?

Tim

Hmmm... I just use the harbor Freight air riveter. Cheap, light, single hand op, requires no charging. Am I missing something?

Tim

The hose, and poor reliability were issues that ended up making that particular riveter a no-go for me. YMMV

Electric vs. Pneumatic Pull Riveter

Is there a big difference between the electric (battery) vs. the pneumatic pull riveters? I presume the electric ones are quieter (less annoying to neighbors), but maybe slower?

I'm sure the pneumatic pull rivet guns are an order of magnitude quieter than the pneumatic guns for solid rivets.

Is there a big difference between the electric (battery) vs. the pneumatic pull riveters? I presume the electric ones are quieter (less annoying to neighbors), but maybe slower?

I'm sure the pneumatic pull rivet guns are an order of magnitude quieter than the pneumatic guns for solid rivets.

I’ve used both, never really noticed any difference in speed or noise. Not that there isn’t such a difference…I’ve just never noticed. I do notice the lack of a need for a compressor and not having to lug a hose after me.

I'm not quite done yet, but essentially built my 12 with the Milwaukee puller. We liked it so much we got a second one since we often have two people working at the same time. Worth mentioning here that they make a 12" long extended nose piece for it that is handy in a number of places.

I’ve used both, never really noticed any difference in speed or noise. Not that there isn’t such a difference…I’ve just never noticed. I do notice the lack of a need for a compressor and not having to lug a hose after me.

The electric is way quieter and way slower.
We had both to use during the RV-15 build (some pretty intense riveting sessions) and the pneumatic could go 4-5 times faster.

I have one and it works fine for some of the harder to reach areas of the build. It certainly beats the manual one unless space is an issue. I have this one, the Harbor Freight one and a manual puller.

Pop rivet too

I have a harbor freight one , reasonable, 10 yrs old, machined one tip for zenith and other pulled heads

Back