What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is this?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
One of the joys of a project is the mysteries you get to solve along the way. This part has clearly been carefully prepared and primed, and yet I have no idea what it is and where it goes.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_9819.jpg
    IMG_9819.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_9820.jpg
    IMG_9820.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_9821.jpg
    IMG_9821.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 168
Guessing at this - -

Guessing, it does not appear to be a Van's kit part, more like something that a builder would fabricate for a unique install need.

Or, ELT etc.

Looks heavy. Probably made from scrap parts on hand, not worried about weight of the parts.

Venture a guess

Maybe a strong well built mount for ELT ? strong to help it stay intact during impact.

Centre post to seat pan

Looks like the piece was made for the centre “post” to seat pan (I.e. that area just in front of the flap actuator on a -7

Looks like the piece was made for the centre “post” to seat pan (I.e. that area just in front of the flap actuator on a -7

That's what came to my mind since I just had my 7A apart for it's conditional. But it is definitely over built for that part.

Other than Clay is working on an '8'.

Someone who is able, please calculate the load strength of this piece. Just looking at it, I bet you could lift the whole plane with it.

If you keep it, you'll probably never know what it is. But if you throw it away, then in about 3 weeks you will discover what it's for. At that time, you can fabricate a new one!

Don't ask me how I know these things........:rolleyes:

AirVenture

It look A LOT like the part we made years ago at the Airventure metal/riveting class.

Back