What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Sport SX Legacy problems

NYTOM

Well Known Member
Already sent a request to GRT Support but haven’t heard back. My attitude and heading screen started tumbling like mad. Shut down and rebooted but it starts tumbling again as soon as I start to taxi. Always wait to give it all the time it wants to align . Do you think this is a
software or hardware problem? It did a slow tumble a couple times before but after a reset it was OK. Just trying to get a idea of what might be wrong and if I’m going to have get a second mortgage on the house to buy a whole new EFIS. :eek: Anyone else have this problem, anyone? A simple answer like “no big deal” or “Buddy your screwed” would be fine. :)

Hardware

Probably hardware. GRT has traditionally been very good on repairing hardware. My own recent hardware issue on a Sport EX was repaired for the cost of shipping after the warranty had expired.

Cheers, Sean

GRT

I’ve had similar problems with the SX. I’ve owned the 6A 7 years, I send them to GRT and they return quickly. Once was free the second time it was $150.00 cheap any price. I can’t remember which on or both, I have an SX and a HX.

Had the same issue with my GRT Sport SX a year or so ago. Turned out to be a gyro. Sent the unit in and they turned it around in a few days. I don’t remember the cost but it wasn’t too bad.

I’ll sleep better now

Thank you so much for the replies. As long as it’s fixable , all is good. :)

About 2 years from new my Sport Sx started to tumble now and then. Sent it in to GRT and they replaced the gyro as I recall. Price pretty reasonable. No problems for the past 5 years.

Good news about exceptional GRT Support.

A Big Shout Out to Jeff at GRT for their outstanding support. :D He worked with me and pretty much held my hand getting me through some diagnostic tests and new software installations. They were even answering my emails that I sent late at night and not expecting replies till at least the next day. My Sport SX is preforming better than new and even has some new features. ;)
It sure does give you a warm fuzzy when a company supports equipment bought at least a decade ago like you just purchased it yesterday. :) How many of you have bought electronic equipment only to find its obsolete with no parts or help available within what seems like months. :mad:

I had same with a legacy magnetometer, live emails/vid clips of my data, what to check and a quick replacement swap.

NYTOM - "My Sport SX is preforming better than new and even has some new features."

What new features are you seeing?
Thanks

What new features are you seeing?
Thanks

I’m seeing obstacles on the horizon and some black lines on the ground. Checking a sectional and their positions as the plane turns while I taxi shows TV, Cell towers etc. in those positions. Hope to get in the air soon to confirm. This might just be something everyone else everyone with a SX already see’s and I may just be finding it for the first time but it’s new to me. :D
I was running original software when the tumbling started. :eek: Thought I downloaded the latest software for both the EFIS and AHAR in the summer of 2019 but in reality screwed up and only loaded the new EFIS version and was still running the AHAR .40 version. :p Now running .46. Big difference.:)
Should mention that I’m not particularly computer/ software savvy. But that was probably obvious. :eek:

Yep you are seeing obstacle alerts. On the ground I see a lot of vertical lines but in the air they basically go away since you are above them. At first I thought the screen was acting up. In flight, You will see a tower as a red dot if you are within the alert distance, for example.
If you have ADS-B in for your EFIS you will see diamond shapes representing other planes on the PFD page, both in flight and on the ground and of course traffic and weather on the map page.
Some, if not all, of this can be selected on or off with the soft keys.
As with all of the EFIS brands, it’s good stuff

Oh this is awesome

Yep you are seeing obstacle alerts. On the ground I see a lot of vertical lines but in the air they basically go away since you are above them. At first I thought the screen was acting up. In flight, You will see a tower as a red dot if you are within the alert distance, for example.
If you have ADS-B in for your EFIS you will see diamond shapes representing other planes on the PFD page, both in flight and on the ground and of course traffic and weather on the map page.
Some, if not all, of this can be selected on or off with the soft keys.
As with all of the EFIS brands, it’s good stuff

That’s great news. I do have ADS-B in and have never seen any obstacles on the EFIS and always relied upon my GPS & ForeFlight with a I-Pad for obstacles and traffic. The EFIS only showed the moving map with GPS track if one was programmed in. This is going to be exciting.
Thanks.

Update, Update, Update

Really excited to get back in the air and test my newly upgraded Sport SX.
Powered up and everything was dead on. Started to taxi and after three 90 degree turns the screen started tumbling again. :eek: Jeff from GRT told me to carry a flash drive with me and if this tumbling happened again to Demo record it and send the file to him. Well back to the hangar, lock up and find a computer. Sent the file to Jeff and within a couple of hours I received his diagnosis. Bad pitch gyro needs to be replaced. :mad: Well instead of flying this weekend I spent my time tracking my Sport SX on its trip to Snowy Michigan to have corrective surgery.
I’ll update again with the results of GRT’s response.:)

Ridiculous service.

My Sport SX arrived at GRT at 12:15 today. At 1:45 I received a call that the repairs ( new gyro) had been completed and it was being shipping today. At 2:01 I was emailed the tracking number from UPS. Now that’s ridiculously good service. :D:D:D

Back