What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Older fiberglass parts

Fenderbean

Well Known Member
Is there anything different between an older white fiberglass horizontal/vertical stab end caps vs newer gray colored ones?

Thanks

Fiberglass

Yes. Pinholes. The gray gel coat is much cleaner. Not sure they fit significantly better.

do you think its worth paying for newer ones? From what I have seen, the new parts are not much better as far as finish and fit. If they are stronger thats another story, I would pony up the cash for that since it can be a source of cracks down the road. I have a friend who is a genius with carbon fiber which I thought about sending them to him and have him layup a set in carbon fiber or kevlar

New parts

do you think its worth paying for newer ones? From what I have seen, the new parts are not much better as far as finish and fit. If they are stronger thats another story, I would pony up the cash for that since it can be a source of cracks down the road. I have a friend who is a genius with carbon fiber which I thought about sending them to him and have him layup a set in carbon fiber or kevlar

Not really. The small parts are easy. No reason to pay for new ones. Split them if necessary. Cleko in place. Apply some glass to hold shape. Remove. Fill the split inside with flox and glass over. Done.
My wingtips were gray gel. Pretty good fit. Hinge attached. Very little paint prep.
Cowl is pepto pink. I'm not looking forward to paint prep. Didn't fit very well either. I almost bought a new one.

Not really. The small parts are easy. No reason to pay for new ones. Split them if necessary. Cleko in place. Apply some glass to hold shape. Remove. Fill the split inside with flox and glass over. Done.
My wingtips were gray gel. Pretty good fit. Hinge attached. Very little paint prep.
Cowl is pepto pink. I'm not looking forward to paint prep. Didn't fit very well either. I almost bought a new one.

Wingtips will not be vans, these are just elevator and rudder caps. I will just use them and do some reinforcement.
Thanks

Back