What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rusty TOOLS.... Ahaaaa....

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
Some of my beloved tools were in storage, bucking bars, rivet sets, dies were subject to some moisture and storage. The rust does note seem too bad.

Suggestions on how to remove rust and make them look pretty again? Soak in magic rust remover (your favorite brand or brew), blast with media (sand, beads). Thanks

PS some of the parts that are polished need to be polished

Last edited:
Bench grinder with a wire wheel is where I typically go first. Blasting with favorite media typically always works.

Just soak them in white vinegar till clean and then a rinse bath in water and baking soda mix.

Some of my beloved tools were in storage, bucking bars, rivet sets, dies were subject to some moisture and storage. The rust does note seem too bad.

Suggestions on how to remove rust and make them look pretty again? Soak in magic rust remover (your favorite brand or brew), blast with media (sand, beads). Thanks

PS some of the parts that are polished need to be polished

Living in Florida means finding rust on one tool or another. What I have found that works is quick pass with brass brush or steel wool to knock off off outer surface. Overnight soak in vinegar, make sure part stays submerged. I hit it with a brush or steel wool to knock off any residual rust. Repeat as necessary. Then rinse with water and use air gun to blow dry. If needed I lube the joints, like a pliers as this will strip most lubrication. If it was a polished piece, you can polish then

Finally to prevent it in the first place, I do a quick wipe with a rag with corrosionX before they go back in the tool box. If I am doing a multi day project, I just hit it when I am doing my clean up. Makes a big difference.

Thanks all.... going go after it. Cheers

EDIT: Success. (this is just what I did not the gospel, but seemed to work)
  • Bucket, 50/50 white vinegar / water mix and a few drops of dishwashing soap
  • Put tools bucket, let sit 12-18 hours (rubber gloves move tools around once and awhile)
  • Dump fluid and rinse and rinse and rinse fresh water.
  • Repeat with a baking soda / water mix to neutralize (no soap), sit for 4-8 hrs.
  • Fresh water rinse rinse rinse again.
  • Dry in oven 160F for a hour or three (check w/ wife first)
  • Wire brush on drill press, fine work Dremel with wire brushes.
As you see I used all the advice, and blasting not needed. All the bucking bars, rivet set (cup and flat) and most of small tools (counter sink drill bit, dimple dies) came out nice.

My flat rivet set on edge small area had pitting. That will buff out. Frankly never liked that flat set. Need a new one anyway. I'll wipe everything down in some light oil. Thanks for the advice. WORKED GREAT. (EDIT: Pictures below before and after)

Last edited:
Yikes those were really ugly- - good recovery. I am against etching fine tool surfaces but it might have been the only way for these. Gotta sharpen the cutters now.

And get some 500g desiccant bags for your tool box.

I really hate when this happens - -I built an 8X12 insulated room at the hangar for this very reason. A tool room.

Yikes those were really ugly- - good recovery. I am against etching fine tool surfaces but it might have been the only way for these. Gotta sharpen the cutters now.
It was way beyond desiccant. It was neglect and carelessness on my part, stored in cardboard box, wrapped in packing paper, box got damp and sat for long period. The vinegar did not remove much metal, at least anymore than iron oxidation did. In 90% of corrosion does not matter, non business ends of a bucking bar or rivet set.

The drill bits and counter sinks were OK. I don't know how much a mild vinegar mix dulled them if at all. If dull I'll buy new. The dimple die sets look good and doubtful the profile changed. You can see the shiny dimple die sets. Those are the high end ones with better steel and finish. Zero corrosion, nk need to clean. Again testing will be done on scrap. If the QC Dept rejects I'll have to buy new ones. The cost is so small compared to how much they are used. However bucking bars and rivets sets look good. Polish surfaces could be polished if/as needed.

Back