- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:17 AM

Default Howard RV7A Build

First real post. Mostly using this VAF as another way of documenting the progress and hopefully having other eyes help identify mistakes. Regardless, others posting here have helped give me ideas on how to tackle this project - many thanks!

Step 1 of Kit 1 started - Empennage arrived, unpacked and inventoried.
- One rib missing VS-706
- One extra rib HS-706
- One bearing missing MD3616M

Also looks like the label are a little different in the BAG 616-PC sub-kit. looks like the correct parts, but the labels are different than what is on the documentation (e.g. HS-411BPP-PC is labeled as HS-411PPC)

More to come.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7qvfxyU90

(Well, tried to add images from the EAA builders site - not sure if that is an option or not.)

Last edited by HaveQuestions : 01-11-2022 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 10-27-2021, 08:27 PM

Default Inventory

Brian
I have a spreadsheet on my blog. You may find it useful.
Look for "Basic Excel Builder Log". It appears you are using EAA but there's lots more in the spreadsheet.
One of the tabs is a complete 7(A) inventory. The others, are Time and Financials. Also an Epoxy/Paint calculator.
Feel free to browse.
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 10-27-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:09 AM

Interesting - I've noticed a number of your posts, but missed the blog. More ideas to consume.

Not sure if it is overkill, but I'm using a part ID (e.g. B0001) for each part. I noticed this helped me on the VANS practice kits to get the similar parts back exactly where they were supposed to be after demurring, dimpling, etc. That is I noticed sometimes match drilling is just a little off for each item.

Feels like I'm building a Rolls Royce!
Old 10-28-2021, 09:00 AM

Default Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveQuestions View Post
Interesting - I've noticed a number of your posts, but missed the blog. More ideas to consume.

Not sure if it is overkill, but I'm using a part ID (e.g. B0001) for each part. I noticed this helped me on the VANS practice kits to get the similar parts back exactly where they were supposed to be after demurring, dimpling, etc. That is I noticed sometimes match drilling is just a little off for each item.

Feels like I'm building a Rolls Royce!
I pulled my blog link from my signature. Its still available to anyone who wants to see it. All they need do is ask.

Your labeling procedure is very useful.
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:20 AM

Howdy Brian. Welcome to the forums!
Old 10-28-2021, 10:47 AM

Default two of the same or mis-identified part?

You may want to dimensionally inspect your (2) HS-706 parts. If they are different, check them against the VS-706 detail part drawing. There is an outside chance there is a mis-identified part, which is much easier to solve.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstancy View Post
You may want to dimensionally inspect your (2) HS-706 parts. If they are different, check them against the VS-706 detail part drawing. There is an outside chance there is a mis-identified part, which is much easier to solve.
I'll check tonight. Being new to building, I'm just going off labels at the moment.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:41 AM

Default H-Stab done, VS 706 missing and now a Technical Advisor!

End of year is pretty crazy and I don't like spending as much time on the computer after work - where I'm always on the computer. Must be part of the reason I'm not into video games.

The H-Stab is done. Turns out a guy I've known for a long time is an EAA technical advisor - so I'm starting that process with him. I'll still update that EAA builder's site when I get a few minutes. I already write dates on the plans so I kinda know what I feel is "done" and what I need to look back at along the way. Regardless, I got a second set of eyes on that H-Stab and it is airworthy as best a real A&P was able to see. Lots of suggestions on how to do things better as I move along - and that was well worth the time.

Looks like the VS 706 didn't ship in the kit - but I have a spare HS 706! And no, it doesn't look like you can swap the parts. At least the pre-drilled holes are completely different and likely more I don't have specs on (e.g. dimensions). Time to call Vans to see if I can get a VS 706 shipped.

Starting the Rudder while I wait. However, that will likely stop along the way as I need the V-Stab done to complete the rudder (thanks to others as I haven't made it that far in the plans just yet).

Goal is to knock out one other part (e.g. the V-Stab) and then get the wings on order. Decided to slow build. This building thing is kinda nice: pounding a bunch of small rivets into place sure helps sooth the soul after a frustrating day at work!
Old 12-28-2021, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveQuestions View Post
First real post. Mostly using this VAF as another way of documenting the progress and hopefully having other eyes help identify mistakes. Regardless, others posting here have helped give me ideas on how to tackle this project - many thanks!

Step 1 of Kit 1 started - Empennage arrived, unpacked and inventoried.
- One rib missing VS-706
- One extra rib HS-706
- One bearing missing MD3616M

Also looks like the label are a little different in the BAG 616-PC sub-kit. looks like the correct parts, but the labels are different than what is on the documentation (e.g. HS-411BPP-PC is labeled as HS-411PPC)

More to come.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/showmy.ph...19006765_n.jpg

(Well, tried to add images from the EAA builders site - not sure if that is an option or not.)
FYI, the link to your build log is not working. Just coming up with what looks like a bunch of code and nonsense.

RV7A(in construction)

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=N524JL
Old 12-28-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyL View Post
FYI, the link to your build log is not working. Just coming up with what looks like a bunch of code and nonsense.
Yea, that is the EAA builder log site. I tried to link an image there and the two sites get confused. I'll hack away at it later.

If I ever retire, I'll have to start building new web platforms for aviation. Most of them are "challenged" in some way. Although part of the reason I chose flying is to get away from computers....