What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Minimalist Builder Log ???

BruceW

Well Known Member
I HATE log entries!!!
Time cards and similar things drive me crazy. I avoid them and then get behind.
Maybe a mental problem, IDK.

What is the most basic, minimalist log to meet FARs? (digital or hard copy)
Dont care about documenting or posting my build.
Just the basics Ma'am.

Thanks.

I would think just checking off steps in the KAI and dating them would be sufficient. Some photos along the way would be a good idea.

I use the EAA builders log as well.

I'm the same as you Bruce. Calculating and writing down hours is not fun to me. I've just been taking images as I've built my tail.

I would think just checking off steps in the KAI and dating them would be sufficient. Some photos along the way would be a good idea.

I use the EAA builders log as well.

Agreed, another good idea I’ve heard of is a time lapse camera in the shop activated by a motion sensor. Could be edited into a single video file you can show your inspector.

Agreed, another good idea I’ve heard of is a time lapse camera in the shop activated by a motion sensor. Could be edited into a single video file you can show your inspector.

I have a security cam in the garage that starts recording when I turn the light on. I hope no one ever wants to review the hundreds of hours....

Just like the others said, my DAR seemed happy to see photographs, especially of interior surfaces before they were closed up, and some with me in them, too. They were all digital, I brought a portable computer to the hangar; the DAR spent 5 minutes looking thru the photos, said, ‘that’s all I need’.
I wrote notes directly on the plans (RV10). Important, IMHO: anything skipped or not completely finished at the end of the day got a red ink notation. And any fittings or hoses not at final torque got a flag of red tape. When I finished the task, a black ink line went thru it, removed the red tape. I also had a spiral notebook for things not in the plans, like wiring diagrams, avionics, wt and balance, etc. But the DAR like the photos best.

Spiral Notebook / 3-ring notebook with grid paper.

Not kidding.

My -6 builders log was about 15 pages of grid lines with a date and the item being worked on. Hundreds of lines just had a date and a 'ditto' mark ("). Maybe 20 pictures.

My -15 build log will be the same.

v/r,dr

Last edited:
I just made a check mark and wrote the date next to each item in the builders manual as I completed it. Simple as that. Let me know which steps were completed and this was also acceptable to the DAR. Had a bunch of pics on my IPad, but didn’t need to show them.

On the RV-6, I handed the DAR about a hundred pictures in the neat little envelopes the photo developing shop provided.

On the RV-10, I made a bunch of pictures with my phone, put them in a separate folder, and handed the phone to the DAR.

From the DAR perspective…

Some folks spend more time on the builder log than building the plane. It’s pretty to
Look at but overkill

We are required to upload the builder log into AWC . Our FSDO guidance was not to overload the FAA servers with huge builder logs. It was suggested that 6-8 pix or pages would satisfy our FSDO

Many builders just notate their plans with a date and time.

My favorite was the guy who had a large tv showing all his pix running when I got to the hangar

A few questions generally satisfies me whether or not the applicant built the plane or not

This is all good news.
Wonder if the standards for some form of logbook was different 15 years ago when I started my 7 project.
Glad to hear it has evolved into a broader 'proof of build' requirement.

I will plan on pics, receipts, and other documentation and forgo the logbook.
Thanks. Will sleep better tonight.

Now if I can figure a way to do the same with my solo consulting business. :D

I still use a spiral notebook, same as I did for the preceding 8 airplanes. When I come in from the shop, I write down what I did that day. Takes about 1 to 2 minutes. I keep a running estimate of hours, although that's not required. I also take pictures once every week or two.

Builder log

Some folks spend more time on the builder log than building the plane. It’s pretty to
Look at but overkill
<snip>

Overkill? Maybe to some.
Valuable? At least to me and quite a few of my followers. I like to think it adds resale value as well.
I've been doing it so long, it only takes a few minutes.
It is pretty if I do say so myself! :D
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com

If you know who your DAR will be, have them come out a few times to see the construction. I did that and never had to show any type of log. That was good because I an not good at that sort of stuff.

I did have a ton of pictures and put them in folders when the guy from the FAA came to give me my repairman certificate.

Im just lucky at work I have a person to take care of all the crapola I am not good at and do not enjoy!

log

For the first half of my build I was good at dating the steps I completed in the manual. I also had several pads of paper where I put the date, hours and a few sentences about what I did that day. I also took pictures every few days and make sure I am in some of them.

Now that I have restarted the project I am using the free EAA builders log. It is a lot quicker and easier for me to enter notes on the computer than write in a notebook. And a whole lot easier to read. Also I can take pictures with my iPhone, they show up on mac photos. Then I can easily export to a jpg and upload to the EAA builders log. For me that is a lot easier than keeping track of photos and paper logs.

Regards,
Brad

Back