What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel or Engine, which to order next

BOHICA

Well Known Member
I am trying to decide whether I should order the engine or panel next. I have QB Wings and Fuselage on order. Ordered those in May 2021 still waiting. Seems like the next longest lead time is for a panel. Need to check with Stein
and Aerotronics. Last I checked with Lycoming their lead was 6 monthish.

Seems like getting panel and finishing wiring then hanging engine is way to go. Thoughts?

I am trying to decide whether I should order the engine or panel next. I have QB Wings and Fuselage on order. Ordered those in May 2021 still waiting. Seems like the next longest lead time is for a panel. Need to check with Stein
and Aerotronics. Last I checked with Lycoming their lead was 6 monthish.

Seems like getting panel and finishing wiring then hanging engine is way to go. Thoughts?

Engine prices are going up, and panel components are going down. I'd buy the engine.

You need the engine to do the cowl and baffles. Order the engine.

If you do not have a prop hub to fit the cowl, then order the prop when you order the engine. I used an old Hartzell hub for cowl fit on the last two RVs even though I had the prop - it made the fit up easier as there where no blades to go around (or hit with my head).

There is no wait time if you make your own panel. Don’t assume it as too hard - if you can build an RV you can make your own panel. EFIS network designs make wiring straight forward. The side benefit is you then know it so maintenance, updates and modifications are done by you, not some kid at the local avionics shop.

You will be surprised how often you will want to modify the panel. For RVs this can be just a new $28 piece of aluminum from Van’s, some time cutting holes and paint, or several $K to have someone else do it.

Carl

Engine

So many dependencies on FWF. Engine first. If you order electronics first, the warranty clock wll be ticking while you work FWF. Sounds like you don't have a fuse yet either so there's lots to do ti finish the fuse before FWF. Canopy takes time even on a 14.

Or both if you have the budget? Engines can run 6-12 months. My panel was supposed to be delivered 8-10 months after I made the first payment, but it is looking like 14 months. Both have such long lead times that if you can order both, and then work on whichever comes, might help you keep going.

I ordered both as the lead time on the engine was 3-4 months back in 2013.
I had the panel finished just in time to hang the engine and start the CHT, EGT, temp and pressure wiring.
I would say do the panel first but ordering depends on lead times.

Or both if you have the budget? Engines can run 6-12 months. My panel was supposed to be delivered 8-10 months after I made the first payment, but it is looking like 14 months. Both have such long lead times that if you can order both, and then work on whichever comes, might help you keep going.

If it takes 14 months to get a panel done, why not do it yourself. Will save 13 months and several thousand dollars. As Carl mentioned, its not that hard.

Larry

If it takes 14 months to get a panel done, why not do it yourself. Will save 13 months and several thousand dollars. As Carl mentioned, its not that hard.

Larry

That was the original plan. But the discounts from a package deal pay for the cost of someone else doing it. And I have plenty of other stuff to keep working on before it comes. I'm not exactly sitting around pining for it.

That was the original plan. But the discounts from a package deal pay for the cost of someone else doing it. And I have plenty of other stuff to keep working on before it comes. I'm not exactly sitting around pining for it.

My experience is ordering all the avionic components as a package deal provided such discounts as well. Here Stein is a rock star!

Do not overlook the benefit of doing the work yourself. The knowledge gained pays dividends for as long as you own the plane.

Carl

My experience is ordering all the avionic components as a package deal provided such discounts as well. Here Stein is a rock star!

Do not overlook the benefit of doing the work yourself. The knowledge gained pays dividends for as long as you own the plane.

Carl

In keeping with the amateur built aircraft theme, I built my engine from ore that I dug up and smelted from my backyard, plus 100s of parts that I made myself on a lathe from whatever I could forage in the forest. Mostly granite for the cylinders, for example. Found some nice hardwoods for exhaust valves. They tend not to burn much as long as EGT is kept below 150F.

I thought I could rely on pros for the panel since the price was right to save me the trouble, without offending too many do-it-yourselfers. Guess not. Next time I talk to Stein, I will suggest he fire all his people who handle the builds for him!

I would order sooner than later, lead times on kits, avionics and engines has increased and likley to get worse. Shortages of materials and labor seem to be the culprit.

Last edited:
Think I will order engine after thinking on things and reading comments, and just order panel parts. Seems like I can get the avionics quicker than waiting on someone to build panel.

Think I will order engine after thinking on things and reading comments, and just order panel parts. Seems like I can get the avionics quicker than waiting on someone to build panel.

Take a look at Fast Stack Approach. I bought my avionics for my RV-9A from Stein, but got the wiring from Fast Stack. Quite a bit cheaper, and not a lot more work than a Stein panel. I plan to do the same thing with my RV-14A.

-Dan

Take a look at Fast Stack Approach. I bought my avionics for my RV-9A from Stein, but got the wiring from Fast Stack. Quite a bit cheaper, and not a lot more work than a Stein panel. I plan to do the same thing with my RV-14A.

-Dan

The Approach Fast Stack would simplify the wire runs.

Back