What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your RV-14 panel

I have an Ipad in the guardian mount and am very happy with the decision. With a sentry it has its own ads-b source of info, integrates seamlessly with the GNX375, independent backup AHRS and its own power. If I load a plan in the GNX375, it will automatically come up with a prompt asking if I want the plan xfilled in Foreflight. Any flight plan changes can be made on the ipad and sent directly to the GNX375. It gives my passenger their own independent flight screen they can use, make changes etc without fear of changing anything in the PFD.

I have an Ipad in the guardian mount and am very happy with the decision. With a sentry it has its own ads-b source of info, integrates seamlessly with the GNX375, independent backup AHRS and its own power. If I load a plan in the GNX375, it will automatically come up with a prompt asking if I want the plan xfilled in Foreflight. Any flight plan changes can be made on the ipad and sent directly to the GNX375. It gives my passenger their own independent flight screen they can use, make changes etc without fear of changing anything in the PFD.

Are there any systems that would allow her to wear a noise cancelling headset and watch a movie on an iPad?

Here's the plan...

This is the latest plan for my -14.

Attachments

• JET RV14 Panel 8-17-21.png
    JET RV14 Panel 8-17-21.png
    528.9 KB · Views: 766

Looks nice. One question: Why are you putting headset jacks in the panel? (at least they look like headset jacks). The 14 has them on the floor either side of the seats, and that keeps the wires out of the way nicely.

N94MS Panel

David at Avionics Systems in Virginia did a great job! Highly recommended.

Panel includes:
Dual Touch's
G5
Garmin A/P head
GNX-375
GNC-255
GMA-245

Behind Panel:
Remote Comm#2
VPX Pro
etc

Note: Center panel has been changed to have canopy release hole in correct position. Also added a SAFE GLIDE switch.

Attachments

• N94MS Panel.jpg
    N94MS Panel.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 769
Looks nice. One question: Why are you putting headset jacks in the panel? (at least they look like headset jacks). The 14 has them on the floor either side of the seats, and that keeps the wires out of the way nicely.

Great point! I just didn't know.

JET

Panel

Looks great. I would consider changing the position of audio panel an AP-Panel…(like Marks example here). you will use the audio panel farless than AP…

I have gone back and forth with that so many times. Most GA airplanes I flew had the Audio Panel at the top so there's that. All the airplanes I flew with the AP panel at the top had autothrottles, so there's that. I reasoned that many of the functions on the AP panel required a power adjustment, so why not put it close.
It's just about time to flip the quarter... :cool:

Thanks for the input. I need all I can get!

Attachments

• JET RV14 Panel 8-20-21.png
    JET RV14 Panel 8-20-21.png
    522.1 KB · Views: 491
I have gone back and forth with that so many times. Most GA airplanes I flew had the Audio Panel at the top so there's that. All the airplanes I flew with the AP panel at the top had autothrottles, so there's that. I reasoned that many of the functions on the AP panel required a power adjustment, so why not put it close.

Good thought with the Throttle adjustment! :)

Audio panel on top? There are historical reasons for that and those reasons no longer apply. Back in the bad old days of tube radios, before there were flip-flop radios, a pilot would listen on one radio and then tune the other to the next frequency. Then to switch radios, it was go to the audio panel, turn off the old radio audio, turn on the new radio audio, and switch transmitters.

With flip-flop radios, you don't have to do that. Once things are set, you hardly need an audio panel. In fact, you hardly need two radios any more if the comm radio can monitor a standby frequency. I've flown single comm radio for six years now and never looked back.

The second reason that audio panels were installed atop the panel is that often the cowling sloped down ahead of the windshield, and old style audio panels tapered down at the forward end to match the limited space.

As for putting the autopilot panel next to the power knob because they get used at the same time... Maybe sometimes, but not all the time. When you move your eyes over to the autopilot panel so you can push the right button, it's easier if you don't have to move your eyes down.

As for your choice of GPS, I think there's a better option. The GTN650 (or other GTN6XX) has more screen real estate, and that will be handy when you are editing flight plans or fussing with approaches. Plus, if the GTNxxx has a comm radio built in, those frequencies will be displayed all the time and the knob will default to them, so in terms of usable GTN screen real estate, a separate comm radio costs you and provides no benefit. And if you've got another comm radio already, you're covered.

I'm not sure how things get wired up if you have the VHF NAV in a separate box, but with the VHF NAV in the same GTN box, the system will automatically transfer from GPS guidance to ILS guidance... if you set everything up correctly.

What would I do if it was my plane? Autopilot on top; GTN750 underneath to get effectively one more MFD screen; Comm 2 or Transponder underneath; and audio panel under the right side screen, 'cuz it will almost never get used, once the intercomm is set properly.

You said that you go back and forth. True confession, so do I, sometimes...

One comment about the audio panel: I like having an audio panel I can touch, versus accessing through my G3x screen or putting “out of the way.” I use it to listen to ATIS, add/mute satellite radio, and my audio panel has a “repeat last call” button that occasionally comes in handy. My buddy does not have a separate audio panel and must access through his screen, which is not nearly as convenient. YMMV. :rolleyes:

Here's how mine ended up.

GNX375
GNC255
GTR20 + GDL52R + TCW backup mounted behind the passenger panel.

I questioned myself by not putting in the second screen on the passenger side, but after 150 hours behind it, I'm glad I didn't. It's just too far to the right for the pilot to make regular use of it. The only thing I would do different (and budget not a consideration) is put in a GTN750 & scrap the gnx375/gnc255.

Attachments

• InkedIMG-4393_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG-4393_LI.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 524

I would avoid toggle switches right ahead of either seat - they will catch on the leg of your pants when climbing in!
You may like to consider a Trig TY91 radio instead of the top com, it can be controlled from the G3X and leaves space for a G meter or slip ball at the top of the stack. Those are available in the G3 but much easier to look at with a stand alone instrument.
I like vents in the panel blasting in your face, below the panel is too low for a good blast of air when it is needed.
Do you really, really want a keyed ignition switch?
Pete

Here's how mine ended up.

GNX375
GNC255
GTR20 + GDL52R + TCW backup mounted behind the passenger panel.

I questioned myself by not putting in the second screen on the passenger side, but after 150 hours behind it, I'm glad I didn't. It's just too far to the right for the pilot to make regular use of it. The only thing I would do different (and budget not a consideration) is put in a GTN750 & scrap the gnx375/gnc255.

Thanks for sharing. Though I have years to go, I have been thinking one pilot MFD with a stack similar to yours, leaving space on the right side for, perhaps, an iPad mount. Your setup looks IFR capable, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for sharing. Though I have years to go, I have been thinking one pilot MFD with a stack similar to yours, leaving space on the right side for, perhaps, an iPad mount. Your setup looks IFR capable, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, IFR capable. My back up battery will power the G3X system (GDU, GSU, GMU, etc..) & the G5 has its own back up battery. Should I lose the GDU for some reason, foreflight on my ipad mini will get me out of a pinch.

As I mentioned, the GTN750 would have been ideal, but hind sight being what is....

All in all, I'm happy with the setup and layout.

As I mentioned, the GTN750 would have been ideal, but hind sight being what is....

All in all, I'm happy with the setup and layout.

Out of curiosity, would you also think about getting rid of the audio panel (I think that is a GMA 245) for a remote audio panel, or no?

Out of curiosity, would you also think about getting rid of the audio panel (I think that is a GMA 245) for a remote audio panel, or no?

I went with a remote audio panel; it frees up space so you can install a GTN750xi with the Autopilot head below it, yet still have the canopy release handle in the stock position. And I _highly_ recommend the GTN750xi over the smaller boxes; so much real estate, and very easy to enter flight plans (since a full QWERTY keyboard can be displayed).

Regarding a second G3X (MFD): I installed a second G3X as it wasn't expensive, and find at least the left side of it very useful in flight. I display the engine page on it almost continuously, and can do things like Lean Assist without having to switch pages on the PFD. If anyone would like to fly the plane from the right seat, that second G3X is a must - this includes curious spouses, children and friends, most of whom (at least for me) like to do some gentle air work while keeping heading and altitude.

I also thought about resale value: a two screen G3X panel is far more desirable than just one. A GTN750xi is highly desirable. Both substantially increase selling price, at least recently, to the point that you'll likely recoup your investment.

_Alex

I don't think I'd ever get rid of the audio panel with my current setup - It's just too easy to adjust volume, etc. I hardly ever use my remote mounted com radio for the same reason - too many button pushes to access. I essentially use my 2nd (remote com) to get ATIS and that's about it.

It's probably just me, but sometimes the tactile feel of a knob lets you stay 1/2 second ahead of things without looking.

The same applies for the AP controller. Sure, its controllable through touchscreen, but how many clicks and swipes does it take to get there when you need to make a quick heading change?

Everyone will have their own input and opinions, none of which are right or wrong. What it boils down to is what equipment, & conditions you are used to flying.

new 14 panel

VFR G3x, easily upgradeable to IFR by sacrificing the center map box.

rademacher%201-M.jpg

rademacher%202-M.jpg

Rademacher%203-M.jpg

Found that Van's sub-panel mapbox hole was the perfect size to house the Garmin remote audio panel plus remote com1 and com2 radios.

rademacher%204-M.jpg

Throttle?

VFR G3x, easily upgradeable to IFR by sacrificing the center map box.

rademacher%201-M.jpg

rademacher%202-M.jpg

Rademacher%203-M.jpg

Found that Van's sub-panel mapbox hole was the perfect size to house the Garmin remote audio panel plus remote com1 and com2 radios.

rademacher%204-M.jpg

Hey Steve,

Just curious; where are you putting the throttle, mixture, prop controls?

Can you remove the remote audio panel forward enough to get it out of the tray without removing the tray? It's going to be tight if it does.

Panel and GTN 750 height

I am looking at putting the GTN 750 with a GMA 35 mounted to it in the RV-14 center stack. I am going to use the canopy release mod Van's is coming out with that relocates the handle to a cable and knob system off to the side somewhere, so it won't be in the center stack.
I highly desire the 750 to be the top of the stack and high. From my messing around with CAD models it looks like the back of the 750 might hit the actual canopy release mechanism structure in the forward section bulkhead if it is up to max height on the center stack. Am I on the right track? Does anyone know what the minimum distance from the top of the center stack panel edge to the top of the 750 hole would be so as not to interfere with canopy mechanism? Or perhaps there are worthy mods to the system so I can overcome the interference and keep the 750 high up?
I don't have a model of the GMA 35 - it could be a problem too.
Flight chops panel looks like his 750 is quite high.
See photo - I am a novice at the CAD thing.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• 750 interfere highlight.jpg
    750 interfere highlight.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 302
Van’s is coming out with a relocated canopy release kit? First I heard of that. Great idea. How did you find out about that?

Thanks

Canopy Release OP-63

Announced at Oshkosh as OP-63 - RV-14 Remote Canopy Release

Attachments

• 20210726_085554.jpg
    20210726_085554.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 381
  • 20210726_085538.jpg
    20210726_085538.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 368
Thanks for the posting on the remote handle. Do they publish the slides from the talk anywhere? Possibly EAA. Prior to doing that I would make sure it would work with my interior scheme. Looks like a call is in order.

How did you all choose the switches you decided to use? The feel and positive click on switches like these has to be really important. Do the various vendors bring samples to Sun&Fun or Oshkosh?

RV14 Panel

Finally getting around to posting some pics of my completed RV14.

Attachments

• B3F66C0A-3700-4E13-8C1B-7AC31DF80A04.jpg
    B3F66C0A-3700-4E13-8C1B-7AC31DF80A04.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 1,093
KISS

Love it!
KISS principle at work.
However, the avionics package you have is 10 times more capable than anything I have flown.
I'm planning very similar.

Finally getting around to posting some pics of my completed RV14.

This is pretty darn close to what I was envisioning. Thanks for posting!

What is that thing to the left of your flaps switch? And what's the use case with the NAV/COM BNC connectors on the panel?

Last edited:
How did you all choose the switches you decided to use? The feel and positive click on switches like these has to be really important. Do the various vendors bring samples to Sun&Fun or Oshkosh?

For me, on top of what you asked. You have to watch the space between a G3X and the bottom support bracket of panel will limit you on your switch height. Already prevented me from using the switches I wanted.

LR60

I love it.

I will doing something very similar to begin with, and then maybe add a second display in the future. I really like what looks like the Master Warning and Caution Lights. I have not seen this before and curious what systems they associated with.

Mark,
Great panel.
I’m at the stage of planning the panel and wiring the G3’s avionics.
I’m also using duel pMags. Question: what source did you use to determine how to wire the Test function for the pMags?

Thanks,
Jeff

This is pretty darn close to what I was envisioning. Thanks for posting!

What is that thing to the left of your flaps switch? And what's the use case with the NAV/COM BNC connectors on the panel?

TO/GA switch

During construction I went ahead and mounted a VOR antenna in the wing tip and a 2nd com antenna for the eventual upgrade to a GTN. So I just ended the coax in the panel and can quickly connect to a handheld unit if needed for now.

LR60

I love it.

I will doing something very similar to begin with, and then maybe add a second display in the future. I really like what looks like the Master Warning and Caution Lights. I have not seen this before and curious what systems they associated with.

Thank you,

You can wire up master warning/caution lights to the GEA24, it’s easy. I really like having a “heads up’ light since it does catch my attention quicker than the actual CAS message. Also theses are press to test “switch” lights and show up well in bright sun. I wired up my CO test/reset switch to the caution light.

Nothing I did on my panel was a single original thought. I stole all my ideas from others who posted their panels. This is the main reason I posted my panel to help others visualize what they like/dislike. All my panel inspiration was from staring at other people’s panels.

Mark,
Great panel.
I’m at the stage of planning the panel and wiring the G3’s avionics.
I’m also using duel pMags. Question: what source did you use to determine how to wire the Test function for the pMags?

Thanks,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I believe I just used the pmag schematic along with the schematic stein has on his website for the type of Honeywell switch I used. It’s a momentary switch in the test position for the pmag which just interrupts power to the pmag.

Finally our panel

Hi guys
Our RV flies and we finally come around to post some panel pictures. We planned to panel to fly from the left and right seat to accommodate the heights of my wife and myself :) I'll always sit in the right seat, she in the left. We are very happy with the Dynon solution so far. The panel is made by Advanced Quick Panel. The toggle switches are "the Hummel solution", we wanted them instead of the standard switch panel.

IMG_1267 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr

IMG_1245 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr

IMG_1932 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr

IMG_1906 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr

Final Panel CAD

It's a done deal...

Attachments

• James Tyner, RV-14 Garmin G3X REV 6.jpg
    James Tyner, RV-14 Garmin G3X REV 6.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 664
New RV14 Garmin panel

Complete Garmin panel and airframe wire job, headed back to builder for completion. I have included a couple of behind the panel shots as well.

2022050517591337-6641526541846003094-IMG_1794-X2.jpg

2022050517591337--2628035618251040888-IMG_1796-X2.jpg

2022050517591337--1809114977940447420-IMG_1791-L.jpg

2022050517591337--6093272743374492065-IMG_1797-X3.jpg

2022050517591337-5360440646625163543-IMG_1798-X3.jpg

This is the same idea that I want to do. (Although I am determined to go with Garmin, my other two aircraft garmin cockpits so for fleet commonality reasons I'm gonna stay garmin)

I want to either create a completely symmetrical cockpit so that either seat can be PIC, or else (less desireable in my opinion) I'm gonna have to put a throttle repeater on the left side of the left seat.

I go back and forth on which hand I want to fly with. My wife prefers to fly left hand on stick right hand on throttle. Generally I prefer the other way around. And where I live a lot of formation flying goes on. Depending on where I am on any given day in the formation, I might Prefer to sit right seat as well....

So Ideally all controls for engine, lights, flaps etc and everything else will end up somewhere in the center. Running around the perimeter can be circuit breakers but would prefer that they be organized better.

Have just started pondering this.

I'm big on switchology too. Would love a couple of gangbars for Before Takeoff and Before landing. (probably the same gangbar in reality...)

Cheers
Andrew

Hi guys
Our RV flies and we finally come around to post some panel pictures. We planned to panel to fly from the left and right seat to accommodate the heights of my wife and myself :) I'll always sit in the right seat, she in the left. We are very happy with the Dynon solution so far. The panel is made by Advanced Quick Panel. The toggle switches are "the Hummel solution", we wanted them instead of the standard switch panel.

IMG_1267 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr

IMG_1245 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr

IMG_1932 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr

IMG_1906 by Fabian Hummel, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well... this is about as close to done right now as I'm getting to get so that I can get her flying! All Garmin and FlyEFII. I had the panel pieces cut at sendcutsend.com... who rock btw. .062" 5052 aluminum cost a total of $100 to get laser cut. They'll do steel, brass, titanium, etc etc.

The finish though is a white carbon fiber 3M vinyl. A hangar neighbor has a V35 with a very light panel and I wanted to give that a try.

You might be thinking, 'OH... there's no canopy ejection handle'... and you'd be right. That center panel is JUST the right height to have one of everything. Doesn't fit a 650 though. The 375 fits. I do, however, have a secondary center panel piece cut that removes the GMC 507 cutout and has an appropriate hole for the handle instead. Takes half an hour to switch them out and then you can go do whirly things (that's for resale mostly. I have no intention of doing aerobatics (yet)).

My only regret... not getting the vernier assist throttle cable from mcfarlane before sealing up the firewall passthroughs. My brother supposedly has milled me a titanium throttle knob replacement for the cable but I've yet to see it arrive at my house... YOU HEAR THAT BRO?!!!

Attachments

• 25hkPanelFinal.png
    25hkPanelFinal.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 348
The parts for the panel are in there somewhere along with my brakes and hoses.
Panel.jpg

Last edited:
Back