What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can anyone give me a vector? Engine Control Cable McFralane?

EXTAAFLY

Well Known Member
Installing a new engine and it is going to be an almost completely firewall forward job. Figure after 20+ years it's time to replace the cables. While everything is out.

O-360-A1A with DM Quadrant. Looked on Van's for their stock set up but don't seem to be having much luck in the new store.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Vans web page, click on store, click on airframe (red box on left),

type in the search box rv8 throttle cables and it should show the two cables

Installing a new engine and it is going to be an almost completely firewall forward job. Figure after 20+ years it's time to replace the cables. While everything is out.

O-360-A1A with DM Quadrant. Looked on Van's for their stock set up but don't seem to be having much luck in the new store.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

My guidance would be to head over to McFarlane and buy their cables - they are higher quality than the standard cables. If you want the standard cables, I have some I can sell to you - never used, but they were test-fit (and found to be the wrong length for my engine).

McFarlane makes good cables. Used several of theirs on a Cessna 140.

California Push-Pull is another choice. They have made all of my custom length cables for the RV-10. Well made, good customer service and prompt shipping.

The Vans cables are from marine boat applications. They get sticky and worn out after 400+ hours and a pain to replace. McFarlan cost more but will last 4 times longer and long term save you money.

Depending how your engine is laid out, make sure have enough travel in the cables. Some RV's I've flown had the "right length cables" but were still short 1/4" to set the full idle and rich stop points.

Thanks everyone.

Going to check a local vendor that is non-aviation related. If that doesn't work out then it will be McFarlane.

Van's shows 55" for Mixture and Prop and 60" for Throttle.

I am assuming mine are the stock Van's as they look like it. My prop cable is a little troublesome. When I changed the prop to the Hartzell composite I had to also replace the old McCaulley governor. The new governor is Jihostroj P-920-028/A I had to get the cable as short as possible and it still doesn't move the governor arm the full throw. I am assuming the cable should be slightly shorter.

Thanks everyone.

Going to check a local vendor that is non-aviation related. If that doesn't work out then it will be McFarlane.

Van's shows 55" for Mixture and Prop and 60" for Throttle.

I am assuming mine are the stock Van's as they look like it. My prop cable is a little troublesome. When I changed the prop to the Hartzell composite I had to also replace the old McCaulley governor. The new governor is Jihostroj P-920-028/A I had to get the cable as short as possible and it still doesn't move the governor arm the full throw. I am assuming the cable should be slightly shorter.

I had the same issues and decided to switch to verniers like I used in Extra and Super Decath. I modded a box and found the only cable lengths available were from Vans after calling Builder Assist. They were the new RV-14 cables not yet on their website. Works great and fine adjustments are easy to manage especially in turbulence. Here's a pic of the mod I was testing after fabrication. https://www.instagram.com/p/CTxzCgZrPYk/

The Vans cables are from marine boat applications. They get sticky and worn out after 400+ hours and a pain to replace. McFarlan cost more but will last 4 times longer and long term save you money.

Not sure this is universal. The cables on my 6 have 800+ hours and perform as well as new. I needed to clean up the plastic friction lock piece on the throttle, but otherwise good as new.

Larry

I had the same issues and decided to switch to verniers like I used in Extra and Super Decath. I modded a box and found the only cable lengths available were from Vans after calling Builder Assist. They were the new RV-14 cables not yet on their website. Works great and fine adjustments are easy to manage especially in turbulence. Here's a pic of the mod I was testing after fabrication. https://www.instagram.com/p/CTxzCgZrPYk/

Thanks Michael. I like that idea. However, since its my thread, creep is okay.

Tell me about your stick. Is that a 14 stick? Would you mind sharing the technique? I have plenty of room for taller stick, but the bent style is just a little forward for personal comfort.

Like your videos by the way. Your series on stalls helped me improve my sight picture for landing. Landings have improved quite a bit. It can be difficult at times to get used to the various cockpit heights I am lucky enough to sit in.

Tell me about your stick. Is that a 14 stick? Would you mind sharing the technique? I have plenty of room for taller stick, but the bent style is just a little forward for personal comfort.

It's a stock -8 stick that I cut and welded to the shape, needed to trim the top to fit the grip. I'm updating the panel next month with a curve at the bottom and replacing the stick with another -8 that has a slight curve. I like the taller stick for the ergonomics on my hand rest during longer trips and aerobatics. Will post pics when done.

It's a stock -8 stick that I cut and welded to the shape, needed to trim the top to fit the grip. I'm updating the panel next month with a curve at the bottom and replacing the stick with another -8 that has a slight curve. I like the taller stick for the ergonomics on my hand rest during longer trips and aerobatics. Will post pics when done.

Thank you for the reply. Look forward to seeing it. I did the same thing with my panel. Just need to figure out a stick that is a little better ergonomically.

McFarlane makes good cables. Used several of theirs on a Cessna 140.

California Push-Pull is another choice. They have made all of my custom length cables for the RV-10. Well made, good customer service and prompt shipping.

I agree, I got my cables from them over a decade ago. They’ve always had great service, but in the beginning, the folks answering the phone wouldn’t service aircraft owners. You had to know the magic words to get by them and talk to the owner. Once the word got out, they became more receptive to support the EAB community.

They do have sleeve options that support higher temps than the cables that Vans supplies. I highly recommend upgrading. This will help reduce the chance of the cable over heating, gumming up the cable, and prematurely failing.

Back