What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Panel Redo

Majorpayne317641

Well Known Member
Hi,

I am converting my RV8 panel to IFR. I had no choice but to modify the right sub panel because the previous owner placed a small intercom controller in it. I am now using a GMA 245. My question is, has anyone ever removed and replaced a sub panel in the RV8? If so, were you able to drill out the old rivets and install new rivets? Or did you go with some other technique? It is very tight especially by the canopy rail. Attached is what the old and new sub panel look like. Thanks.

Attachments

• RV-8 - Chris K - 11-18-21.JPG
    RV-8 - Chris K - 11-18-21.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 20211011_163924.jpg
    20211011_163924.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 213
Did this on an 8A. Do not remove the side panel, just put the new side panel over the old one.

The panel screws will hold it in on the inboard side. Once you mount the new switches and such, they will be in holes that go through both panels - the new panel will be held in place quite well.

Removing the side panel will result in a lot of unnecessary damage, and no one will be able to notice you just added another side panel over the old one.

Carl

Did this on an 8A. Do not remove the side panel, just put the new side panel over the old one.

The panel screws will hold it in on the inboard side. Once you mount the new switches and such, they will be in holes that go through both panels - the new panel will be held in place quite well.

Removing the side panel will result in a lot of unnecessary damage, and no one will be able to notice you just added another side panel over the old one.

Carl

I did exactly this on mine and it worked great.

Have done same several times. Just trim out, leaving small flange with plate nuts for the new panel. Also will be very handy for maintenance access…

Thank you all! So the bend at the bottom of the flange will not interfere with the geometry? Nut plates on the old plate sounds like a great option. Did you trim the new panel to fit flush with the main panel?

Mine was a very simple cover, which I eventually changed to add an O2 sensor control box. I only have before pictures, here is one:

img_4599.jpg

I screwed it on after covering it with the same "vinyl wrap" I used on the rest of the panel.

If you use a thicker piece, you won't need to bend the edges like I did, and probably the device you attach to that panel will hold it in place.

There may be better ways, and I hope someone gives you other suggestions.

Back