What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Trim Installation

bob865

Well Known Member
Hey Guys. Still a new builder and need some advice from the Vans community. I'm getting close to the end of my empennage kit and trying to install the electric trim kit. I couldn't find any directions in my empennage kit package, but the info was on the drawings. I installed the servo brackets as I thought was correct, but the control horn of the servo is off center of the hole for the control rod. I've checked and doublechecked and I followed the plans precisely.

The drawings show 1 3/8" from the inboard edge of EET-602B-L to the outboard edge of E-616PP. Looking at how it lays after assembled, it almost looks like I need to reverse the parts (i.e. 1 3/8" from the outboard edge of EET-602B-R to the inboard edge of E616PP)

Did I miss something? Anyone else seen this? I've already ordered the Replacement E-616PP

Attachments

• PXL_20211010_233930681.jpg
    PXL_20211010_233930681.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 140
  • PXL_20211010_234016555.jpg
    PXL_20211010_234016555.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 143
  • PXL_20211010_234317228.jpg
    PXL_20211010_234317228.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 144
This is the picture that you need. As I remembered it, some trimming was required after I finished building the trim tab. You will make more builder judgment as you progress in your build because the plan will never be as clear or detailed as the empenage section. There is a camp that will purchase replacement part for every minor mistake and there is another camp that prefer to build a replacement for a simple part. You have to decide when to purchase new part or when to make replacement. I have done both.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 171
I had the same problem on my nine. I ended up mounting the servo to the brackets and centering the rod on the slot. Then marked the edges of the bracket on the plate, removed the servo aligned the brackets with the marks and marked the holes on the plate.

I recently added electric trim to my -9A. I changed the 1 3/8 dimension to 1 1/4 to better align the pitch rod with the trim tab horn. That change also centered the rod in the slot opening in the E616PP cover plate.

Thanks, Guys. I hate I need a new part, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel better now. :)

I did about the same thing, built to plan and saw too late that the rod sits slightly off center in the slot. However...it's not binding, seems to operate smoothly through the full range of motion and nothing rubs or comes close to rubbing, so I'm undecided whether I'm going to do anything about it. If it was a show plane, sure, but perfection is the enemy of good enough etc.

Back