What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Favorite paint for wheel pants?

MacCool

Well Known Member
I'm re-fiberglassing the wheel pants on my RV-9A to repair some mounting hole stress cracks and other fiberglass damage. I'm about to start filling with the microballoons before taking to a body shop for final prep and painting.

What are your thoughts on the paint the type and brand of paint that I should discuss with them? I'm more concerned about durability of the paint than I am about a showplanes finish.

Hey Mac

Paul Dye posted in the past to use a Rustoleum type matching spray can paint that can be used to pretty the wheel pants as needed, as they get beat up over time. Seemed practical if you can find a good match. Some auto paint stores can also mix up custom 2 part (2K) polyurethane paints in a can as another option. Interested in what others will advise.

Paint shop

Call and ask the paint shop what they use. Most paint shops are comfortable with a particular brand. They may not guarantee results if you ask for another brand or type of paint. If they use Kirker, Eastwood or Summitt, they are all made by Kirker so almost unlimited choices. Most likely they will shoot a 2K epoxy primer and a base/clear urethane. Pretty standard stuff.

Paul Dye posted in the past to use a Rustoleum type matching spray can paint that can be used to pretty the wheel pants as needed, as they get beat up over time. Seemed practical if you can find a good match. Some auto paint stores can also mix up custom 2 part (2K) polyurethane paints in a can as another option. Interested in what others will advise.

Yes, I have often said that all our wheel paints have a paint color that can be matched with inexpensive rattle can colors because that way you will worry less about flying into grass or rough strips - you’ll know that you can repair and repaint without a lot of hassle or expense. I’d say that if the paint shop is goign to do the initial job, have them use a two-part process, but make the color easily matchable…best of both worlds!

Paul

Good tips...I've seen Paul's rattle can recommendation before and it makes good sense, but color matching is an issue and I'm a little more oriented toward a good durable finish than the ease of repainted from the hardware store since I rarely hit grass fields.

I'm thinking two-part polyurethane for durability and flexibility. My body shop guy said he'd use what I want and suggested Imron. Does Imron hold up better than other similar polyurethanes?

We're about to strip and re-paint ours using Eastwood 2K rattle can primer, gloss black, and clear. Should be easy to fix if/when they need it.

Wheel pants

Has anyone ever tried Rhino Liner on the bottom area where debris would cause damage? Maybe the bottom 1-2"?
Easy to apply. Tough. Easy to fix.

Has anyone ever tried Rhino Liner on the bottom area where debris would cause damage? Maybe the bottom 1-2"?
Easy to apply. Tough. Easy to fix.

Debris isn’t the problem - a flat tire and scraping off the bottom two inches of the pant is the problem! ;)

Back