What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for experienced Lycoming service shop

TomRV8

I have a factory new YIO540-D4A5 in my RV-10 that was completed last year. I have been having numerous issues with the motor from day 1…long story…

The short story is I’m looking for a very experienced Lycoming shop to troubleshoot issues with the power output of the motor, possible cylinder glazing and a leaking front prop seal. The shop needs to have the capability to hone the cylinders if necessary. I’d really like is a good troubleshooter.

Preferably looking either in the DFW or San Antonio areas, but can expand that if necessary. (I commute between the two)

Lycoming has taken full responsibility for the issues, and it is still under warranty.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Tom

Lycoming has taken full responsibility for the issues, and it is still under warranty.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Tom

Have you checked with Lycoming to see if they have any recommendations for a shop?

Yes. The representative from Lycoming that I’m dealing with said they don’t have recommended service centers any more, and he had no suggestions. I’m on my own it would appear!

Thanks

Have you checked with Lycoming to see if they have any recommendations for a shop?

I‘ve never made this recommendation before, but it sounds right up Savvy Analysis’s alley - you might check with them!

A word about Savvy; they contract with various "shops" to do the work. There is such a shop at my home field, but I haven't been real thrilled with the knowledge of the owner. In fact, this particular mechanic recommended pulling a cylinder when I had a low compression reading during annual. That is something that Savvy makes a big deal of NOT doing initially.

The point is, there are many different grades of "shops" out there and you could potentially get one that isn't so great. YMMV - a lot!

BTW, my compression readings came up after running the engine.

-Marc

While a good local mechanic is key to diagnostics, I would think twice about using one for honing. I recommend sending the cylinders to an overhaul shop that has the proper sunnen honing machine. I suspect most would charge a reasonable fee if all they are doing is the honing process vs an overhaul. The less preferred option is using an appropriate grit ball hone to break the glaze (this mostly removes the glazing and retains the majority of the original cross hatch created by the stones during initial honing operation). Honing by hand with honing stones does not leave the optimum scratch pattern in the cylinders. It requires a machine that can match the up down movement to the rotational speed to get the optimum pattern angles. It can be done and I have done it on my 320 when I glazed two cylinders, but it is not the way I would deal with a $60K new engine.

Larry

Last edited:
The short story is I’m looking for a very experienced Lycoming shop to troubleshoot issues with the power output of the motor, possible cylinder glazing and a leaking front prop seal. The shop needs to have the capability to hone the cylinders if necessary. I’d really like is a good troubleshooter.

Highly unlikely you'll find a maintenance shop that can meet your expectations, there are maintenance shops and engine shops.

A word about Savvy; they contract with various "shops" to do the work. There is such a shop at my home field, but I haven't been real thrilled with the knowledge of the owner. In fact, this particular mechanic recommended pulling a cylinder when I had a low compression reading during annual. That is something that Savvy makes a big deal of NOT doing initially.

The point is, there are many different grades of "shops" out there and you could potentially get one that isn't so great. YMMV - a lot!

BTW, my compression readings came up after running the engine.

-Marc

If you have to get a Lycoming warmed up to pass a compression check, it's a sure indication of worn cylinders. So maybe the mechanic was right?

While a good local mechanic is key to diagnostics, I would think twice about using one for honing. I recommend sending the cylinders to an overhaul shop that has the proper sunnen honing machine. I suspect most would charge a reasonable fee if all they are doing is the honing process vs an overhaul. The less preferred option is using an appropriate grit ball hone to break the glaze (this mostly removes the glazing and retains the majority of the original cross hatch created by the stones during initial honing operation). Honing by hand with honing stones does not leave the optimum scratch pattern in the cylinders. It requires a machine that can match the up down movement to the rotational speed to get the optimum pattern angles. It can be done and I have done it on my 320 when I glazed two cylinders, but it is not the way I would deal with a $60K new engine.

Larry

Agree with Larry, if the cylinders need to be honed then they need to go to an 'engine' shop', and most engine shops don't work on airplanes.

Back