What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pants

wirejock

Well Known Member
Couple questions about pants and fairings. 7A with the elastomer gear.

Is there any reason why I have to do this with wings mounted? Seems like the gear don't care if there's wings ince they are off the ground. I can lift and level the fuse while it's in my shop. Plan is to get them fit then finish and paint them later. My hangar is 45 minutes away. I would like this step done so I can finish them in my shop.

Can I support the fuse at the center section? I can use the cherry picker to lift the front.

Any tips or tricks?

I’ve done numerous sets of wheel pants without the wings on the airplane - WAY easier to work on as you don’t hit your head on the lift generators every time you stand up…..

Paul

Larry, with the wings off you don’t get this mark on your head on the OAT probe.

I got a HF motorcycle lift and made a wood box to sit on top of it to lift my whole plane. It worked great. If you custom the slope to fit your plane it is very stable - not enough to get in it while it is lifted but perfect to work on the wheels and pants.

Attachments

• 17CDB9EC-7DCA-4D90-8EAF-0B35E9C9B92A.jpg
    17CDB9EC-7DCA-4D90-8EAF-0B35E9C9B92A.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
This looks like a great tool to lift the airplane from the center section. https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60438.html
A few simple mods would make it stable and easy to level then some 2x4s to lock and hold position. HF hydraulics have a tendency to leak down. Maybe a 2x8 to span the center section and distribute weight.

Thoughts?

Yes, that's on my list. Exactly what I was thinking. ( Picking up the fuselage kit Thursday!)

Ball cap

Larry, with the wings off you don’t get this mark on your head on the OAT probe.

I got a HF motorcycle lift and made a wood box to sit on top of it to lift my whole plane. It worked great. If you custom the slope to fit your plane it is very stable - not enough to get in it while it is lifted but perfect to work on the wheels and pants.

Ouch. Someone long ago told me that's why Cessna drivers wear a ball cap. :D

I really wish someone had suggested/told me to fit the pants before plugging in the wings. I realized this after about the second time (out of hundreds) that I had to crawl under the wings... At least I didn't lose any skin or blood! Ouch.

Never mind the wings, I did my pants before I even had the engine. That makes it even easier to lift and level the fuselage!

This looks like a great tool to lift the airplane from the center section. https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60438.html
A few simple mods would make it stable and easy to level then some 2x4s to lock and hold position. HF hydraulics have a tendency to leak down. Maybe a 2x8 to span the center section and distribute weight.

Thoughts?

They do leak down. I tried to battle that but I ended up building a 2 X 10 stand to position under the spar box and shimmed it level at the floor. I used wood blocks and shims to block up the nose strut under the big nut. Rock solid for several weeks while I fit and installed the wheel fairings and fabricated the intersect fairings. One thing you will not be able to do without the wings on is fabricate the upper intersect fairing.

Is there any reason why I have to do this with wings mounted?

Technically, you don't even need the fuselage. The photo is an -8 gear, easy to jig. A -7 would require jigging the motor mount, but it would be just as easy, primarily two uprights clamped to the sides of the workbench, or some similar fastening.

Doing wheel pants at sitting or standing height is waaaay easier. As for the A-model folks, well, assume the position....;)

Attachments

• Wheelpant Jig.JPG
    Wheelpant Jig.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 69
  • RV7 Gear Leg Jig.jpg
    RV7 Gear Leg Jig.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 45
Stand

They do leak down. I tried to battle that but I ended up building a 2 X 10 stand to position under the spar box and shimmed it level at the floor. I used wood blocks and shims to block up the nose strut under the big nut. Rock solid for several weeks while I fit and installed the wheel fairings and fabricated the intersect fairings. One thing you will not be able to do without the wings on is fabricate the upper intersect fairing.

Photos?
Wing root fairings were done when the wings were mated. I'm good there.

Technically, you don't even need the fuselage. The photo is an -8 gear, easy to jig. A -7 would require jigging the motor mount, but it would be just as easy, primarily two uprights clamped to the sides of the workbench, or some similar fastening.

Doing wheel pants at sitting or standing height is waaaay easier. As for the A-model folks, well, assume the position....;)

Good idea but that ship has sailed. Tricky with an "A" model though since the gear are bolted to the Center Section spar. I think it should be in the manual right before engine is hung. Wish I had done it then.

Last edited:
Photos?
Wing root fairings were done when the wings were mated. I'm good there.
Here is a pic of the wood stand. I did add cross bracing to stabilize and sway. Basically just three 2 x 8 or 2 x 10 boards screwed together with a rubber pad on the top to protect the aluminum. I jacked it up with the HF jacks on the outboard ends of the spar, made it level side to side, then took measurements to the floor for the leg lengths. screwed it together and set it down on the pad. Stacked various wood pieced under the nose strut castor nut to make it level fore and aft. Once I was satisfied with level, it was quite stable. Plumb-bobbed and snapped a C/L to work off of at the FW and the Tail cone. Took measurements off the C/L and snapped identical lines left and right to align the fairings.

Attachments

• IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 61
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 59
Stand

Here is a pic of the wood stand. I did add cross bracing to stabilize and sway. Basically just three 2 x 8 or 2 x 10 boards screwed together with a rubber pad on the top to protect the aluminum. I jacked it up with the HF jacks on the outboard ends of the spar, made it level side to side, then took measurements to the floor for the leg lengths. screwed it together and set it down on the pad. Stacked various wood pieced under the nose strut castor nut to make it level fore and aft. Once I was satisfied with level, it was quite stable. Plumb-bobbed and snapped a C/L to work off of at the FW and the Tail cone. Took measurements off the C/L and snapped identical lines left and right to align the fairings.

Perfect. Thanks.

Back