What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear carry through spar bolt edge distance ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
The Phlogiston spar has anodized doublers ( 2ea 1/8" ) riveted to the Z shaped rear spar at the fuselage carry through. The carry through is fabricated and installed per Vans print, ie, 1/8" above the floor skin and just below the hole for the elevator push rod. The rear spar is positioned so the incidence is correct ( 2.8" ) below the top of the main spar. The Plogiston spar sits high in the 1 1/2" tall carry through bars. The Vans print calls for .312 bolt to be 3/4" from the edges of the Phlogiston spar.
Therefore, to comply, the bolt will have less edge distance in the 1 1/2" tall carry through. I have studied every page in the plans three times. I don't see an edge distance called out. Can you help ?

It seems like most of the other models specify edge distance of 5/8" there (to the center of the hole). That would help you a little.

The edge distance dimension is shown on a drawing that is titled something like 'wing-fuselage connection' and also shows the forward tank attach bracket installation details. Sorry I don't have the drawings for the -4, just the -6 and the -8.

The edge distance in the fuselage carry-through plates should have the same minimum dimensions as the rear spar plate.

Last edited:
Mysterius facts

Thanks Steve. I recalled the 5/8 note in a print but cannot find it again.

Here is the dilemma. Vans Q&A websupport clearly specifies bend the wing to comply with 5/8 edge distance. If the incidence is not 5.8”, fix it by repositioning the HS incidence.

OK, not a pleasing concept BUT, a 1 1/2” carrythrough with .312 hole CANNOT yield .625 edge distance.
Both wings should has th same incidence. This not likely with equal edge distances, since you are starting short of metal to comply to start with.

Has anyone else addressed this problem ?

Last edited:
Edge distance

Hi Larry,
I have the -6 kit, same wing as the -4. Edge distance on dwg 46 indicates min 5/8" to center of bolt hole.
See att. pic of dwg.
And you know to use a reamer for final sizing? ;)
Paul.

Attachments

• 16395335833155232839278098164821.jpg
    16395335833155232839278098164821.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 161
Yes! Edge distance of a poor description of what you are looking for.. Edge distance isn’t the “meat” left over, but the center of the hole to the edge.

Back