What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeking DAR in Southeast Michigan

goatflieg

Well Known Member
Unfortunately the primary DAR in this area is no longer with us. I asked Vic Syracuse but he doesn't want to travel this far. Any other recommendations would be helpful.

Martin,
The FAA guy that gave me my repair certificate out of Detroit said he does inspections. I have his card at my hangar. He was great to work with on my repairman certificate. I will be back in town next week and I can get his card.

It is terrible what happened this past week. I never met the man but I have heard nothing but good things about him and how he was just a pleasure to know. Sad for all involved.

FSDO - FAA

I am not sure if we are bashful about going to the FAA but FSDO in the Columbus Ohio - Dayton area have been doing a great job with inspections and they even provide the repairman's certificate. Might want to call your FSDO office and inquire. (The price is also very reasonable ;))

I see that the East Michigan FSDO has Randal H. Drew listed as a DAR. Has anyone here had any experience with him?
(Never mind. Further research indicates he is not qualified as a Function 47 DAR, which is what I need.)

Last edited:
I also used the FSDO for my inspections and they were painless. The only real advantage of a DAR, IMHO, is if you are looking for a second set of eyes to inspect your work and identify issues. That is a valuable service, but many don't require it.

Larry

I see that the East Michigan FSDO has Randal H. Drew listed as a DAR. Has anyone here had any experience with him?
(Never mind. Further research indicates he is not qualified as a Function 47 DAR, which is what I need.)

Function code 47 is obsolete if you're looking for amateur-built aircraft. The current code to look for is 57 for amateur-built propeller-driven aircraft. If you're looking for ELSA, you want code 61.

Check your guy again and see if he has these codes.

Get someone familiar with your model

The only real advantage of a DAR, IMHO, is if you are looking for a second set of eyes to inspect your work and identify issues. That is a valuable service, but many don't require it.

Larry

Seriously, get a DAR familiar with your type of aircraft. Someone who knows where to look. I can't tell you how many times I've shown up and heard "I've had my A&P and IA and my buddies look at it and it is all good." I Heard that again this past summer on an RV-9. Almost those exact words. Then I discovered that the vertical stabilizer was only fastened with 2 bolts! Both of us were quite shocked, because there's no doubt it probably would have failed on the first flight with any amount of deflection and potentially a life would have been lost.

Those of you who just want a paperwork inspection are letting your egos get in the way. Airplanes are complicated projects, and if you can't find something, you haven't looked hard enough. I've licensed hundreds, and I think only 2 of them were flawless. Even mine aren't without faults--- Carol found things on more than one the night prior to the inspection. No pride here--- I'm glad she looked. Which BTW, was after the usual "buddy look" and even the designated A&P examiner on the field.

Vic

Seriously, get a DAR familiar with your type of aircraft. Someone who knows where to look.
Vic

I tried, Vic... I tried... :D
No worries... I think I've found someone near Cleveland that will work for me. I contacted Matthew Tomsheck of Expedited Airworthiness Services in Seville, OH and he got back to me. Lots of questions to be asked first, but I know he's available and willing to make the journey when I'm ready.

I tried, Vic... I tried... :D
No worries... I think I've found someone near Cleveland that will work for me. I contacted Matthew Tomsheck of Expedited Airworthiness Services in Seville, OH and he got back to me. Lots of questions to be asked first, but I know he's available and willing to make the journey when I'm ready.

Matt used to be the Manager of the Cleveland MIDO, until he retired a few years ago. I worked as a designee under Matt for years and he is a great guy.

Back