What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tires, best value

billnaz

Well Known Member
Its time to replace my mains. Any thoughts on the best value for 5-5.00 tires. I'd go for cheapest normally (tightwad),but my originals from vans didn't last very long. What's the best deal out there?

Thanks to all for the posts! excelent info!

Bill

Last edited:
That above list pretty well sums it up for me. After 2,170+ RV flying hours, the retreads do last the longest and cost less per landing. I have been using Wilkenson retreads the past two times. Last time they were $50 delivered. It is cheaper to have your CORE retread but by the time I send them my core, it would cost more than the one with their core.

http://wilkersonaircrafttires.com/

When I need to buy new, the Goodyear lasted the longest and had the lowest cost per landing of any new tire that I have tried. All main tires on an RV need to be rotated inside becomes outside 1/2 way through to get the most life out out of them.

The April 2008 Aviation Consumer lists the Goodyear as best on a cost vs. treadwear basis because they start with more tread. Desser's Monster retread had more tread to start with but a softer compound. The McCreary Air Hawk came in a close third with a harder rubber compound, followed by Michelin, which they thought was a great tire, but with too little tread depth. If you fly a lot, they recommend the Goodyears, but if not, the tires will rot before you wear them out.

Speculation: Is a soft rubber, with more traction a good thing? I think not, especially with a taildragger. Poor traction, allowing the plane to slip a little is a reason taildraggers like grass.

I have about 300 hours, probably a similar number of landings (or likely more), on retread Dessers. I haven't even rotated them in/out, and I would guess I'll go about another 150 hours before even needing to rotate them. The life on these will be easily 3x what I've gotten out of Van's and Michelin tires. Comparing cost per landing, the Desser retreads are only 15 to 20% of the cost of high end tires.

Only downside is that you may need to carve out the fairing openings a little to maintain clearance the same as before.

BUMP to the top,

Ok I read the consumer aviation review, it looks like the Desser Monster Retreads are good.

I like the idea of extra thread since some of the unimproved strips in South Africa / Africa has got a lot of thorns on them. The extra thickness is good and it looks from the review that their is not a weight penalty. Granted I might need to open the wheel fairings a bit.

QUESTION 1) I want to know has anyone got any bad experience with the retreaded monsters, before I commit my purchase?

QUESTION 2) Giving my need for additional thorn protection I see the following monsters are available. Is the 10 Ply Better, than the Premium 2 Grove, better than standard? What about the 2 'airstop' tubes.
1)500-5 10 PLY RU 500-5 10 PLY MONSTER RETREAD @ $64.95
2)500-5 6 PLY RTM 500-5 6 PLY MONSTER RETREAD @ $58.95
3)500-5 6 PLY RTO 500-5 6 PLY RETREAD "ELITE PREMIUM 2 GROOVE" @ $61.95
4)TU 500-5 ACL 500-5 "LEAKGUARD" BUTYL TUBE (TR-67 VALVE) @ $49.95
5)TU 500-5 MN 500-5 MICHELIN AIRSTOP TUBE (TR-67 VALVE) @ $59.95

South Africa is not around the corner you know, so i need to get it right...

Thank you in advance,
Rudi

Last edited:
Hi again Rudi....

....I've been running Desser re-caps on my Air Tractors for over ten years and I've always been satisfied, as have many of my Ag buddies. Can't speak for the 500 X 5's but Desser retreads seem to last longer than new ones.

They also come pre-balanced with a glued in weight and the usual red dot to align with the valve stem.

Regards,

Dessers are fine

Like Pierre, I have been very satisfied with the Desser Monster retreads on my 9A. I found that they are VERY STIFF, and require some break in before they feel stable on the rollout. After installation I had a very squirrley aircraft, and even noticed more difficulty taxiing the plane. I posted here about the issue, but got no response.
What I did was lower the air pressure to about 25 psi. At that pressure, the aircraft felt perfect when the wheels were planted. After a dozen landings or so, I increased the pressure to about 33 psi (I use Nitrogen) and all is well.
You will also most likely need to hog out the wheel opening in the spat to clear the ample treads.
After about 70 landings, there is little to no visible wear on the tires yet. I like the way they feel, and they don't seem to flat spot as bad. We will see how they do this winter. Mine have GY Flight Custom hulls, and were matched nicely from Desser.
Keep in mind, I burned up a pair of El Cheapos real quick. Totally my fault. Long taxis, high landing speeds, touch and go's, and spinning to park, and failure to rotate half way through, all contribute to the poor wear I got on my kit tires. Since then, I have settled into a more tire friendly style of flying, and I have learned how to land my plane better, and slower. I don't spin into a space, and watch my taxi habits.
I can't really compare the wear on the Dessers to the kit tires fairly, as they were not given the same treatment, but I will definitely use them from now on.

Regards,
Chris

I order a set of tires from Desser about every 350 hours or so - just get the 500x5 6-ply retreads (I don't remember the "Monster" name - is that a new marketing gimmick?). Been using them for close to 30 years on my airplanes - very happy with them from both a lifetime and cost viewpoint! For tubes, I go with the Michelins - they seem to hold air better than the others (at east the last time I used non-Michelins about three years ago).

Paul

I've now got more than 350 hours on my Desser retreads (like Paul, I don't remember that gimmicky name "Monster"), and will probably have to rotate them this winter during cond. inspection. I expect to get around 600 hours on them total. Around twice the hours per tire for less than half the cost per tire. Not many deals like that out there.

Hate to rain on your "tightwade" parade but don't forget you are supposed to change the tubes. :eek:

Straight off the Dresser site:
A new tube should be used when installing a new tire. Tubes grow in service, taking a permanent set of about 25% larger than the original size. This makes a used tube too large to use in a new tire, which could cause a wrinkle and lead to tube failure. Source: Goodyear Tire Care & Maintenance Guide 09/98

Hey guys, just letting you know that we Desser tire are now a sponsor on this forum! We now have a web site dedicated to Vans Aircraft's. Check it out here: http://www.vansaircrafttires.com For those of you who are using our products, thanks for the support, and please visit the site and signup for our news letter for exclusive discounts available only to our subscribers. If you have any questions or concerns about our products, feel free to PM me anytime, my name is Carlo.

Still Going...

Update: I now have 545 landings on the Desser retreads, and it appears that I will get something like 150 to 200 more landings before they need replacing! Around 90 to 95% of my landings are on pavement. Fantastic product.

Hate to rain on your "tightwade" parade but don't forget you are supposed to change the tubes. :eek:

A new tube should be used when installing a new tire. Tubes grow in service, taking a permanent set of about 25% larger than the original size. This makes a used tube too large to use in a new tire, which could cause a wrinkle and lead to tube failure. Source: Goodyear Tire Care & Maintenance Guide 09/98

Key word, "could". I have always reused the tubes and have never had a problem. You do need to take care, as with a new tube, not to pinch it between halves.

So is a new tire 25% smaller than a used tire?

Take a used tube and inflate it just enough to bring it to shape. Measure the OD of the tube and the ID of the new tire.

If a close inspection of the condition of the tube passes, i would continue to use the tube. I do run my mains at 40-45#.

Tires

Wilkerson retreads and change the tubes when putting on new tires. The Wilkerson’s never seem to wear out and I’ve had the same pair on for 3 years now. I did rotate them once but they sure last. They may have different pricing now but I seem to remember just under $100 for two tires shipped.

Back