What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maybe a Covid-19 Medical Extension..?

bkc3921

Well Known Member
Well..someone has to say it. My medical is up at the end of April, and I'm doing my best to avoid any Doctor's Offices/Hospitals/Clinics for obvious reasons...Does anyone think it would be a good idea for the FAA to temporarily extend expiring medicals for 60 days or so as not to overload the system, take up medical professional's time, and possibly expose people who are otherwise healthy..? Should EAA, perhaps, think about requesting this on behalf of pilots..?

Maybe next time...?

Basic med Did my two year basic med update online no problem that?s the Way to go

Well, maybe so..but if you HAVEN'T used it in the past, you still must have an exam by a Physician the first time, so it doesn't help people who are expiring now and have used an AME ( the regular way) previously.........at least, that is the way I understand it....

Well, maybe so..but if you HAVEN'T used it in the past, you still must have an exam by a Physician the first time, so it doesn't help people who are expiring now and have used an AME ( the regular way) previously.........at least, that is the way I understand it....

That's exactly how my AME explained it to me yesterday. I asked him his thoughts on BM.

Both

It does not help your current situation but there is something else to consider. I fly with a FAA Class 1 medical as required for my job. Last year I had my doc do the exam for the Basic Med (after I did the paperwork) at the same visit. You can have a valid Basic Med along with another FAA medical. The situation may be narrow but if I were to develop a problem disqualifying me from my Class 1 but was not disqualifying for Basic Med, I would only have to stop flying the big planes. I would still get to fly the (much more fun) RV!

Well..someone has to say it. My medical is up at the end of April, and I'm doing my best to avoid any Doctor's Offices/Hospitals/Clinics for obvious reasons...Does anyone think it would be a good idea for the FAA to temporarily extend expiring medicals for 60 days or so as not to overload the system, take up medical professional's time, and possibly expose people who are otherwise healthy..? Should EAA, perhaps, think about requesting this on behalf of pilots..?
Either let it expire, don't go.

-GO-

Don't touch your face, wash hands often, keep distance from others as you can; When you get home wash clothes, take a shower and wipe things down with bleach solution.

If you are under 60 in good health COVID19 has a mortality rate (TBD) that is very low (likely sub sub 1%) and very survivable. Most infected have mild symptoms for a few days or even asymptomatic, never really sure they had it (unless tested).

Not saying your concerns are not warranted but risks are pretty low depending on your area. Sparsely populated areas of course have less infections than densely populated areas. We will know more in another week if we peak and new cases and deaths level off.

Disclaimer: I am not a MD but I saw one on TV. :D Seriously if you have any immunity or respiratory issues you are at higher risk of complications. COVID19 causes in some people massive inflammation in lungs which leads to organ failure. Some people are more prone to this than others. As you age your immunity system declines. Average age of people who died in Italy as of early March from COVID19 in one study was 81 and all had one or more existing underlying medical issue. Use your best judgement and hygiene.

Last edited:
Either let it expire, don't go.

-GO-

Don't touch your face, wash hands often, keep distance from others as you can; When you get home wash clothes, take a shower and wipe things down with bleach solution.

If you are under 60 in good health COVID19 has a mortality rate (TBD) that is very low (likely sub sub 1%) and very survivable. Most infected have mild symptoms for a few days or even asymptomatic, never really sure they had it (unless tested).

Not saying your concerns are not warranted but risks are pretty low depending on your area. Sparsely populated areas of course have less infections than densely populated areas. We will know more in another week if we peak and new cases and deaths level off.

Disclaimer: I am not a MD but I saw one on TV. :D Seriously if you have any immunity or respiratory issues you are at higher risk of complications. COVID19 causes in some people massive inflammation in lungs which leads to organ failure. Some people are more prone to this than others. As you age your immunity system declines. Average age of people who died in Italy as of early March from COVID19 in one study was 81 and all had one or more existing underlying medical issue. Use your best judgement and hygiene.

I think you may have misunderstood the flavor of the question..It's not JUST about me possibly contracting it...its about taking up a Doctor's time just to be routinely legal for a few months...but back to me...Yes, I am aware that the risk is very low if a person is healthy(by the way, I'm 64)...but as pilots, isn't planning for things where the risk is low our very bread and butter...??? I can go to my almost abandoned airport and fly without coming near a living person...but I NEED my medical to be current to be legal.... Not legal=no valid insurance...and that is the real risk I certainly don't want to take.... !

Last edited:
I think you may have misunderstood the flavor of the question..It's not JUST about me possibly contracting it...its about taking up a Doctor's time just to be routinely legal for a few months...but back to me...Yes, I am aware that the risk is very low if a person is healthy(by the way, I'm 64)...but as pilots, isn't planning for things where the risk is low our very bread and butter...??? I can go to my almost abandoned airport and fly without coming near a living person...but I NEED my medical to be current to be legal.... Not legal=no valid insurance...and that is the real risk I certainly don't want to take.... !

MD Here, though not an AME yet. Don't worry about taking up our time. If we need to prioritize some other activity, we will. Most docs are not critical care/pulmonologists/hospitalists. The bulk of AMEs do occupational exams as their main gig, so the opportunity cost here is not likely to be a COVID-related item.

Personally, I've seen a frank drop in patient volumes in mental health, and would love to schedule in some quick occupational exams.

Time keeps on ticking. Excessive restrictions are not going to be sustainable for an extended period. Minor inconveniences with high yield, like suspending concerts, make a lot of sense. Ceasing function for limiting a one-on-one encounter is a low-yield proposition.

9-AMC-AME-SEM-REGISTRATION (FAA) <[email protected]>
Fri, Mar 20, 2:35 PM (20 hours ago)
[​IMG]
[​IMG]

[​IMG]
Dear AME,

In light of the ongoing COVID-19 efforts, we appreciate the challenges AMEs are facing in the current practice environment. At this time, airmen medical certification procedures have not changed. All airman medical certification examinations must be performed face-to-face on the schedule specified in 14 CFR part 61.23. We are exploring contingency options during this National Emergency.

In the interim, we highly encourage AMEs to follow CDC and local public health guidance. To the greatest extent possible, please try to separate well airmen from ill patients either by space or time.

There is erroneous information that the FAA has directed airmen flying international routes not to see their AME or complete an airman medical exam. This is simply not true. Airmen who have followed FAA guidance for international flight crews (to include sanitized crew quarters and limited overseas social contact) are at low risk for COVID-19 and should proceed with their

If'n I were you, I wouldn't get my medical advice from a homebuilder's forum

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

In your age group, the death rate is:
60-69 years old 3.6%

Dunno about you, but I wouldn't take those odds. That's about a 1 in 25 chance of dying.

YMMV, of course. :)

current medicals valid until Aug. 1, 2020.

https://copanational.org/en/2020/03/19/medical-renewals-suspended/

I'm guessing there will be another extension, as the backlog of expired licenses will be tough to push thru the limited number of Av. Medical docs.

I'm happy, as mine expires in a few weeks!

Mine expires end of May, which is (currently) the cutoff. Gives me an extra 2 months anyway. Good thing; renewal is always a bit of a crapshoot for me these days!

Back