What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Filter

Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi All
Is there a NAPA equivalent a AA48110-2 filter?
I just change the oil in my -4 and i was dumbstruck by the price of my filter.
If there is a better place to by filters please let me know.

Good question Dayton. I have been using Kelley filters now for years. they were bought by Hartzell, and I have ordered those through ACS since that time. A month or so back, I ordered a few to have in stock and they were back-ordered. Got a call yesterday from ACS saying that the Hartzell filters have been discontinued, and they were sending me Tempests instead, if I approved.

So it looks like the Kelley/Hartzell option (cheaper that Champions) is gone.

Napa Gold 1515's work great. Just remove the nipple off of a champion filter by double-nutting it with two 3/4-16 thin nuts. Screw one end into the filter adapter with red loctite and it will stay put.

I normally shorten one end of the nipple on my lathe so that only the length of threads to get 100% engagement are used. Helps cut down on the mess by allowing the filter to spin off quickly.

Several friends and I have been using this particular filter for years with no problems.

And no I don't safety wire them. (choke..gasp!) Because if they're loose enough to rotate, they're already going to be spraying oil all over the place.

Also we've done the research on burst pressures, bypass pressures, etc., all are well within normal Lycoming operating conditions.

Last edited:
THIS IS NOT a recommendation, but a FYI............

Napa Gold 1068 have been used by some people on this site with success. A hose clamp is used on the filter to safety wire it. You will also need a fitting because the filter is female. Also, look at K&N 1002.

Do your research and see if the risk is worth the value.

1068 is just a shorter version of the 1515. Much more filter area on the 1515. I used to use the 1068's, they work fine as well.

Is there an equivalent for the 109 filters? My Air Wolf remote filter uses a 109.
Thanks

K&N HP-1002 filter

Is there an equivalent for the 109 filters? My Air Wolf remote filter uses a 109.
Thanks

Kahuna, I have saved in my notes from this site that several folks have reported using K&N HP-1002 filter.. I think they are around $12 on amazon..

THIS IS NOT a recommendation, but a FYI............

Napa Gold 1068 have been used by some people on this site with success. A hose clamp is used on the filter to safety wire it. You will also need a fitting because the filter is female. Also, look at K&N 1002.

Do your research and see if the risk is worth the value.

Hose clamp? thats a great idea.

cleanable

I have a reusable / cleanable filter. It cost $200 but it will last forever?
Not sure of the brand name. I would have to un-cowl to see it.

K&N

Kahuna, I have saved in my notes from this site that several folks have reported using K&N HP-1002 filter.. I think they are around $12 on amazon..

I was using the K&N 1002 for a while, first 2 filters I ran on the overhauled engine. Casper labs recommended it me, but after cutting it open I was a little underwhelmed. There is not much filter media inside, and it is held in place with a blade spring instead of a coil. Much like the difference between the Champion and Tempest. Probably just fine and less than half the cost, but I'm using Tempest now.

Tim
Dues paid.

For those with 109 filters

I found the NAPA equiv for those of us with CH48109-1 Champion Oil filters.
From NAPA, the pro select SFI 21191 ~$5.50 will fit. SPecs are:
Part Number: 21191
UPC Number: 765809195868
Principal Application: Audi (95-06), Volkswagen (77-00, 05)
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.178
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 30
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 345
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21
Gasket Diameters
O.D. I.D. Thk.
2.834 2.462 0.200

The NAPA Gold version part number is 1191 ~$7.00 and is a 25 micron.
FWIW, the Champion 109 is said to be a 40 micron filter which I found with some sleuthing but could not find a rated flow rate or any specs. Im sure they must be somewhere.
Great news for me is my local NAPA store is having their 'customer appreciation week' next week. 40% off. Sweet! Got a case. Yahoo!!!
Just doing a little math. I fly 300 hours a year. Thats 6 filters a year at a normally $135.00. With the NAPA gold thats $25.27 a year. A savings of ~$110.00 and I get to support my local NAPA in the process. Good deal.

Last edited:
Kahuna the 1515 is physically the same as the 1191 but the bypass spring is different. The bypass pressure of the 1191 is 30psi, 1515 is 8-11psi. The Champion 48109 bypass is 8-10psi. So the 1515 is a closer match to the 48109. Not sure what effects the higher bypass pressure would have on the filter in a Lycoming started cold.

Great videos. I learned some more useless stuff:D
I still have not seen a flow rate spec on the Champion or Tempest. This would be a good thing to know. Lower microns of the NAPA gold are good, but only if the flow rates are comparable.
Great thread.

Napa gold filter

I recently had a napa gold filter fail. Fortunately it was in my boat, the seam where the bottom joins the side failed. It dumped about four quarts of oil in a few minutes. My airplane engine is worth about 18K, I'll spend the extra 15.00 just for the peace of mind.

Mike

FWIW, typical oil pressures in an automotive engine is about half the Lyc. pressure

I recently had a napa gold filter fail. Fortunately it was in my boat, the seam where the bottom joins the side failed. It dumped about four quarts of oil in a few minutes. My airplane engine is worth about 18K, I'll spend the extra 15.00 just for the peace of mind.

Mike

What kind of bypass valve does your boat engine have? Not only is there one in the 1515 there is another one in the filter adapter so this is highly unlikely to ever occur in a Lycoming.

The filter on a Lycoming is mounted on the centerline because in operation that is the spot that gets the least amount of torsional vibration. On boats they're mounted for ease of access which might not be the best place for vibration stresses.

It was a defective oil filter, the seam between the base and the side were not put together correctly, I agree the odds of this happening are very slim, in fact this is the only time I have ever had a oil filter fail. And if I had really inspected the oil filter I could have probably seen the defect. So if you use the napa filter or any filter for that matter, make sure you look it over, it can happen.
This happened while winterizing my engine. I noticed the oil pressure wasn't coming up so I shut it down. What a mess.

Mike

I wonder how the internals of the NAPA filter compare with the Champion and the Tempest filters, as shown in this video from Aviation Consumer:

I used to be quite religious about only using Champion oil filters on my Lyc engines, but with the economy hitting my wallet even more lately and after seeing this video, I feel much more comfortable about the Tempest filter I just ordered earlier this week for my next upcoming oil change. Champions have just gotten too expensive and while a $5 savings doesn't sound like much, every little bit adds up.

What kind of bypass valve does your boat engine have? Not only is there one in the 1515 there is another one in the filter adapter so this is highly unlikely to ever occur in a Lycoming.

The filter on a Lycoming is mounted on the centerline because in operation that is the spot that gets the least amount of torsional vibration. On boats they're mounted for ease of access which might not be the best place for vibration stresses.

Not with dual-mag engines. The filter on those is where the RH mag would have been.

Oil filters and oil pressure

Comparing operating oil pressure between car engines, boat engines and Lycoming and Continental engines is like comparing apples and oranges. One needs to know where in the oil gallies the pressure is measured. In a Lycoming the pressure is measured just before the relief valve at the start of the main oil galley. In the small Continental engines the pressure is taken at the very end of the gallies and this is also where the relief valve is located. Hence the difference in an 80 PSI Lycoming operating pressure and a 35 PSI Continental. .............. Both of these design features have merit, but the result is that the mid galley pressure is probably very similar in a newer engine. In an engine that is worn, and the oil gap in the main and rod bearings is near limits, it would be a different story.

The cost of filters is outrageous now. $26 each for Tempest.

Any more reports on NAPA GOLD 1515?

I've been using them with no issues for the last 4-5 yrs (500 hrs?) on my 200 hp angle valve IO-360.

NAPA 1068 user for many years now on the Rocket and RV-8. Buy by the case during a sale and have several years supply readily at hand. Last sale price came to about $3.50 per filter.

The cost of filters is outrageous now. $26 each for Tempest.

Any more reports on NAPA GOLD 1515?

Not only cost outrageous but lead time as well. I ordered a couple of Champion CH48109 filters from Aircraft Spruce 45 days ago and they are still on back order. Good thing I have several still left and these where just to restock my supply.
What will be interesting to see what they charge me as when ordered in early Sept the price was $30.95. Now they are listed at $33.50.

Hi All
Is there a NAPA equivalent a AA48110-2 filter?
I just change the oil in my -4 and i was dumbstruck by the price of my filter.
If there is a better place to by filters please let me know.

Here is your answer.....pay only once!

Attachments

• IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 249
I've been running WIX 51258 / Napa Gold 1258 which matches Champion CH48103 for a couple years. Through visual inspection and oil analysis, anecdotally, seems to be doing its job.

NAPA 1068 user for many years now on the Rocket and RV-8. Buy by the case during a sale and have several years supply readily at hand. Last sale price came to about $3.50 per filter.

What is the difference between the 1515 and 1068??

Not only cost outrageous but lead time as well. I ordered a couple of Champion CH48109 filters from Aircraft Spruce 45 days ago and they are still on back order. Good thing I have several still left and these where just to restock my supply.
What will be interesting to see what they charge me as when ordered in early Sept the price was $30.95. Now they are listed at $33.50.

They may need to change their name to Champion GOLD......:eek:

Last edited:
What is the difference between the 1515 and 1068??
They’re the same basic filter, but the 1515 is longer by an inch or two. I’ve been using the 1068 on my -8 for years, no issues and plenty of clearance from the firewall. If you use a 1515 on a -7, methinks you might have clearance issues.

I guess you can buy replacements so you always have a clean one on hand. I assume they are easy to clean in a parts washer or ultrasonic cleaning vat?

Q: Regarding Challenger FAA-PMA Oil Filter, how often (generally) must the element be changed?
Per vendor: It generally needs to be changed every 1250 hours or 5 years of engine operation. Whichever comes first.

Seal gasket $5.95. recommended at each oil change.

Q: Regarding Challenger FAA-PMA Oil Filter, how often (generally) must the element be changed?
Per vendor: It generally needs to be changed every 1250 hours or 5 years of engine operation. Whichever comes first..

That sure is not lifetime. If it was my RV would be nearing end of life in hours (I hope not) and 3rd lifetime in years.

I understand K & P Engineering is the manufacture of the Challenger Oil Filter, K & P has no mention of changing the filter element and states the quad ring (Seal Gasket) can be used for several years of changes.

I know of ONE engine seizure and crash due to use of auto filter. They found filter paper in the oil galleys. that stopped the oil flow.

Interesting. Auto filters are made exactly like airplane filters and likely by the same folks. I use a K&N HP-1002 on the Lycoming IO-360-EXP and the O-320 before that and the AEIO-320 before that. They seem to work fine. Cut every one. It was recommended by the guy who makes the Casper oil filter adapter.

I know of ONE engine seizure and crash due to use of auto filter. They found filter paper in the oil galleys. that stopped the oil flow.

What filter brand was it? Auto filters are not created equal. Frams are have very poor construction relative to a Wix or K&N which are similar to Champion/Tempest

I was a huge fan of K&N HP-2004, shortish filter, but fit nicely, beefy, safety wire tabs, supposedly off the Casper labs production line.

Then, made in Mexico, now a made in Korea product and thinner-walled.

The Wix 51068 looks fine, still, can says made in USA but packaging says made in China.

Back to the Tempests....

Back