What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fast RV-10

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
Many moons ago, I stumbled across a thread where a forum member did a substantial amount of under-cowl and airframe cleanup and had a significantly faster/more efficient airplane than stock.

But I can't find the thread for the life of me.

Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Vne has nothing to do with the engine and cowl. If you build something that can "go significantly faster than stock" aren't you running the risk of flutter / structural failure / littering roofs with airplane parts?

My understanding is that a stock RV-10 can achieve Vne probably in level flight, definitely in a dive. Why would you want to "go significantly faster than" that?

Give your plane more power for takeoffs, climb, etc, sure. But increase top speed? You better modify a lot more than just the engine.

maybe not a stock -10

A stock -10 probably wont get to those numbers but I can tell you that I typically cruise at about 172-174 KTAS and 200 KTAS can be easily reached in a descent...

Running a 290 hp Barrett EFII engine with CAI...

And that illustrates why reducing drag is more effective than adding ponies, just in case the math isn't convincing enough.
Normal cruise on my RV-10, 173kts TAS, stock 260hp Lycoming D4A5. (see attachment)
Just because you can doesn't mean you have to bust Vne in a descent, anticipate the speed buildup in a descent and power back.

Also be mindful of Vno (yellow arc) in the descent when necessary. (156kts indicated for the -10).

Btw, you don't necessarily have to go fast, reducing drag can save you a bunch of fuel.

Attachments

• IMG_3914.jpg
    IMG_3914.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 233
And that illustrates why reducing drag is more effective than adding ponies, just in case the math isn't convincing enough.
Normal cruise on my RV-10, 173kts TAS, stock 260hp Lycoming D4A5. (see attachment)
Just because you can doesn't mean you have to bust Vne in a descent, anticipate the speed buildup in a descent and power back.

Also be mindful of Vno (yellow arc) in the descent when necessary. (156kts indicated for the -10).

Btw, you don't necessarily have to go fast, reducing drag can save you a bunch of fuel.

Do you have a reference of some of the drag reduction mods you have done on your -10? This is pertinent to my interests :)

Do you have a reference of some of the drag reduction mods you have done on your -10? This is pertinent to my interests :)

Haven't done any yet, just planning to. Not exactly stock RV-10 though, it has a James cowl and orange peely paint :D
All out at 8500ft it does 178kts. Minus about 0.6kts for static port error at that speed.

Lenny

Haven't done any yet, just planning to. Not exactly stock RV-10 though, it has a James cowl and orange peely paint :D
All out at 8500ft it does 178kts. Minus about 0.6kts for static port error at that speed.

Lenny

You also need to account for the difference in props…:rolleyes:

Back