What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any pireps on the Beringer anti-groundloop tailwheel?

pa38112

Well Known Member
I have been looking at the Beringer anti-groundloop tailwheel, but can not find any information from someone who has tried it. The theroy of operation seems very sound: if the tailwheel cant break-out or over-steer then the tail can't go around...

Last edited:
Yeah, it can. Don't be kidded. In a ground loop, there's a lot of skidding and so on going on. Tires lift off the ground sometimes.

But a locking tailwheel has a history of some success there.

Dave

Don’t assume a name like “anti groundlooping tailwheel” can compensate for lack of training and skill. A locking tailwheel may help somewhat if you have the tail firmly held down, but like the previous poster said, often the tailwheel isn’t even on the ground when a groundloop starts. That tailwheel looks too ugly to go on my plane.. I am enjoying the JD Air with lightweight wheel and stock double chains on my ride now and it’s great.

Designed for airplanes with a MTOW up to 1650 pounds. Rules out -7s, -8s, -9s, and -14s. And it's not light!

i-XB2CD5z-L.jpg

Last edited:
Designed for airplanes with a MTOW up to 1650 pounds. Rules out -7s, -8s, -9s, and -14s. And it's not light!

i-XB2CD5z-L.jpg

-7, -8, and -9s have a gross weight of 1600, don’t they? Unless the builder sets it higher..

Original OEM Vans non-swiveling TW

I have the good old original Vans "non-swiveling" TW on my RV-4 that has no break-out, and though it can swivel all the way around, it cant without wrecking some things. To me, its the best handling TW I've ever flown..always positive control and no fear of break-out, but you can't push the plane backwards (only pitfall). As others mentioned, it doesn't matter what's back there if you get past the point of no return...your just hanging on until it comes to a stop.

This video says they have 2 sizes so if you have a heavier plane then you use the bigger tire too. It mentions the bigger system has a tire the size between the Baby Bushwheel and a standard tire. They also mention that their system weighs the same as a Scott tailwheel system, so its not that heavy then, just looks heavy maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tetEQ70ywA

Last edited:
anti groundlooping tailwheel

I can't speak for all RV tailwheel pilots but for me, I say that ground looping an RV is something a pilot would have to work at.

My experience with traditional tailwheel aircraft compared to the RV9 has shown me it behaves very very nicely slowing down from a wheel landing.

Where other aircraft like the champs, birddogs, cubs, cessna 120/140s might spin at the least amount of rudder in-attention or sharp crosswind, the RV continues to track nicely where it was going. Prior to completing and flying my RV9 I worried a great deal about the dreaded ground loop. All the worrying was misplaced, I've had no problems with ground loops in the RV.

So my advice to anyone building or looking to buy an RV9 or RV7 etc.; they should get some time in one before worrying too much, or at least visit and talk to a tailwheel RV pilot/owner.

If your RV is oscillating side to side after touchdown, the source of the oscillation is likely the pilot. Just momentarily stop moving your feet and the oscillation will usually stop right away. Small movements...small movements. Unless you get hit by a strong crosswind gust, at which time you need to apply as much rudder and maybe some differential braking as necessary to keep it straight.

It's easy to overthink this.

I'm using a rocket-link on the tailwheel which removes most of the steering hysteresis. I really like it.

Last edited:
I can't speak for all RV tailwheel pilots but for me, I say that ground looping an RV is something a pilot would have to work at.

My experience with traditional tailwheel aircraft compared to the RV9 has shown me it behaves very very nicely slowing down from a wheel landing.

Where other aircraft like the champs, birddogs, cubs, cessna 120/140s might spin at the least amount of rudder in-attention or sharp crosswind, the RV continues to track nicely where it was going. Prior to completing and flying my RV9 I worried a great deal about the dreaded ground loop. All the worrying was misplaced, I've had no problems with ground loops in the RV.

So my advice to anyone building or looking to buy an RV9 or RV7 etc.; they should get some time in one before worrying too much, or at least visit and talk to a tailwheel RV pilot/owner.

i'd like to second that. i also worried about ground loops in the 7 but i now have the impression that it's kinda hard to loop her. the other day i did some taxi tests at lower speeds at my home airport at night with no traffic.

you really have to work at it to get the tail around. but when she does your basically demoted to luggage. :)

i believe a 6/7/9/14 behaves more docile in that regard due to their relative wide wheelbase. so before you think about installing such aftermarket products, get a feel for your aircraft. before you try to solve a problem that doesn't really exists.

First you can ground loop a C152 if you try hard enough or that incompetent to not know how to use Side Slip, Cross Control, aileron into wind to maintain directional control.

I take it this is a LOCKING tailwheel. NOT NEW... many conventional gear planes (tail dragger), espcially big ones, like DC3 or T6 have locking tail wheel. HOWEVER you still have to have speed control and use rudder and ailerons to maintain directional control (aircraft longitudinal axis aligned with runway with no drift) at touchdown and throughout landing roll. Brake dragging is a technique is really strong winds as well, but usually not needed.

No amount of locking tail wheel will make it a land-O-matic or as docile as a Tri-gear or nose dragger, due to CG location relative to main gear.

Weathervane will still be an issue. Also if tail wheel is not PLANTED it has little friction or grip the plane can auto-rotate into the wind and ground loop in srrong winds.

With that said RV's are one of the most docile tail draggers I have flown. RV's land like a slightly heaver faster J3 Cub. Every tail dragger has their quarks and personality. RV's are like a sweet puppy but can nip you if you are careless while playing with the pup, verses some tail draggers that are like a hungry Rottweiler and you have a pork chop tied around you neck. No tail dragger takes super human skill, but some have issues like small rudders or blanking of rudder and reduced authority of rudder in 3 point. Also poor visibility on approach in three point stance on ground is a feature of some TG's (but not the RV's). This adds a level of challenge. Short couple (distance from main to tail wheel) and narrow gear width makes some TG's less forgiving. Again not really an issue with RV's.

Last edited:
Back