What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Flaps power requirements

dvalle

Well Known Member
Working on a RV6A and trying to understand the electric flap power requirements? Anyone have some input?

Thanks
Dan

Thanks, I could not find anything doing searches. I'm confused as the previous owner has it running of a 2A breaker. I was certain it was too low. Now I wonder what is going on since 2A should pop every time. Since he passed away I cannot find out so will have to do some more homework now. Thanks again.

Dan

The CB should be sized to protect the motor and the wiring. The wiring should be sized for voltage drop at the nominal (non charging) output voltage at the max flap lowering airspeed (motor load) current draw. Typical wiring size would be 20 AWG for a typical run length, and CB sizing of 5-7amps. If you have too large a voltage drop under load the motor will stall, draw higher current and pop the breaker. Could possibly get away with a 2A CB but increases the risk of CB pop on approach to land with initial flap deployment.

KT

Last edited:
Flap Circuit Breaker

2 amp is fine. I use 5 amp and #20 wire.

The flap motor will run on a 9v battery with no load.

Carl

Yes, it will run on a 9 volt battery in the shop. But it WILL pop the breaker the first time you fly the plane. You need at least at 7 AMP breaker or fuse to run the flaps. Ask me how I know!

Back