What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior Cold Air Sump

Steve N.

Well Known Member
I'm ordering a Superior IO-360 with the Superior Cold Air Sump. Have there been any issues with fitting the cold air sump and exhaust on the RV-8?

Thanks

I’ve got a 4 pipe Vetterman exhaust with a Superior cold air sump and forward facing fuel injection servo - no problem.

Call Clint

I spoke to Clint at Vetterman today about my rv-8…IO-370. First thing he asked was “Does it have a Superior Cold air sump?” Yep. He says the stock Van’s pipes are iffy, but he knows exactly what I need. I’m Glad I called, and recommend the same. Also, leads are not long by cOVID standards, but not short either.

Thanks for the replies...

everyone. My engine with BPE will be ordered today. I'm told the lead time is currently 10 months.

It might depend on which exhaust you have or plan to install - I have the vetterman "crossover" and the cold air sump, and it works great.

http://www.rv8.ch/vetterman-exhaust-and-airflow-performance-fm-200/

The vetterman crossover exhaust that came with the Vans FF kit that is compatible with the IO-360-M1B engine with horizontal induction. Everything fitted together very well. I don't know if the Vans FF kit will allow you to swap out the crossover design with the vetterman trombone design. You have to ask Vans

I've been very happy with the AWI 4-into-1 exhaust (RV-8/IO-375 with superior cold air sump).
-Greg

I also have a Superior cold air sump and a trombone exhaust from Clint. It fits perfectly, the only thing I had to fabricate was a new bracket to attach the throttle cable on the sump and I think I needed a different throttle cable length.

Cheers Yves

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-22 at 08.03.01.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-22 at 08.03.01.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 270
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-03-22 at 08.02.59.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-22 at 08.02.59.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 252
I also had to work a solution for the throttle cable.
After fiddling with different home-made contraptions, I finally used Showplane's bracket that needed some trim to fit around the muffler.
I used washers to get a better cable/throttle linkage angle.
I used the standard RV-8 throttle cable lenght.

Attachments

• IMG_6223.jpg
    IMG_6223.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_6224.jpg
    IMG_6224.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6225.jpg
    IMG_6225.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 148
Wow! I'm impressed. Great pictures and a lot of help. Only problem...now I have to make another decision as to whether to go with the trombone or crossover pipes.

Thanks to all again.

Access door to fuel pump assembly

Hi Eric,

What is this mod on the F-851 forward lower skin?

Brian

Hi Brian,
It's an access door to the EFII dual fuel pump module's hardware holding it from under the floor.
(Since, the plumbing was changed and a filter was added)

I put rubber washers to lessen possible vibrations (don't know if necessary).
AN4 bolts from below, they are since safety wired between them.

It's not something I'd do again.
The fuel pump module can more easily be bolted down with platenuts under the floor and bolts from above.
I just didn't figure out the easy solution and went with a complicated one...
It still was a fun project to do an access door.

Attachments

• IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 89
I also have a Superior cold air sump and a trombone exhaust from Clint. It fits perfectly, the only thing I had to fabricate was a new bracket to attach the throttle cable on the sump and I think I needed a different throttle cable length.

Cheers Yves

I also have a Superior cold air sump and a trombone from Clint at Vetterman. A total work of art and I would recommend Clint to anyone looking for an exhaust.

I noticed in your picture that you have what looks to be chrome tips at the end of your exhaust. Is that for aesthetics or turn down exhaust into airstream?

An easy to do quick stainless steel exhaust clean up tip:
Here is what I did to my exhaust to make it look nicer. I took the exhaust to the deburring wheel and it polished up to a shine that looks almost like chrome. This took only 25 minutes total. I just hope it stays this nice and shiny.

Attachments

• IMG_20211127_132105167.jpg
    IMG_20211127_132105167.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 83
Hi Brian,
It's an access door to the EFII dual fuel pump module's hardware holding it from under the floor.
(Since, the plumbing was changed and a filter was added)

I put rubber washers to lessen possible vibrations (don't know if necessary).
AN4 bolts from below, they are since safety wired between them.

It's not something I'd do again.
The fuel pump module can more easily be bolted down with platenuts under the floor and bolts from above.
I just didn't figure out the easy solution and went with a complicated one...
It still was a fun project to do an access door.

Nice work Eric and thanks for quenching my curiosity! Beautiful exuahst system.

Back