What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pro Tow Tug. ??

Redbud40

Well Known Member
I was gifted this PROTOW tug. I think it may be a 35 ?? Any one know this model and if so any IDs or suggestions on some TLC for the shifting rod. Very difficult to move lever from F - N - R. Thought I’d ask the experts b4 I start turning bolts and create a big mess on hangar floor.
Red.

Attachments

• 0A4DA77E-D41E-4D7E-8BCD-E372877AA6FB.jpg
    0A4DA77E-D41E-4D7E-8BCD-E372877AA6FB.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 124
That gear box was used on riding lawnmowers back in the 60’s and 70’s, spent many hours looking down at one as I was growing up.:)
If I recall correctly, the gear box did not have a port for oil, may have to split the case, clean it up, and service with fresh oil.

Can't comment on the gear box, but please note that the Tecumsa engine company is no longer in business and parts are unavailable for it. I bought the same tug at what I thought was a good price on Craig's List, but the engine won't run and parts are unavailable to fix it. So I wouldn't suggest you spend much on the gear box.

Ok thanks for heads up. Took it apart. This is what I found. A big mess of close to clay like old grease? Got it cleaned up. Any suggestions on what grease to use on reinstall ? Just whatever wheel bearing grease I have laying around?

Ps. I stumbled across a site .... Jacks small engines. Looks like everything for small lawn mower outdoor equipment. Did you try this site for your Tecumseh parts ???

Attachments

• 5E04C8D7-59AA-4866-AE94-842F2A02D97D.jpg
    5E04C8D7-59AA-4866-AE94-842F2A02D97D.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 117
  • B65CE661-BEBB-441C-92B6-7C898136A7C1.jpg
    B65CE661-BEBB-441C-92B6-7C898136A7C1.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 106
  • CD6AA0CF-BAC6-43E5-98CA-1B2FD0E37C05.jpg
    CD6AA0CF-BAC6-43E5-98CA-1B2FD0E37C05.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 114
somewhere on the case should be a model number/serial. you will need that for parts diagram. you might get lucky and find some parts available. still some NOS but getting slimmer.

I was gifted this PROTOW tug. I think it may be a 35 ?? Any one know this model and if so any IDs or suggestions on some TLC for the shifting rod. Very difficult to move lever from F - N - R. Thought I’d ask the experts b4 I start turning bolts and create a big mess on hangar floor.
Red.

That sure looks like a Power tow:
https://www.powertow.com/40-EZ-Aircraft-Tug_p_14.html

I think the gear box is the same and yes, they are grease packed. You can find info on the website or give them a call. I have the 40EZ and I'll take a look for the manual.

-Marc

Thanks for the tip on Jack's Small Engines website. I wasn't able to find that when I was looking a few years ago. Might even make it possible for me to get the tug running.

If anyone is interested in an old PowerTow 40EZ tug with a non-running engine and leaking fuel tank for a good price, please let me know. Tug is located in Sugar Land, TX (KSGR) and would need to be picked up.

Ok thanks for heads up. Took it apart. This is what I found. A big mess of close to clay like old grease? Got it cleaned up. Any suggestions on what grease to use on reinstall ? Just whatever wheel bearing grease I have laying around?

Powertow uses a "GL2" grease for lube in the gearbox. Spoke with them today.

-Marc

Back