What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's my next RV

RV6junkie

I don't post often, and for that I'm sorry - I just haven't had a lot to contribute in the last few decades. I'm thinking that I want to build another RV, but I'm not sure of the direction I want to take. A little background is in order...

I started building my RV-6 in 1989 when I was just 26 years old. Four years later I made the first flight. The airplane was a significant expense to this young lad, so I picked up a partner just before the airplane was finished. That turned out to be a mistake. The partner was clumsy and careless - I often found damage on the aircraft. The straw that broke this camels back was the day I showed up to fly my plane and the G-Meter was pegged at 6+ G's. In 2001 I couldn't afford to buy the partner out, so I sold him my half. It was gut-wrenching, like selling a child, but it was the right thing to do at the time. I had a young family and I seemed to have less and less time to fly, and when I did find time to fly I was disgusted at what I'd find. Luckily I had access to a B33 that my company owned at the time, but after flying an RV for 500 hours - I just couldn't connect with that pig and in 2003 I decided I'd just stop flying.

It's been eating away at me for 20 years, so yesterday I went for a BFR - and to my surprise I remembered how to fly. I have a fresh endorsement in my logbook and a desire to get involved again. But flying the Cherokee 140 reminded me how uninteresting Piper/Cessna/Beech aircraft are. In the last 20 years I've thought about building another aircraft dozens - hundreds - of times but now it is something I can seriously consider again. And just like 30+ years ago when I decided to build an RV-6, it comes down to "what's your mission profile". Back then it was x-country/transportation, sportsman aerobatics and light IFR. Now, it may not be any of those with the exception of some x-country flights. My wife doesn't like to fly, and that limits the amount of travel I'd do in the airplane. I'd be flying mostly for my own enjoyment, taking friends for local flights. Travel would probably be limited to 100-200 mile trips to see family. But I'm just addicted to the control feel of an RV-6 (I also have quite a bit of time in the -4).

For the mission profile I've provided the RV-12 certainly makes sense. I also like the fact that the wings can be easily removed if winter storage at home is possible. My concerns with the -12 are its "total performance" and control feel. Also, I really enjoy aircraft with conventional gear. It's a skill-set that I'm proud of and I believe it makes me perform as a better pilot (like a manual transmission in a car).

I think the RV-9 is also an aircraft that meets the needs of my use case. While the control feel is just slightly less responsive than what I enjoyed in my -6, for the way I intend to use the aircraft the control feel just may be perfect.

Lastly, the natural successor to the -6 - the RV-7 - would certainly make me happy. But it seems to me I'd be heading down the "make it better-powerful-faster" rabbit hole. That project may turn out to be too expensive.

Another piece of info that may make this choice interesting. The gentleman who purchased my RV-6 from me, would like to give (not sell) it back to me. For the same reasons I sold it 20 years ago, I would not fly that aircraft today (I have not seen it since the day I sold it, but I'm told by friends that it's in rough condition). But I could scavenge it for parts. The engine is due for an o/h (O-320) but that is a better option then buying new or buying a core for o/h. I don't think I'd use the prop, but items such as the exhaust, autopilot (Navaid Devices), elevator trim, lighting, circuit breakers, switches...could be reused. I don't think the instruments are of any value (I'd go glass) nor are the Narco Avionics. The other option is I could bring the old girl home and re-build her - but that may be more work then starting from scratch. I wouldn't know until it was in pieces. I like the idea of building another, but dread fiberglass work and building another canopy....

Enough background. Have any of you other RV old timers built a second RV and did so because your original RV no longer met your needs, or it was just time to build another? If any of you built a -12 or -9, how do they fly compared to a -6? Can you help talk me into, or out of this endeavor?

Rebuild your old airplane!

The gentleman who purchased my RV-6 from me, would like to give (not sell) it back to me.

I don't know about you, but it sure seems like getting the airplane that YOU built back for free and bringing it back to life sure seems like the path I would take.

Since you're not doing anything but local, fun flying, and you love the way the RV-6 handles it seems like a no brainer to bring the airplane back to life as economically as possible (no glass panels!), and then enjoy the heck out of it.

But that's just me.

Enjoy the ride either way.

Laird
RV-6 1900 hrs

Since your mission hasn't expanded and your point of comparison is the -6, I can't imagine any course other than rebuilding your original -6 to whatever standard you desire. Unless your psyche dictates an all new plane, rebuilding (to any level) will be far less effort than a new build. There is nothing that cannot be accessed to inspect and repair/replace. Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

As with everything else, there are pluses and minuses.
I have rebuilt planes and built them from the kits and both are really satisfying, so that's not the issue.
Let's say you get your old plane back:
Free is hard to pass up.
It already has an airworthiness certificate.
You are the original builder.
VAN's still supports it.
You are already familiar with the original build and know how to do it.
Parts from VAN's are cheap, compared to a new kit.
You can make any changes you would have liked to do from the beginning.
Buy a new kit and you start over, but you will be able to get the latest and greatest from VAN's
My first RV was a 6 and I regretted selling it many times over the years. Built right and light, they are a joy to fly. The only RV with better flying qualities, in my opinion, is the RV-3.
Rebuilding can be a pain, but it has it's rewards. Bringing something back to life is really rewarding.
Unless you need something bigger and better, I'd seriously consider rebuilding the 6. You can put the RV7 tail on it, maybe increase the engine HP, etc.
Whatever you decide to do, you can't go wrong as long as you enjoy the journey.
Good luck.

I’ll be the dissenter here. I rebuilt a 6A and I can’t tell you how many times I said it would be easier to just start new. Undoing mistakes and replacing parts on a non-prepunched kit is not easy. I mean, who puts the fuel filler flanges on the OUTSIDE of the skins on a completely flush riveted wing? And I didn’t have to deal with any corrosion. By your description of the owner, I’ll bet there are a lot of surprises waiting. Don’t go back.
If you have the money and can wait(!), I’d go with a QB 7 built per the plans (or a 14) and never look back. New, clean, right, and yours.

Guess the primary question is: Do you wanna build (well, it’s called like this nowadays, iso assemble), or fly?
Plenty of good advice in the posts above... first have a go and pay the old girl a visit. You might get sentimental. Same happens when I look at the -4 I built in the 90s...

Also the -4 and -6 are the best handling 2 seater RVs :cool:

Parts is parts?

Enough background. Have any of you other RV old timers built a second RV and did so because your original RV no longer met your needs, or it was just time to build another? If any of you built a -12 or -9, how do they fly compared to a -6? Can you help talk me into, or out of this endeavor?

Gary,
Short answer, yes.
Longer answer, I too started my RV4 in 1989 (which makes us both officially Jurassic RV builders:) in my tool shed while stationed flying F16's in Japan completing it in 95.' I flew it nearly 1000 hours in 8 years before selling it to a Navy Fighter Pilot.
My second RV was a Harmon Rocket which I loved but like you "if the RV4 was alot of bang for the buck, The Rocket was alot more bang for ALOT more bucks." Not economically feasible.
After 9/11 I was activated and while on several deployments I decided to build another RV4, this time a Fastback, light weight, simple "Baby Rocket" if you will. I purchased a set of completed wings and empenage from a Missionary and later bolted them to a new RV6 fuselage. The wings I later found out were the third kit set sold by Van in 1978. While in Iraq, my friend Arvil began the process of modifying the wings and tail and when I returned we completed the airplane together. In 2005 The RV6"X" was born.

I'm still flying the "X" to this day and it's really the RV I didn't want but needed all along. It handles like my Four but with the sliding canopy and fast back plus SBS seating my wife enjoys riding with me.
Light, simple and fast plus I learned a few small design and utility improvement tricks over the years given the thousands of hours strapped into the snug confines of Van's superb design. Many of these I incorporated into the X, and it reeks of old and some new tech.
It's painted in MAF's livery to pay tribute to Missionary Aviators around the world. www.maf.org

My advice?
1. Get your Six back and go thru it stem to stern, seeing what you can and can't live with.
2. Get on the phone to Van's during builder assist time and see what parts they can make for you. Four and Six specific items can still be custom ordered.
3. Get on the classifieds on this site and place a "parts wanted" ad for what you need. You'd be surprised what people have laying around they'll sell. Just look at EBay!
4. Find an engine shop nearby who can overhaul your 0-320 with a few HP upgrade mods (I did this on my RV4).
5. Get her flying, again!

V/R
Smokey
[email protected]

RVX (photo courtesy [email protected])

Last edited:
Well, it would appear as though there is consensus on retrieving MY RV-6 and rebuilding it. I like that idea. It saves both time and money.

I know for sure that I'd want to reskin the lower left wing because the current operator took an off-runway excursion and found a landing light, leaving a nice crease in the skin. That's as simple as drilling out the rivets and using the existing skin as a hole template. Also, I need to rebuild one aileron because it too has a nice crease on the upper surface for unknown reasons.

I think I will take possession of the aircraft, disassemble at the airport and bring it home for a complete rebuild. The engine now has around 3,000 hours and is due for a remanufacture. I can inspect every aspect of the aircraft to my satisfaction and replace/repair as necessary.

Yes, this will be a much lower bar, and in the end I can enjoy an aircraft that I probably should have never sold to begin with.

We will be in touch :)

:cool: Gary. We'll be following your ride, good luck!

Nice, “simple” yet modern and elegant paint scheme Smokey.

I guess the greatest thing going for your old '6' is that after 20 years, it's still in one piece!

Maybe the 'rough condition' your friends reported is paint/upholstery deep, and re-equiping it would be in your plans for a new project anyhow.

It wouldn't hurt, or cause you any additional delay (new kit wise), to bring the old 6 in and see how bad it really is. If nothing else, it could be a potential parts bin for your next project.

As for the other model profiles, I (am quite biased here) haven't found a RV I didn't like flying, including the 6/6A! If your flying profile is 100 mile hops, throttle back & enjoy the ride.

edit- I guess I should have read post#12! Good luck with the re-birthing!!!

Last edited:
My Vote

Hello there, I would take the plane back so that you could part it out, or practice on it again. I would then build a 14 QB. I think it would be a quick and interesting build for you. Use your old 6 to get in the game and then sell it once you have improved what has been neglected. That will get you back a little of what you put in to the 6. Good luck

If an everyday passenger and prolonged XC aren't considerations, a light-as-possible RV8 with a minimalist panel and a fixed prop would be a blast.

Next RV

Get her back! If you are the repairman that is a big plus! I regret selling my 6 in 07 to a person that parted it out and removed it from service. It is gone forever. For no one to enjoy! Arlington winner, Osh winner and Van’s calendar April 2005 and Van’s t-shirt.It sickin me so much that I’m having a hard time building again but I am in tribute to my girl N164JH. Yellowtail out!!!! I am building another 6 in memory! I wish you the best in what you decide.

Back