What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X..VNAV...and Imported User Waypoints

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
I created a flight plan with user defined waypoints in Garmin Pilot and exported them to my GPS175 which my GDU 370/375 immediately displayed.

IMG_26.jpeg

During export I got a message saying the names of my user waypoints were changed to USR001, USR002, USR003, etc...

During flight I attempted entering crossing restrictions for the user waypoints to get VNAV rolling. However when scrolling through the flight plan waypoints on the GDU 375 it showed multiple USR00 waypoints, which I just assumed were the sequential usr waypoints. However, entering altitude information for one of the USR00 waypoints changed the information for all.

Anyone have any experience with VNAV using the combination of hardware/software I have? GDU 370 & 375, GPS 175, and Garmin Pilot

Perhaps there is a 6 or 7 character limit for waypoint names in the G3X?

Sorry that wasn't it. I renamed the User Waypoints in Garmin Pilot to only 5 characters and when exported to the GPS 175 they were still renamed to USR001, USR002, etc. Enroute I though there was the possibility my renaming in Garmin Pilot didn't change the User Waypoint names in the GPS175 and GDU375 because the lat/long was the same...however, I entered a new User Waypoint along my route and exported to GPS 175 and it changed the name to USR005.

Also this may be moot because the GDU 375 may only allow VNAV entry for descent planning for one waypoint at a time. Unless it's apart of a terminal procedure with multiple published crossing restrictions.

Still learning this system. The good news it's turned too cold to fly IMC so I have a few months to figure this all out before I really need it.

Also this may be moot because the GDU 375 may only allow VNAV entry for descent planning for one waypoint at a time. Unless it's apart of a terminal procedure with multiple published crossing restrictions.
Hello Tim,

Your G3X system (V11.80 and later) does support external navigators with VNAV support for terminal procedures with single or multi-point step-downs. The GTN 6XX/7XX navigators have this capability.

While your GPS 175 does not have this capability, your G3X system does support single point VNAV descents to any waypoint at a specified altitude and descent rate.

You can always contact us by phone or email shown below if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

While your GPS 175 does not have this capability

Thanks Steve...got it!

I guess I was expecting the GPS 175 to perform the same VNAV functions of a GTN navigator since it does LPV. Basically I was expecting a GTN without the NAV/COM. Seems to me if a WAAS GS could be computed for an approach, any VNAV function could be computed in the terminal environment. I hope this is something a future update can fix like it did to the GTN.

Another question...the Garmin website and docs talk about the ability to fly RF legs...However, there are no approaches in the database that have RF legs, such as the RNAV (RNP) Y 22L or RNAV (RNP) X 22L KMDW. I don't know there's any practical reason to have the capability to shoot these approaches since there's LPVs that get you lower minimums and I think all of these approaches require an LOA to fly, but just wondering why they don't exist in the database.

Tim

Back