What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Protecting raw exterior (on the cheap)

jwyatt

Well Known Member
Lots of talk lately about polishing has got me thinking. My plane has been flying for 4+ years in its raw alclad glory. It's definitely dulled, and I fear it's showing some light surface corrosion. Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to get budgetary approval to have it painted for years... is there any "temporary" method, product, or practice that will a) remove existing corrosion and b) protect the surface against damage, without interfering with future paint -- and is cheap?

I've read many of the polish threads, and studied up on the Perfect Polish and Nuvite sites to learn about the process. From what I understand, the polishing doesn't seem to impart any level of protection to the metal. The chemistry teacher in our house tentatively agrees, saying that the natural oxidation layer is already protecting it and removing that with polish would just be counterproductive, so best to leave it raw and forget about the dull blah surface until taking it to paint. True/false?

It looks like $800 or so would get the basics of a polish setup. But, I have enough trouble finding time between work and weather to fly it, so I can't really commit to 100+ hours of polishing, hence my desire to paint eventually...I love to tinker with the systems, but would rather spend my time flying than polishing. At the same time, I don't want to see it corrode away for lack of care. But, no way do I have the $10k for paint either. I rent my hangar space and don't have a shop to attempt a DIY paint job.

Any advice welcomed...

(This could have gone in either Painting or Polishing, mods please move if you feel it fits better elsewhere.)

I bought an airplane that had been polished it's whole 25 year life up until about 5 years before I bought it. At that time, the second owner did not keep up with polishing. Then I bought it and took it and had it painted for an even $5K out the door. It wasn't a show quality paint job, but I'm still happy with it 7 years later. It may be more than you want to spend up front, but it may be the cheapest in the long run.

Maybe be a "half-way" compromise?

A Swift owner told me that many Swifts are painted on the lower surfaces only to reduce the polishing area to the most visible, and easier to reach, parts only.

Less work with half a paint job...:)

Since you raised the question...

It is very premature for me to be thinking about how I'm going to be finishing my -9A. I have always assumed I'd be painting it. But I have to say - I saw a -12 the other day with a perfectly acceptable paint job. When I asked the builder about it, he told me to look closer - it was a vinyl wrap. Got me thinking that may be the way to go.

Has anyone out there done that? Thoughts? Price?

- Lars

Be wary of silicone-based and/or anti-corrosion fluids (e.g., ACF-50, Boelube, CorrosionX, etc.) as a temporary protectant if you intend to paint the plane within a year or two. Such protectants apparently are difficult to remove as part of the paint prep. I have heard that painters prefer at least a year or more between application of protectant and painting.

During the build I always assumed that my 7A would ultimately be painted. Well, 5 years has passed since completion and it hasn't seen any paint. I'm rather proud of my polished, mirror-like, finish. It's become somewhat of an addiction to keep it looking good. Me and my Nuvite S do spend a bit of time together! I have found that it doesn't take all that much effort to maintain a good shine, and it's an opportunity to inspect the exterior skins. Besides, I'd hate to see the well balanced controls removed in preparation for painting. Just my thoughts.

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

Vinyl

Planning to alodine my exterior then vinyl wrap before final assembly.
If anything changes, the alodine will protect it and add zero weight.

It is very premature for me to be thinking about how I'm going to be finishing my -9A. I have always assumed I'd be painting it. But I have to say - I saw a -12 the other day with a perfectly acceptable paint job. When I asked the builder about it, he told me to look closer - it was a vinyl wrap. Got me thinking that may be the way to go.

Has anyone out there done that? Thoughts? Price?

- Lars

I vinyl wrapped mine myself (with some unskilled helpers) before final assembly. The alclad was not primed or polished, just cleaned. Some of the alclad had been in the workshop for quite a few years as it was a very slow build. Not sure if there was any microscopic corrosion on it or not or whether that would even make a difference with vinyl over top. I don't think I would want to put vinyl over developing corrosion. Having said all that, my vinyl experience was/is very good and would probably do it again. Faster, cheaper, lighter than paint and no special chemicals, paint booth, respirators etc. After 125 hours and almost 2 years, the vinyl is holding up very well (not perfect but almost no one knows it's vinyl until they're told.). I used 3M 1080, white and metallic black. The fiberglass parts (cowl, wheel pants, wing tips) are painted to match the vinyl.

2qkjt4x.jpg

Bevan

Last edited:
My aircraft is has the exterior primed a light grey colour. A darker grey was added in areas to make it look like a camouflage paint scheme.

There are many advantages to going this way;

I get just more comments on my aircraft then I had with previous expensive paint

It was dirt cheap

I can touch up scratches with spray bomb.

I do not really worry about taking the cowling off etc.

When I was racing the plane I was always making a lot of modifications and the primer paint scheme worked great for that.

a light wet sanding with 600 grit paper will give you a nice finish with good quality primer.

I am starting my 12th flying season with the airplane and I will admit that it is looking a bit tired. Time for more primer! Maybe a desert scheme this time...

had it painted for an even $5K out the door. It wasn't a show quality paint job, but I'm still happy with it 7 years later.
Mine's no showplane for sure; if I could find a shop for that rate I'd go for it. Still waiting for a few ballpark quotes to come back but one known good shop responded at $11-14k for a basic two-color with a stripe. Ouch.

After 125 hours and almost 2 years, the vinyl is holding up very well (not perfect but almost no one knows it's vinyl until they're told.). I used 3M 1080, white and metallic black.
Bevan, looks great! I haven't read much about the vinyl and what's involved with the application process, how to make shapes, etc. Does seem as though one would need to, or at least ought to, prep the skin somehow to remove any existing corrosion; perhaps less of an issue on a newly built airframe.

My aircraft is has the exterior primed a light grey colour.
Yeah, if I had known it would still be unpainted after 5 years I may have shot the primer I used on the fiberglass (PPG DPLF) on the whole thing. I got a reasonable finish--which is to say better than I expected for an amateur with a $40 gun--and it's held up decent.

Back