What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

acceptable amount of play in the manual elevator trim?

Triumph1974

Well Known Member
For those of you with the manual elevator trim, does your trim tab have any play in it? If so, how much?

My Tech inspector came out yesterday to inspect the RV7A as I prepare for the airworthy inspection and noticed that I have about 1/8" or so downward play in the trim tab when it is in the "middle range". We found that the play is coming from the "ball and hook" connection in the cable where is connects to the adjustable shaft in the cabin. If the cable is adjusted fully up or down to the stop limit all the play is gone.

Is this amount of play normal common in the manual trim tabs?

Thanks for your input!

Free play in trim tab

A few years back I had similar concerns and contacted vans. They said 1/8" is acceptable. A lot of slack develops over the length of the cable due to the bends. Separately, as previously posted, my FSDO WOULD NOT SIGN OFF due to the wiggle on the tab. A month later they returned and it became a non issue! Good luck.

Jim Diehl 7A

Mine is electric trim, but you may find the following useful anyway

I have a little play in my elevator trim tab. I don't know how much; I've never measured it. Anyway it's never been a problem in 10 years/1300 hours. I've flown it at all weights, CG, and airspeeds up to redline.

I inadvertently drilled the hole for the clevis pin on the trim tab horn a little too large for the pin. I thought I would either make a bushing or install a larger diameter pin if it ever became a problem. It never has, so I never got around to correcting it.

Last edited:
Back