What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to take to Hangar?

bret

Well Known Member
So what did you need at the hangar that you did not have in the shop at home, I can already see myself making that 30 min drive and forgot something. Did you move all your construction tools, band saw drill press ect? looks like I am going to need a small air compressor and hand tools at least? going from a well equipped, bright lighting, warm, carpeted home garage-shop to a dark cold metal can with one outlet.....

Doesn't matter what you bring, you will still forget lots of stuff (at least that was my experience) and not realize it until the most inconvenient time....

Hand tools, riveting tools, fiberglass tools, compressor, chargers for your drills, lawn chair (that is important), power bar and extension cord, work lights, etc

Last edited:
If you need a band saw and/or drill press at the hangar, you moved prematurely. Pretty much everything else, you will need.

Rule #1 is, don't move to the hangar until you can't do anything else at home. And, you WILL forget something. Ref.; Murphy's Law!

Bring it all

Bring everything you can... It's that simple. It's your new home away from.. wait, no, it's home.

My airplane is too big to build at home, so the hangar IS the workshop. Still, I end up ferrying a huge amount of "stuff" back and forth between home and hangar, and I always forget something. It's a fact of life.

Never forget that somebody at the airport likely has the tool or part you need. I keep a little "lending note" on a blackboard in my hangar so I can keep track of all the bits and pieces that have been loaned to others. More than once they have bailed me out, too.

IPod--to make the time go by faster---Bob's idea of beer is great---Lee has a 'lounge' in the hangar, restroom, fridge, microwave, A/C, chairs, stereo-----yeah we know==
Tom

I just completed some upgrades to the 6. I also had just moved all of my tools to my storage hangar 2 miles away where I will be setting up a more formal shop than at the home hangar. I probably made a dozen trips to get tools I needed back from the other hangar. I just cleaned up and moved them all back. It took all of the space in my long bed Chevy truck. I was shocked at how many tools you need to do some simple work.
Take ALL of your tools, except as Mel says, your big power stuff that you hopefully are far enough along that you won't need.

I moved everything to the hangar (45 min away) but the large bench/floor mounted tools (bench grinder, drill press, etc) and a small batch of clecos and clamps with a set of cleco pliers. In the few instances where I needed to take something home from the hangar to work on, I took appropriate hand tools with me. You WILL need a compressor at the hangar, and a compressor at home is, of course, always useful. I bought a second one for the hangar.
MUrphy's Law for Hangar People: "Most hangar work sessions and/or all home repair projects will find a need for a tool resident at the other location." You can take that to the bank. :D

Nothing . . . put all of your tools in your vehicle so they are always with you!

Depends on how far the build is complete. I just took my whole tool chest, and bought a mobile toolbox that I really do keep in the car. The tools in the car are the ones that I might need at home.

I did take both my band saw and drill press. Can't remember using my drill press since I moved, but the band saw I have.

When I moved I still needed to install the tail, wings, and front top skin along with the 10,000 other little things you find that aren't done.

Bret,
Everyone has their opinion on when to move to the hangar. I moved earlier than I probably should have but I was stagnant and needed a motivation to keep pounding away. I only have a 15 minute drive so it isn't a big deal, but it motivated me to see things being put together. I don't get to go out late in the evening to work for a few minutes, but when I am in the hangar, I am more focused and more productive.

Have fun with the assembly and finishing your plane!

Moving

Bret
Don't forget the airplane!:D

Seriously, check power. Mine is anemic. Only one duplex 110 so I may end up with a gen set if serious power is needed (fingers crossed).

I just did this, so it's fresh in my mind. Basically, I took everything except my drill press. I took the bandsaw with me and am glad I did because I've used it for more than airplane construction tasks. I left my big compressor in the workshop at home and have a little pancake style compressor at the airport, but haven't needed it yet. I'm still taking bits and pieces to the airport, but I haven't had a situation yet where I was dead in the water without something.

In my case, power fabrication tools were not required at the hangar. However, nearly every other hand tool that was used during construction moved to the hangar. An electric hand drill and a heat shrink gun are about the only hand power tools I have at the hangar.

You will need a small compressor for misc final tasks and continuing maintenance. Our hangars are limited on power so the compressor had to be pretty wimpy.

It was certainly a nuisance during the period of learning what to keep at home vs hangar. Still is sometimes.

***EDIT*** While it did take 4 years, I recently picked up a used cube fridge. Very handy on those hot days.

Last edited:
What I take to hangar

I took just about everything including compressor. Nothing worse than not having the wrench, etc., that's back at the house. Current is weak at hangar and compressor will only 'power up' when empty! Other than that, it's a great get-away. Refrigerator is also a big plus. In winter I plug in my Walmart engine preheater for a few hours before flight.
Couldn't be happier.

Jim Diehl 7A

All your hand tools, assuming your moving with a mostly complete airplane. Then go to the Lowes, Sears, or the whatever airplane supply store and buy a complete set of non airplane specific tools for the home workshop. If you don't the tool you need at home will surly be at the hanger and the tool you need at the hanger will have somehow made its way home. If the home shop is air-conditioned you'll be taking somethings to work on home and there's always a project or two requiring hand tools at home.

Ok, just did a HF run, pancake compressor for tires and rivet gun.....for wing bolts if the brass hammer don't work. another set of hand tools.....set one at work, set two at home, mod set three for hanger. o ya the airplane...been wrapping parts for days now. bought some more moving blankets. lights cords......man, truck and trailer are going to be full. working on trailer mods for the plane, I think it will stay on....blocks and bolts and blocks and screws and blocks and straps and blocks.... and a good one on a chair, are airport managers weird on non explosion proof lights. like a florescent...or ten?

...buy a complete set of non airplane specific tools for the home workshop. If you don't the tool you need at home will surly be at the hanger and the tool you need at the hanger will have somehow made its way home.
That's exactly right! (I learned the hard way.)

...are airport managers weird on non explosion proof lights. like a florescent...or ten?
That's not been my experience at two hangars, but YMMV. Get yourself a large fire extinguisher (or two). A microwave oven is handy. You'll need several extension cords and a couple outlet strips because you'll be plugging in chargers for your battery drill(s), battery lights, and aircraft band tranceiver. You'll need several chairs because you'ill have lots of company and you won't want to be a poor host. ;)

My hangar only had one outlet so power distribution was a problem. A few power cords fixed that. The overhead lighting isn't great so I had to buy a couple of additional lights too.

I took everything that wasn't nailed down

Built a nice little shop in my hangar. Work benches, drill press, bench grinders, band saw, compressor, roll around tool chest, old office chair (for sitting and staring at my work), small fridge, microwave and last but not least a small port-a-potty. Now the word is out, no more privacy. Also hung three 4 bulb high intensity florescent fixtures.

I'm sure if I ever move out I'll have two or three of every tool.

Last edited:
I'm nowhere near ready to move to hangar but I like to keep a clean shop so -- shop vac, brooms, etc... would be good to have.

Depends ...

Depends first on many factors that vary ...
1) What model are you building?
2) How far away is the hangar?
3) How much $ do you want to spend?
4) Everybody is 80% done, and 80% to go ... so discount that.
5) What's the WX like? (AZ Summer or Ohio winter)
6) What airport inspections or policies apply?
7) How big is your trunk?

I moved RV-6A Quick Build 18 months before engine start, over 1/3rd of the build hours were in the hangar. Took a compressor, all four basic bench tools, several heavy duty power cords, air hose extension, Ice Chest (freeze Gatorade bottles of water nightly and swap). Every tool in the inventory has been used there.

You may need solvents, rattle can paint, or other chemicals - storage (metal containers) and airport rules.

Bought 48" LED shop light, and flood light. Took cherry picker for engine mount, and plane lift. While board for notes, wood compound miter saw (clamps, screws) to make work benches. No kitchen sink.

For the uninitiated - the RV-6/6A and earlier have a totally different wing spar and issues regarding what can be done at home.

Go to Goodwill and buy a $30 couch. Helps to extend the work session if you can get some lunch, take a nap, and then get back to it.

All good suggestions, forgot a fire extinguisher, a vacuum, and broom stuff, this is way more intense than I figured, never thought I would get this far...still many steps to go.....

Not just any fire extinguisher!

Fire extinguisher is a necessity, but don't buy the most commonly used dry-chemical type with the A-B-C rating. They use ammonium phosphate, which is corrosive to aluminum when combined with water, even high humidity. Find a dry chemical extinguisher with just the B-C rating ... they're OK around aluminum. The B-C type are harder to find and cost more.
I was unaware of this until vandals broke into our airport and several hangars, including mine. They emptied my extinguisher completely ... all over the airplane and everything in the hangar, like maybe 1/8" thick or more. Airport maintenance staff told me of the corrosion issue on A-B-C extinguishers. I then had to spend no less than 40-50 hours cleaning every speck of that stuff off the airplane, tools, toolboxes, shelves, workbench, you name it. It was horrible job.
Yes... CO2 extinguishers are fine, but if you have a fuel-based fire you'll want a good size extinguisher, and the large CO2 units are pricey.

To hanger

Doesn't matter what you bring, you will still forget lots of stuff (at least that was my experience) and not realize it until the most inconvenient time....

Hand tools, riveting tools, fiberglass tools, compressor, chargers for your drills, lawn chair (that is important), power bar and extension cord, work lights, etc
Took everything except a bench top drill press. Could have used it but didn't need it. Still did many extra trips to get things I thought were needed! Good luck. Sounds like the trip is short - all good.

Fire extinguisher is a necessity, but don't buy the most commonly used dry-chemical type with the A-B-C rating. They use ammonium phosphate, which is corrosive to aluminum when combined with water, even high humidity. Find a dry chemical extinguisher with just the B-C rating ... they're OK around aluminum. The B-C type are harder to find and cost more.
I was unaware of this until vandals broke into our airport and several hangars, including mine. They emptied my extinguisher completely ... all over the airplane and everything in the hangar, like maybe 1/8" thick or more. Airport maintenance staff told me of the corrosion issue on A-B-C extinguishers. I then had to spend no less than 40-50 hours cleaning every speck of that stuff off the airplane, tools, toolboxes, shelves, workbench, you name it. It was horrible job.
Yes... CO2 extinguishers are fine, but if you have a fuel-based fire you'll want a good size extinguisher, and the large CO2 units are pricey.

That is terrible! did they find out who did this, so did they jump the fence, seams like a federal felony.

They broke into a perimeter hangar with a public outside door, then into the area between hangar rows. They kicked in the doors on 6 or 7 hangars (including mine) They spray painted obscenities on my RV and the Warrior next door, and then threw the empty fire extinguisher thru the windscreen on a friends restored Cessna 120 in yet another hangar. And yes, they caught them .... two 16 yr olds known to police and previously expelled from the public high school. Because they're minors, their names were never publicized anywhere and they were headed to juvenile court. We never heard what punishment, if any, the court levied on them. They didnt steal anything .... just did senseless damage to airplanes. Very, very frustrating.

Geez, Terry, that sucks. So senseless. And hard on the psyche to see your pride and joy defaced. I hope those kids learned their lesson.

Bret, does the airport provide extinguishers for the hangar? If so, one less thing for you to deal with. It's mind-boggling how much stuff I've accumulated in my hangar in a year!!

Geez, Terry, that sucks. So senseless. And hard on the psyche to see your pride and joy defaced. I hope those kids learned their lesson.

Bret, does the airport provide extinguishers for the hangar? If so, one less thing for you to deal with. It's mind-boggling how much stuff I've accumulated in my hangar in a year!!

No they don't provide one, ill need to look for one as described above. Trailer is finally done and ready for that trip to the airport. also if anyone local is reading this, I will be donating a nice rolling wing stand and maybe sell the fuse rotisserie cheap! I really enjoyed this build!

Boy, you said it. Only another homebuilder can understand what that feels like. The vandalism occurred when I was running a polished RV .... before I painted her in January. Seeing the white spray paint on both my polished wing AND across the R side of the canopy literally made me feel sick. I was actually a little physically ill over the whole thing for more than two days .... partially caused by lack of sleep. I laid awake for hours trying to make sense of sixteen year olds who would do something like that. And then there was the obsessive thoughts of "why me?".

That's really common sadly with young people. It has happened here. Bored kids looking for "adventure".

In fact my uncle did it to a neighbor's tractor when he was 14, so around 1950. He denied it all, not us - we'd never do anything like that etc. In those days the front tires, which they slashed, were filled with oil (?) and after 15 minutes of denying any involvement the cop just curiously asked "did the oil dribble out or spurt out" and he blurted "oh it sprayed out like crazy". Oops.... there was a pregnant pause and his Dad, my Grandpa, who was standing there, just hung his head. Gramps was the mayor of the little rural town and a very solid citizen farmer. The boys paid for every cent of the repair. I expect that there were some boot prints on some behinds too. Not his proudest moment and I don't think he even knows that Mom told me about it.

So this kind of stuff has always happened with a few young men who are lacking direction. It is nothing new. But that doesn't make it any less painful or frustrating. If my project was vandalized I would be beside myself and I would also be sick. I am very sorry it happened to you.

I would think that the insurance company would go after the parents, assuming they paid out. Insurance companies don't typically like paying money without recovering it.

OK, Ready to rock and roll, solo loaded last night with the assistance of a trailer winch, heading out to the airport in a few. and I can remember when I thought finishing the HS was Exciting! now to find a glow stick to put on the tail....

20160912_180818_zpsb4gvq4m7.jpg

Every thing.

Take it all and the beer fridge. Then you will find after you did that that you will need more including extra beer for the want-ta-bees and the tool you don't know you need now. Your going to find that the hangar is your second girl friends home and you will be spending much of your spare time there even after she is never finished, But is flying. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Cool colours! Is that an "ECG trace" going down the side? Very cool.

Good luck with the move!

Cheers,

Whew, that's done...no tickets or dents, of course I forgot the cleaning supplies so the wife brought the leaf blower, brooms, and coffee! apparently this Hangar doubled as a butcher shop, dressing out deer or something in there, don't know why he did not clean it out before he turned it over, o well, its mine now, and clean :D ya HOO! Got the EMP installed for the last time!

Back