What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any good aviation dog names out there?

dwranda

Well Known Member
Hello all. I know this isn't exactly RV related, but we got a new Golden Retriever puppy last week and are having a terrible time naming him. I think a cool aviation name would be nice. The only one I am coming up with is Cleko. Any ideas out there?
2q9mdyf.jpg
[/IMG]

Over the years

I've had a Scottie named Flaps and a Golden named Hobbs. Both long since R.I.P.

On an unrelated note, current Golden is officially "Chester the World's Greatest Dog" per the AKC. Anyone catch the reference to one of my favorite movies? It's airplane-related;)

-Stormy

Hmmm

You could call hime "Primer"...but that would start a whole new on-going topic. I know a few that have used their N-number phonetic like "Sierra" or "Kilo", but I dont know if you have reserved one or favor one yet. Of course "Barron" has been used by a bunch. My dog is simply named Scooby, but he does have his own RV pedal plane.

Never heard of an airport dog named Chock or Mag, but they've both probably been used at some point.

When I got my glider tickets, the airport dog was Rudders.

For those of you interested in Europas (the airplane, that is), the prototype was G-ELSA. ELSA was the name of their dog (I think it was a Labrador retriever, not sure). Then when the airplane was re-registered in the states, it was N512SA. E is the fifth letter, L is the twelfth. You get the idea.

How about Goggles for a name? Better than Fuel Tester...

Ed

Rivet, Bucky, Wingnut, Rudder (aka "Tail Wagger"), etc. I'm sure you can think of something appropriate.

ex-Navy guy I met had a dog named 'Bolter'.

Red Marron (RIP) had a cat named 'Ripon'.

Our labradoodle is named Lindbergh, although that often gets shortened to Lindy. Its always funny, however, the hear the answering machine say "Hi, Col. Lindbergh is ready for her check up" from the vet.

One of my foster dogs came in handy when I needed a 15 lb weight so we named him Rivet (but I suspect his name changed once adopted):

CPz4RqfI1DQgvCo2SimQ7HRDHF-plYUN4xUuCRwVJWlldj3xjdyLaruMUkwwJFAfQu4QRw1uVdmeIMdCGlSL4Ij9xlVHFqb2SnddUhAgVtiO2dDyZK-_n6J_jf_UmaQhrTbR25lVBBmQNxmOVsAmj4UWObh2-wfQ_Um9fEL1H5u5omniL6pclobgYU8X60KSb15O_vGNrxqAftWGct4MuQ5B4IuJJCGSOH8O4UOQ_1FuhTlFz7gHTkHHAZM6913Dt5cabgaPt3E21yITDBnPBChM7Y1nIvCRSydlaqzuS6NMqKkEYD1ittzPHVwe0FIX6TEZMhJD4c8c7qsm0iFZBsClJOlv_HGSsDg4Kyz5yZnDJBhTy7FhuhH6YA7Gm0ik9GB26Lz1V2v25hOYxightX7mwka6dKxmtjuTl-eTwf5nlHXAeL8IdRF19-u6QTL8rZtmfgaNfc9rM9twab3O5zU9gIGVyMqqVZ4R6i2DDq507UV-KFjg8jkdeIUH0LWmJFiqNR7rRSG-OCy-po5Rb6fSqtLUwJoTPhaCk8JzxgBWBxiCI8Szekk0xMnSME98cCtNKZtfxcet77v_gtqsO8iDzZULWJTM=w1160-h861-no

Aviation Name

As an AWACS "Weapons Controller" (now retired), I named our shih-tzu "FURBALL", after our brevity comm word describing a number of a/c all going round and round in the merge. :)

AD

As far as I'm concerned you can't do any better than AD. Stands for the obvious plus airport dog. My youngest kids initials are AD..........What a coincidence :rolleyes:

What a lot of great ideas!! So far I like rudders, solo, and Tango(or Tango Delta). It made my wife and I at the same tim. e could tell people we call him by his middle name. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is kinda long to say. He's a puppy now so kinda fits with the destruction he is trying to inflict on everything. Keep em coming, this is fun. Giving me something to think about as I am cutting the holes in my leading edges for the lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garmin
Dynon
Flop-Tube
Amelia
Bob (for Hoover)
Wiley (for Post)
Roscoe (for Turner)
Gilmore (Roscoe Turner's pet lion)
Catto
Van
Dick (for Van)
Squelch (good for a dog that barks too much)
ProSeal
Squeezer
Bucker
Mags
Spark(y)
Chuck (Yeager)
Glennis (Yeager)
Poncho (Barnes)
Ace
Meatball (for the naval aviators)
George (autopilot)

He's a puppy now so WTF kinda fits with the destruction he is trying to inflict on everything.

Not airplane related, but several years ago I had a pup just like that..I named him "Rascal", which fit him to a tee. He never outgrew the name... :D

Our last dog was called Rivet, she was supposed to be a shop dog but hated the noise.
Our four cats are called, Buck, Piston, Rod, and Crank

New Dog is called Camber, (relationship between top and bottom of wing) We were going to call her Camshaft but that did not seem to be feminine enough. Eventually we would like her to have a batch of puppies and we were worried about the type of male dog that would be attached to a girl named Camshaft.
I had visions of a tattooed Rottweiler/Shepard/Pitbull cross coming to visit!!!!

Dog Name

Not quite aviation related unless you count space, but how about Sirius?

The brightest star visible from any part of Earth is Sirius in the constellation Canis Major the Greater Dog. Sirius is sometimes called the Dog Star.

You could call him "Beacon" and if he's ever neutered, you could call him "NDB"
for "Non-Directional Beacon," meaning he'll quit chasing the female dogs. :eek:

Of course, that is Old School, so maybe you could just call him "EFIS."

My cattle dog is named Rascal for similar reasons. The black lab is Ziggy, since he couldn't walk straight without getting distracted.

For aero names, Sonic, Cirrus (for the clouds, not the plane), Aero, Ow son of a b*%ch can't believe I drilled my finger again, Gyro (is this obsolete with EFIS now?), Looper, Immelmann, Manfred.

Give it time, sometimes it just hits you. Took us about a week for Rascal. One day I just said "What are we gonna name this little rascal", my wife smiled, and that was is.

The first time we fed him he sucked up the food like a vacuum and I said how about Hoover? The family just kinda went.... eh. I thought it was good and it's also aviation related. Maybe I'll talk them into it. I remember seeing Bob Hoover at an airshow fly in his twin engine when I was a kid. It was awesome!

Mayday
Banzai
Kate
Zeke
Betty
Zero
Mig
Mossie
but again, imagine walking out your hangar door & calling out 'MAYDAY, MAYDAY... where are you!'

Back