What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque for oil cooler lines

Refer to the builders construction manual. Because some of the fittings have a specific 'clocking', an actual torque isnt achieveble. So, generally, snug then 1.5 to 2 turns more WITH THREAD SEALANT, being aware of any necessary clocking.

Tom

Dennis--1-2 flats is for AN nuts---the op was referring to NPT threaded fittings, so 1.5-2 Rotations after lightly snug.

Tom

Fitting torque

This comes up occasionally. Could someone put all the info into one thread and make it a sticky.
This thread is NPT fittings. Consensus seems to be 1.5-2 turns past lightly snug taking clocking into account.
Then there's flare fittings. Aluminum to aluminum, aluminum to steel, steel to aluminum, steel to steel, staninless to aluminum, stainless to steel, yada, yada. What are the torque values or is it flats? What radio station should be on? Rock, Country, Jazz, Blues? Seriously. One thread with some common sense postings or tables that are easy to understand would be greatly appreciated. Military Spec seem to enjoy confusion. Look at what they did to AN part numbers. :D
Heck, I would be happy to compile something to a spreadsheet if I had the data. Tabs for each material maybe.
Common folks. Lets help each other. Isn't that why we do this crazy thing?

This comes up occasionally. Could someone put all the info into one thread and make it a sticky.
This thread is NPT fittings. Consensus seems to be 1.5-2 turns past lightly snug taking clocking into account.
Then there's flare fittings. Aluminum to aluminum, aluminum to steel, steel to aluminum, steel to steel, staninless to aluminum, stainless to steel, yada, yada. What are the torque values or is it flats? What radio station should be on? Rock, Country, Jazz, Blues? Seriously. One thread with some common sense postings or tables that are easy to understand would be greatly appreciated. Military Spec seem to enjoy confusion. Look at what they did to AN part numbers. :D
Heck, I would be happy to compile something to a spreadsheet if I had the data. Tabs for each material maybe.
Common folks. Lets help each other. Isn't that why we do this crazy thing?

Van's gives the instructions for NPT installations as Wirejock describes above in Section 5. Specifically 5.27 Fluid Fittings.
https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/5/

For the flared aluminum fitting torque values or the alternative tightening method Van's links to Aeroquip's technical data shown below.

Torque_Spec_Aluminum_Fittings.jpg

Bulletin JA14A

Interesting. I see references all over the place to Bulletin JA14A but cannot locate the document.

AN Torque table

I found this table. Correct?

Attachments

• techlibrary_torque_values.pdf
    73.4 KB · Views: 237
Back