What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pirep: Excellent transition training in KS

koda2

Well Known Member
Been awhile since I had done any flying so I took an RV-7A transition training course in Eldorado, KS which I rate as excellent.

Instructor: Caleb Marsh (Marsh Flying Services) in Eldorado, KS. Very experienced instructor and Van's approved. He has an easy-going, but no-nonsense, focused style of training that mirrors Mike Seiger's training in Oregon. He is CFII and does training in the certified world as well as having flown multiple RVs (see his web site). He is also an A&P and has maintained a number of RVs in the past.

Airport: Eldorado Municipal is a non-towered municipal airport outside of Wichita's Class C airspace with two well-maintained intersecting runways. Multiple nearby airports available to vary the procedures. ICT in Wichita is 20nm if you want it.

Aircraft: IO-360 RV-7A.

Experience: You can learn as fast as you want. We had a session of ground work first and then we flew non-stop until I was saturated, recouped and then flew some more, for 2.5 days. Went thru the gamut of training. The RV nose wheel experience, takeoffs and landings of all kind, normal, x-wind (KS has lots of wind), soft, short, go-round, engine out on approach, full flaps, no flaps, out of trim, u name it.

Lots of air work, lots of stalls. Approach to stalls, stalls, power off, power on (vertical), turning stalls, turns, steep turns, and a bunch of short cross country hops to a several airports with training along the way. Even lunch at a private airpark with several RVs sitting on the ramp.
Pretty much anything you might encounter in an RV with a special emphasis on speed control during approaches which is critical.

Transportation and lodging: Eldorado is about 25 miles from Wichita on the Kansas Turnpike. If you are driving, the roads are mostly interstate, or, fly to Wichita and rent a car. I stayed at a bare-bones (cheep) motel to save money but there are multiple places in Eldorado which is 10 minutes or so to the airport.

Overall impression: For me, it was the best training I could have gotten to get comfortable with an RV. I highly recommend it.

koda2

Training

Wow! Thanks for posting that. I need to start transition training. Sounds awesome and much closer to me. Also exactly the same set up as mine.

Back